denied at bkk, waiting in detention

Already sent application for TE, will make a TE thread after I get results on that. Those who have warned me about to overstay on record potentially impacting success TE completion have been considered but don't think it will be an issue for reasons previously stated in this thread. In either case we will find out in a month or so once TE is fully processed or denied 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:00 PM, Rama said:

you're just the exact person immigration is targeting, someone who is gaming the system - you're living in bkk - you're not 'traveling' - have a lease agreement, etc., you're not a tourist! get a real visa!

I wonder why so many long stayers on the wrong visa (obviously not aware that they are cheating) believe they have a right to be admitted to Thailand.

They should try to enforce their right to be allowed to stay in  China or NK or, or ...

He should know that he has not legal right to be allowed to enter the country. If he don't play to their rules he has to accept what IOs decide.

He should check how foreign long stayers on Tourist visa are treated in his humane and high morality country

The lawless is him - not Thai Immigration.

Edited by sweatalot
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I wonder why so many long stayers on the wrong visa (obviously not aware that they are cheating) believe they have a right to be admitted to Thailand.

They should try to enforce their right to be allowed to stay in  China or NK or, or ...

He should know that he has not legal right to be allowed to enter the country. If he don't play to their rules he has to accept what IOs decide.

He should check how foreign long stayers on Tourist visa are treated in his humane and high morality country

Maybe because they have no rules pertaining to his circumstances to follow.

Would you consider that if they did, he would?   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lkv said:

That was sarcasm ????

I'm serious. When it comes to things being "worth it" it's all relative.

52 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

Would have to agree I have no legal right to enter the country and it's at the discretion of immigration, especially in practice. However I also have a right to enter via any border I want, nothing illegal about that, nothing illegal about giving my passport to Thai immigration and then stamping it saying I can stay here. 

In the end what is right and what is legal doesn't matter that much, this is Thailand where everything is very very grey. It's not what's written as the rules so much as what will actually happen in practice.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, borderlesss said:

Would have to agree I have no legal right to enter the country and it's at the discretion of immigration, especially in practice. However I also have a right to enter via any border I want, nothing illegal about that, nothing illegal about giving my passport to Thai immigration and then stamping it saying I can stay here. 

Where things could get really sticky is if they start detaining people already in the country and deporting them for not being genuine tourists. The same justification as for denying some tourists entry could be used. Given the much more serious consequences, I could imagine many paying immigration off, and it becoming a real money spinner.

4 hours ago, borderlesss said:

Already sent application for TE, will make a TE thread after I get results on that. Those who have warned me about to overstay on record potentially impacting success TE completion have been considered but don't think it will be an issue for reasons previously stated in this thread. In either case we will find out in a month or so once TE is fully processed or denied 

That sounds like a good plan. The Elite visa is expensive but the peace of mind for many years to come can make it worth the price.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tcp7 said:

I would go the ED visa route if I were you.

My friend did an ed visa and was denied entry at suvannabhumi. He came into detention and had to buy his way out with 2000 baht whisky bottle .

Weeks ago.

Glad big joke got rid of corruption months ago... Oh wait.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Austrian26 said:

My friend did an ed visa and was denied entry at suvannabhumi. He came into detention and had to buy his way out with 2000 baht whisky bottle .

Weeks ago.

Time to go full on digital, scan in all Passports, have a head office make the determination online, not some corrupt officer at a desk. Any issues with an officer can then be made via the traveler by phone to the head office referencing the passport thats just been scanned (and the picture taken at the desk). Time to eliminate the middleman (a.k.a the brown envelope collector). Thailand 1.0 needs to fast-track itself to Thailand 4.0

It blows my mind that things are completely digital by now, all Visa's and Passports should be validated online, that way there is no fake Visa's, etc. All checks online will be done based on already entered data in the system, none of this paperwork madness and corrupt officials, Agents, etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

You could try going to Poipet and paying one of the border guys, they do little services there such as taking your passport to Laos and back for you to save you the bother of walking through and queueing, they might also be able to help you with this one.

A 67 year-old Canadian was arrested this year in Thailand after he paid an "agent" in Poipet to sneak him into Thailand from Cambodia.  He paid the agent 5000 baht and the agent put a fake Thai entry stamp in the Canadian's passport.  

Edited by SEtonal

Weeks ago.

Do you have more details about his story?
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 12:18 AM, BritTim said:

Were you trying to enter with a tourist visa, or were you asking for a visa exempt entry? If a visa exempt entry, roughly how many visa exempt entries to Thailand have you had since the middle of 2015?

I was asking for the 30 day visa exempt entry.I have 8 such entries and a tourist visa issued in the Uk.It was the number of times and the amount of time I had spent in Thailand they didn’t seem happy with.When I’m back later this year I’m flying to Australia mid stay for 5 days but now worried about when I get back to Chiang Mai.

thanks for any advice 

They should, but they will not do it, because a computer would give certainty to the system, and we can't have farang having any rights here.

The system is uncertain on purpose, so it can be manipulated as immigration officers see fit. 

And a healthy dose of paranoia to round off your day

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PaulJ said:

I was asking for the 30 day visa exempt entry.I have 8 such entries and a tourist visa issued in the Uk.It was the number of times and the amount of time I had spent in Thailand they didn’t seem happy with.When I’m back later this year I’m flying to Australia mid stay for 5 days but now worried about when I get back to Chiang Mai.

thanks for any advice 

Avoid visa exempt entries in the future. If you must ask for one in an emergency, use a land crossing. If you try to fly in asking for a visa exempt entry, there is a high chance of a denied entry.

If you get a tourist visa while in Australia, and you fly into Chiang Mai (not clearing immigration in Bangkok) prior experience suggests you will most likely be OK. The very safest solution would be both to get a tourist visa, and to enter Thailand via a land crossing. However, the cost and inconvenience of doing that are such that I would not blame you for taking some risks.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for that advice.I’m happy to get the tourist visa I was just concerned that I will get to many in my passport and they will refuse me which would be a real problem for me. I am a tourist I just like spending the UK winter in Thailand it just seems to be getting more difficult.

26 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Thanks very much for that advice.I’m happy to get the tourist visa I was just concerned that I will get to many in my passport and they will refuse me which would be a real problem for me. I am a tourist I just like spending the UK winter in Thailand it just seems to be getting more difficult.

Having a tourist visa increases your chances, but is no guarantee of entry. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, PaulJ said:

If you are doing 60 + 30 then 5 days out re-entering on a 2nd 60 day TV and doing the same again, only once a year, then returning home for 6 months, this shouldn't be a problem.

Just make sure your total yearly stay is less than 180 days.

Edited by Lancashirelad
  • Thanks 1