Got married at our local Amphur in Chiang Rai Province - Report

elcaro

This post got way too long, so for people in a hurry here is a quick summary.

Messed up by not getting affidavit asap. After struggle got a last minute appointment in UK Embassy Bangkok.

Flew in the night before the 8am appointment. Got a translation agency to translate, legalise and send it to my house. Flew back at 2pm. 

Information at the Amphur regarding foreigner as a witness was incorrect, but was expected.

The marriage documents took an hour or so, her name change, new ID and house book update a bit less.
We only conversed in Thai, my pregnant wife sat down most of the time until the name change. No interrogations.

Total time and cost including Bangkok less than 24 hours, and less than 10,000 Baht.

Now for the lengthy version...

The Appointment
Arrived on Single Entry Tourist Visa late February. I knew I needed my British marriage affidavit,

but thought I would first enjoyed some holiday after cold the months in UK.

Missing my pregnant fiancé was also a reason to not linger in BKK. 
When I arrived there were plenty of time slots available at the British embassy,

even in the same week so did not think of it any further.

In March I was ready to go Bangkok only to find out that no slots where available until May. 

I called with UK embassy only to hear that I should just check multiple times a day in case somebody cancelled.

I was told there was no way to get them to contact me when someone cancelled.

This was a nuisance as I only had a single entry and was worried regarding the recent reports of denied entries after multiple tourist visas.

I ended up writing emails to any relevant person at the embassy and the contact forms to explain situation.

With success as I received an email some days later that there was an opening in 2 days. 
Booked the latest flight out of Chiang Rai for the next day, got a hotel near the embassy and booked a flight back for 2pm the following day.

Bangkok
Bangkok went fine, well except for the smell of sewage, lots of stairs, and horrible traffic.

The air was actually a relief compared to Chiang Rai's horrific burning season.

Hotel took way to long to find my booking to check in, but was in bed before 1am.

Got up at 7am was first in the embassy and first out.

There was an issue with my printed affidavit as it said "Chiang Rai" instead of "Chiang Rai Province", but there are two computer available to retype it.

In my hour there, I didn't see anyone getting it right the first time, so I didn't feel too stupid.

Note: Make sure you have all possible information needed with you in a folder as mobiles, laptops, etc. must be handed over at the entrance.  

All in all the affidavit and official passport copy (was not sure if needed at the Amphur, some want it, some do not.

Mine mentioned they wanted a translated copy, but did not mention they needed it legalised. Better safe than sorry). 

It was done in about an hour and cost about 3200 Baht.

Now we needed these documents in Thai.

Google maps showed a couple shops not to far from the UK embassy at Phloen Chit BTS station (little road next to Bangkok bank). 

I went into all the different shops to check prices and speed of delivery, as initially I wanted to get them legalised myself.

Some it would take days, others hours. In the end I found a guy who could do it in 1 hour.

All prices were the same except here did not have to pay an extra 100 for postage.

He also promised to get it dropped off at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the same day so it would get stamped and sent back before Songkran.

For 1000 baht extra this seemed like a good plan.
2800 Baht total (500 per page for translation 400 per page cost at the ministry and 1000 fee).

Uber back to hotel, checked out and off to the airport for a deserved beer.

Total time in Bangkok about 15 hours and spent 8000-9000 Baht. 

The Marriage Registration
Documents arrived the day before Songkran, all looking good.

My mate was staying with me for a week so decided to see if we could get him as a witness.

The Amphur said it was no problem if he got his passport translated and got a stamp on it at the immigration office.

Was sceptical about the stamp possibility so waited with translation and indeed the immigration had never heard of it.

So yesterday finally went with two of our Thai friends to the Amphur.

Arrived around 11am, but this was a mistake, either go much earlier or after 1pm.

We ended up getting our number 2019 with just 3 people before us but including their lunch time it was probably going to be after 2pm.  

After some discussion with the lady behind the counter we were "suggested" to come back around 2pm and regardless we would be the next in line.

Came back at 2pm and the counter was already at 2023 but shortly after it was our turn.

She took our ID's and passport, made us sign the copies and then proceeded to retype the complete affidavit which took a good hour.

All documents were also scanned so still don't understand why she also had to type it again.

She did ask me to convert the salary mentioned on the affidavit from GBP to THB, but seems weird to do all that work for a small change, but who knows.

When we got to signing the last form she asked how we met and how long ago. Felt more like friendly chatter then interrogation. 
From beginning till end no English was spoken. She did know us by face as we came twice before for information.

We were holding our marriage certificate around 15:30.

Even though they were closing and cleaning up they were kind enough to take another half an hour for changing of my wife's name, new ID card, and updated house book.

All together 150 baht. I think only 20 for the marriage 30 for change name and 100 for new ID, but don't quote me on that as no receipts were provided.

That was it. I'm currently a happily married man. Next up, the Marriage Visa.

Quick question for the experienced, if anyone got this far.
Except for the Marriage Visa and the ring on my finger, what other nice extras and/or superpowers can I now apply for/should I not forget to get asap?

Cheers????

Congratulations to you both and hope all goes well for the birth of your baby.  Having had 4  I would suggest when the baby is born to register the birth at the Embassy and get a UK birth certificate and a passport for her or him before it is 3 months old.  Not sure now but in days gone by it was much easier getting them sooner rather than later.

17 minutes ago, stevefloyd said:

What affidavit do you need? you mean affirmation of marriage?

Yes the "affirmation of marital status". I have not been married in the past, so I only needed this and the certified copy of my passport from the embassy.

Thanks geoffbezoz (when I try tag you the comment does not post????) for your kind words and good advice regarding the early registration of his birth.

I already did some research earlier in the year and it seems like there will be many struggles ahead.  I was born in the Netherlands with a Dutch mother and British father, but I do not have a UK Birth certificate myself and this might cause issues.

I decided to stop stressing about it for now and take things one step at a time, but I will make sure it is on top of the list once he is born.

Cheers ????

Archived