TM 30 and Immigration Dept visit to residence

About 2-3 years ago in Surin/Buriram province we were all, registered, subjected to a home visit. Irrespective of what extension one had. We were also to provide two witnesses to provide proof of us living there and being of good character.

The OP isn't being picked on personally. Only fault I find in his story is that he paid the fine for the landlord not providing the TM 30. Not his problem and should have refused. Did the OP get a receipt for the fine?

if it happened to me and i lived in a condo, without knowing anyone , i would let the management office vouch for me living there, even if i hadnt communicated before, same in a moobahn, they have management too, hell security guards, just to get the visa and hell with nationalism.condo be easier, staff are more stagnate

17 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

About 2-3 years ago in Surin/Buriram province we were all, registered, subjected to a home visit. Irrespective of what extension one had. We were also to provide two witnesses to provide proof of us living there and being of good character.

The OP isn't being picked on personally. Only fault I find in his story is that he paid the fine for the landlord not providing the TM 30. Not his problem and should have refused. Did the OP get a receipt for the fine?

Thats not a typo...yes i was fined.....

This was my second day long visit to apply for a visa. After the previous visits application  not being processed. That was  due to required documentaion NOT being on the checklist ( a TM 30 and a map).

It was just easier to bite my tongue, apologize for the landlords error ,pay the fine and get on with the application there and then.

The alternative was another visa run out of Thailand and then start the process all over again

Edited by thelovedone
yes i did get a reciept for the fine, and no im not going to attempt to have it reimbursed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

All I can say is, wow. Have to have a thai person there? For retirement? 

This is not the first report of it being done when applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok. It is something needed for the approval of the application at the division level not at the immigration office where it was applied for,

Not needed to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This is not the first report of it being done when applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok. It is something needed for the approval of the application at the division level not at the immigration office where it was applied for,

Not needed to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

I believe there have been recent reports out of CW Immigration BKK of tenants being fined for failing to have TM30 receipts when going to do regular marriage or retirement extensions.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When was 'being of good character' part of the VISA extension conditions?

When immigration decided to ask I suppose? And when was an home visit part of the Retirement Extension?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe there have been recent reports out of CW Immigration BKK of tenants being fined for failing to have TM30 receipts when going to do regular marriage or retirement extensions.

My last retirement extension (post march 31) IO printed out my 'next appointment date' from online 90 day reporting and asked me to sign it and then kept it. I would guess this was in lieu of a TM28/30 - i.e. a de facto legal certification (but not actually proof) of address.

Edited by mokwit

3 hours ago, sniggie said:

So why, by all that is holy, are the authorities suddenly so bloody paranoid about where I am?   

They do under the belief we are all terrorists and the need to know our whereabouts at all time.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:59 PM, Rally123 said:

When immigration decided to ask I suppose? And when was an home visit part of the Retirement Extension?

In this case I believe the OP is not applying for a retirement extension, but converting an entry to a non-Imm-O, 90 day entry. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

In this case I believe the OP is not applying for a retirement extension, but converting an entry to a non-Imm-O, 90 day entry. 

Thats correct jacko45k.....For clarrity..........I applied for the Non Immigrant 90 day visa on a TM 87 form.  I was changing from a permitted 30 day stay (obtained at the airport on arrival/entry ) to a Non Immigrant 90 day visa.

The reason i gave on my Non Immigrant visa  application was for "retirement" purposes. So i will apply for the Retirement visa once i am issued with the 90 day Non Immigrant , at the required submission timeframe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thelovedone said:

Thats correct jacko45k.....For clarrity..........I applied for the Non Immigrant 90 day visa on a TM 87 form.  I was changing from a permitted 30 day stay (obtained at the airport on arrival/entry ) to a Non Immigrant 90 day visa.

The reason i gave on my Non Immigrant visa  application was for "retirement" purposes. So i will apply for the Retirement visa once i am issued with the 90 day Non Immigrant , at the required submission timeframe.

The 90-Day Non-IMM O is your "Retirement Visa" about 60 days into it, you should apply for an Extension to Stay which extend you permission to stay by 1 year 

Do note this is not a 1 year Visa, you must get a re-entry permit (Single 1,000, Multi 3,500) if you leave the country & want to come back during the year 

Edit to add: the 90-Day is a Single entry visa which will already have been marked as used, so again if you want to leave & re-enter Thailand before it's extended, you must get a Re-Entry permit - This will only last for the remainder of the 90 days, when you get your extension, you need another re-entry permit which will last for the lifetime of the permission to stay (Multi Re-Entry) or Single use...

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 4/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, sniggie said:

So why, by all that is holy, are the authorities suddenly so bloody paranoid about where I am?   

they are not. as long as you don't tell them you are at your other homes they will never know you left Pattaya. 

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The 90-Day Non-IMM O is your "Retirement Visa" about 60 days into it, you should apply for an Extension to Stay which extend you permission to stay by 1 year 

Do note this is not a 1 year Visa, you must get a re-entry permit (Single 1,000, Multi 3,500) if you leave the country & want to come back during the year 

Edit to add: the 90-Day is a Single entry visa which will already have been marked as used, so again if you want to leave & re-enter Thailand before it's extended, you must get a Re-Entry permit - This will only last for the remainder of the 90 days, when you get your extension, you need another re-entry permit which will last for the lifetime of the permission to stay (Multi Re-Entry) or Single use...

Yes..... thanks .....as you have described is also my understanding . 

7 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

All of these drastic and ridiculous changes with retirement extensions, elimination of the affidavits by embassies, and now this TM 30 situation make the O-A visa all the more attractive. At this stage, flying back to the USA to obtain one seems worth it.

Unless of course they decide to make changes with that visa such as required health insurance.

Sure, if you're going back anyway. To make special trips for that would be very expensive. May make more sense to go Elite.

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sure, if you're going back anyway. To make special trips for that would be very expensive. May make more sense to go Elite.

Every 2 years?  Not that expensive - would still save a bundle over the Elite.  Get the medical done in Thailand before returning (Ok for UK submissions, hopefully USA also).

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Every 2 years?  Not that expensive - would still save a bundle over the Elite.  Get the medical done in Thailand before returning (Ok for UK submissions, hopefully USA also).

I visit the UK 2-3 times a year so it wouldn't be too much of a chore as long as I could do it by post but how about getting the Police clearance? I read that I need 1 from the UK & 1 from the country I'm "Resident" in but Singapore will not issue Police Clearance docs for non citizens/PRs 

Guess I could claim I'm non-Resident in Singapore (I'm here on an Employment Pass) but will they accept that seeing as I've lived here for 10.5 years...

On 4/24/2019 at 1:12 PM, mokwit said:

My last retirement extension (post march 31) IO printed out my 'next appointment date' from online 90 day reporting and asked me to sign it and then kept it. I would guess this was in lieu of a TM28/30 - i.e. a de facto legal certification (but not actually proof) of address.

Was it also your first Extension? I ask as it is then also considered as your first 90 day report. After that the 2 are independent and the only association I have heard of was in Chiangrai, where they tried to tie 90 day reporting and showing the 800k on deposit was still there together, on Extension renewal.