No bacteria contamination found in Bangkok’s drinking water dispensers

webfact

No bacteria contamination found in Bangkok’s drinking water dispensers

By The Nation

5772949f69984936f9bd0121ec5ce59e.jpeg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has announced it found no bacteria contamination during checks on the city’s coin-operated drinking water dispensing machines. The finding comes amid public concern about the higher rate of bacteria growth during the hot season.

Chawin Sirinak, director of the BMA’s Health Department, said officials from his department coordinated with 50 Bangkok districts to check 6,114 water dispensing machines in the capital in March and none were found to have been contaminated with bacteria.

However, he said that up to 68.59 per cent of the water dispensers did not meet the proper standard of hygiene.

Of the 6,114 machines surveyed in March this year, 4,515 were approved by the BMA, Chawin said. He added that Bangkok authorities are currently considering licence applications for another 680 machines while owners of a further 451 machines are in the process of filing applications.

He said officials had ordered that 314 machines stop operating as their owners could not obtain a licence.

Chawin said BMA officials will continue to check public drinking water dispensing machines every four months.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368256

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24

2 hours ago, webfact said:

his department coordinated with 50 Bangkok districts to check 6,114 water dispensing machines in the capital in March and none were found to have been contaminated with bacteria.

I find that extremely hard to believe. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Up to 68.59 per cent of the water dispensers did not meet the proper standard of hygiene.

why was this not the headline

how about testing water quality on all Thailand beaches - couldn't trust that result either

Water quality throughout Thailand in general is extremely poor.

The only water that can be " trusted " as Bacteria free and drinkable, is bottled water from reputable companies such as Nestle.

Any other sources for water are prone to Bacterial Infections of all kinds,and we all know that these pathogens are transmitted faster and further being water born as opposed to air born.

The Thai attitude to hygiene alone should tell you to stay well clear of these Drinking Water Machines.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Water quality throughout Thailand in general is extremely poor.

The only water that can be " trusted " as Bacteria free and drinkable, is bottled water from reputable companies such as Nestle.

Any other sources for water are prone to Bacterial Infections of all kinds,and we all know that these pathogens are transmitted faster and further being water born as opposed to air born.

The Thai attitude to hygiene alone should tell you to stay well clear of these Drinking Water Machines.

I drink the water from my Bangkok tap and have done so for nearly ten years. I find Thais very hygienic. I think given their economic situation street food vendors should be lauded for their hygiene. People eat in the street because they trust the food. I do, I'm never ill

I will grant you these machines are potential issues.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

check 6,114 water dispensing machines in the capital in March and none were found to have been contaminated with bacteria.

However, he said that up to 68.59 per cent of the water dispensers did not meet the proper standard of hygiene.

I have no idea what the above sentences mean. How did the failed machines "not meet the proper standard of hygiene"? It would have been helpful if The Nation had actually explained what that meant.

In the past, in these kinds of checks by the Ministry of Public Health, large portions of these kinds of dispensing machines were dirty, had filters that were never changed or long overdue for changing, not serviced as required, etc etc.

One thing I know, however -- I'd never buy drinking water from any of those kinds of dispensers in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I hope you can choose a little bit more human company as well.
Nestle is one of the most hated companies in the world.

- Aggressively pushed their baby formula in less economically developed countries.
- Nestle drains the aquifers it controls as much as possible, without any regards to sustainable usage or environmental concerns.
- Nestle was fully aware of where their cocoa was coming from and under what conditions, but did little to improve conditions. Child slavery and abuse?
- Usage of glyphosate products...

...and so on. Maybe we can find a better company we can trust.

6 hours ago, smedly said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

Up to 68.59 per cent of the water dispensers did not meet the proper standard of hygiene.

Because, for connoisseurs of prime Thainess, the grand claim that "no bacteria" were found on these dispensers is far funnier.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, smedly said:

how about testing water quality on all Thailand beaches - couldn't trust that result either

Why?  Because the point of the enquiry was  public concern about hot weather bacteria contamination.  The hygiene issue was a secondary conclusion to the enquiry. 

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why?  Because the point of the enquiry was  public concern about hot weather bacteria contamination.  The hygiene issue was a secondary conclusion to the enquiry. 

The fact that something like two-thirds of the tested drinking water vendors were found to be non-hygienic SHOULD have been the headline and news of the article.

But this being Thailand, it instead was the claim that they found no bacteria contamination (which, considering the number of sources they claim to have sampled, I'd consider more than a bit dubious to have found NONE).

I'd think the general public concern ought to be, and most likely is, whether the water they buy from these sources is clean and suitable for drinking, which the authorities found it often was not.

The reality here is, the real news often isn't what's in the headline or the main claim of articles, but more in the details buried far below or even the things that are missing from the reports.

17 hours ago, donnacha said:

Because, for connoisseurs of prime Thainess, the grand claim that "no bacteria" were found on these dispensers is far funnier.

Because, for connoisseurs of prime ThaiVisa-ness, the grand claim that "no bacteria" were found on these dispensers is far funnier, regardless of the facts.

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:
On 4/24/2019 at 3:21 PM, donnacha said:

Because, for connoisseurs of prime ThaiVisa-ness, the grand claim that "no bacteria" were found on these dispensers is far funnier, regardless of the facts.

I find your logic quite odd.

Are you suggesting that these drinking fountains, which the BMA’s Health Department found to be unhygienic, also harbor no bacteria?

And that anyone who questions this scientifically implausible claim is gripped by a delusion somehow connected to their participation in this forum?

16 hours ago, donnacha said:

I find your logic quite odd.

Are you suggesting that these drinking fountains, which the BMA’s Health Department found to be unhygienic, also harbor no bacteria?

And that anyone who questions this scientifically implausible claim is gripped by a delusion somehow connected to their participation in this forum?

I was suggesting that a survey was done looking for bacteria in the dispenser and the survey gave them the all clear.  If you doubt the results of that investigation take it up with those that did it, not me.  I'm going on what was reported officially re the object of the tests.

"Are you suggesting...that anyone who questions this scientifically implausible claim is gripped by a delusion somehow connected to their participation in this forum?"

Yes, unfortunately.  The circumstances that you describe are frequently evident on this forum by virtue of the usual, predominantly Thai-bashing, members.

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, unfortunately.  The circumstances that you describe are frequently evident on this forum by virtue of the usual, predominantly Thai-bashing, members.

I appreciate that a dramatic accusation of "Thai-bashing" is an effective distraction, but you still haven't explained how drinking fountains, in a tropical country, during the hottest time of the year, can be simultaneously unhygienic AND free from bacteria.

The sheer chutzpah of the Thai authorities is a cause for joy and celebration, not a cue for incoherent white-knighting on your part.

Archived