BANGKOK 20 May 2019 16:29
Big Paul

Water pump problems, can anyone help?

Hi, I have just completed new build house in Phanom Phrai district, the local builders installed a water tank and pump but the water surges and pump makes loud thumping noise when water is opened, they say this is just the way it is and are not doing anything further.

can anyone help with possible solution as I am sure it is not correct.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

I have included pictures of pump cover and tank. 

59EF2E34-1B4D-4A74-BA16-F54F5D846597.jpeg

5ADD3C74-9A9C-428C-86A4-A23908DE119D.jpeg

6AF6B241-CF6B-49F7-8849-C9BA682D6DB7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Big Paul said:

can anyone help with possible solution as I am sure it is not correct.

Yeah your right with-hold some payment if possible.

Where do the water pipes run is it them that make the noise. ?

Have you run the water fully from all parts of the house the noise could be trapped air. ?

Maybe the pump is giving too much pressure can it be adjusted. ?

I have opened both of the showers and taps etc...  but same issue, I cannot find a manual for pump anywhere so far. But I will look again at pump.

the pipe comes from tank to pump then house, it is a short distance to all taps the kitchen being furthest about 15 feet or so. 

5 minutes ago, metisdead said:

Moving to the DIY forum. 

Apologies I didn’t see DIY forum listed. 😊

Just now, Big Paul said:

Apologies I didn’t see DIY forum listed. 😊

No worries, there should be some helpful advice offered here. 

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah your right with-hold some payment if possible.

Where do the water pipes run is it them that make the noise. ?

Have you run the water fully from all parts of the house the noise could be trapped air. ?

Maybe the pump is giving too much pressure can it be adjusted. ?

It is actual pump making noise, the flexible pipes next to toilet and shower shake when any outlet is opened. 

What's the on-off cycle time of the pump? Does it stay on if you open all the taps?

Try unscrewing the pressure tank (power off and open a tap) and shake out any water that's inside. Does the tank have a tyre-type valve on the end (do NOT remove any plastic plugs)?

It's a new build so the pressure tank shouldn't be water-logged but one never knows.

There was a similar question asked a few weeks ago.  I, and many others replied, and they are mostly probably relevant here.

I'm sorry, but I can't get anywhere with TV's search facility, but I'm sure someone should be able to find the relevant topic and provide a link.

Are all the valves for input and output for the pump full open?

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

What's the on-off cycle time of the pump? Does it stay on if you open all the taps?

Try unscrewing the pressure tank (power off and open a tap) and shake out any water that's inside. Does the tank have a tyre-type valve on the end (do NOT remove any plastic plugs)?

It's a new build so the pressure tank shouldn't be water-logged but one never knows.

Hi Crossy, I have tried opening all taps at same time, it seems to run constantly but if I shut one off then it starts surging again. The lid of the main water tank is loose I am not sure if it should be tightened all the way or not. I am not sure what part I should unscrew to shake water out.

i have uploaded a couple more pictures.

thanks for advice. 

35678507-24C9-4DE8-92F0-BF1D8F1C7D79.jpeg

7BE3CBE8-2514-4845-805C-CFAC5BB6CE7E.jpeg

C22E059F-254F-4030-BB58-58358E9D56F5.jpeg

Can you find a manual for the pump online? Most appliances have a trouble-shooting guide in their manuals, you may get lucky.

The pressure tank is the grey cylinder on top of the pump. Is the brass bit on top a tyre type valve? Does the pressure tank have a label with a working pressure?

But your problem may be the outlet flow being restricted by that run of 1/2" pipe. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Big Paul said:

It is actual pump making noise, the flexible pipes next to toilet and shower shake when any outlet is opened. 

Whats happens if you turn off the outlet, turn off the pump, then open the outlet? Does it "surge" until the pressure drops?

These pumps  have a  valve that introduces  air to add to the little pressure tank to keep  pressure on the  automatic switch. It may be  faulty and there is  too much air in the tank.

The pump is the LuckyPro style most likely from same widely branded Chinese stable. These pumps are hit and miss in the quality dept so it could be faulty pressure switch or bladder causing it to throw a fit. Call back the installer.