US tourist arrested over theft, damage to speedboat in Krabi

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG. Look at the state of it. Now if I was the police detective. 

1: what damage was done, the boat is a complete mess. Wow, could be an easy scam here to get it painted and fixed. 

2: I wonder who the owner is. Is it a Police highish officer or does the owner know someone.

3: it did not say so but the boat is in a possition toad up on the beach sand with the engine tilted up the way it should be. Did the owner take,it back to his berth before it was so called inspected by the police at the scene.

come on guys, get your no gins going, we all know what can be done. 

Looks like a repair been done on the top part of the bow. 

Nice B/S amount of damage done. 

Why was there no comments shown by the accused young guy.

we all know the wink wink possibilities that seem to be quite common down that part of Thailand. I bet Big Joke would have seen right through this. Surprised at some of you guys condemning the US guy. Am not saying he is not responsible or is responsible just that it needs some top Experienced cop from Bangkok to investigate,it, not the locals.

CCTV videos are not being shown. 

My oppinion, a setup. 100%

3 minutes ago, shaurene said:

OMG. Look at the state of it. Now if I was the police detective. 

1: what damage was done, the boat is a complete mess. Wow, could be an easy scam here to get it painted and fixed. 

2: I wonder who the owner is. Is it a Police highish officer or does the owner know someone.

3: it did not say so but the boat is in a possition toad up on the beach sand with the engine tilted up the way it should be. Did the owner take,it back to his berth before it was so called inspected by the police at the scene.

come on guys, get your no gins going, we all know what can be done. 

Looks like a repair been done on the top part of the bow. 

Nice B/S amount of damage done. 

Why was there no comments shown by the accused young guy.

we all know the wink wink possibilities that seem to be quite common down that part of Thailand. I bet Big Joke would have seen right through this. Surprised at some of you guys condemning the US guy. Am not saying he is not responsible or is responsible just that it needs some top Experienced cop from Bangkok to investigate,it, not the locals.

CCTV videos are not being shown. 

My oppinion, a setup. 100%

Well, it says he was caught on CCTV steeling the boat...  There has been no CCTV footage as yet (published by the media etc), but its fairly clear there is some and that it's damning.

On the face of it, it would appear that this guy has pretty much been caught red-handed. 

IF the CCTV footage does show him steeling the boat - unless the CCTV also shows pre-exisiting damage it doesn't matter what damage there was before hand, the US thief is going to get stung - perhaps rightly so. 

10 hours ago, Hockeybik said:

More like a clear moron case.

Whoooooweeee no chit, where did this entitled little twerp come from in the US?

This one gonna cost mommy and daddy

1 hour ago, Andre Leonard said:

95% of these morons come for sex.

I was one of the other 5-percenters. I didn't come over for sex as a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in 1977.  But with the help of excellent Thai teachers and experienced volunteers, I got better.  Learned to lay low and bargain hard.  Worked for me until I married a Thai.  555.

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Definitely an idiot. Nicking a boat is pretty stupid for starters, but then obviously realising he was in trouble, left the island on Saturday, was in Bangkok Sunday and didn't think that it might be advisable if he really wanted to run away, to get out of the country immediately. Arrest warrant made five days after he nicked it, but he was still here. Not much sympathy for him from me, or from many other posters I suspect. As has been said before, You can't fix stupid.

Possibly alcohol induced stupidity, then thinking he was off the island that he'd got far enough away !

Bet he was shocked when he got pulled at the airport thinking he was a couple of hours away from a clean get-away... gonna cost him one way or another !

If you're gonna do a runner, then do it; don't muck about spending one last night in Bangkok. As a thought experiment I often wonder what I'd do if I got in deep sh#t. I think it'd be a race to the airport. One argument for carrying your passport and a credit card at all times, against the perceived wisdom. Swings and roundabouts really, you risk losing them cos you're taking precautions v. a very unlikely event; on the other hand, it happens.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:48 PM, berybert said:

So he stole a boat (against the law) costing the operator his living for a while. And you are only concerned with him being scammed out of a few baht.  

I would be concerned about the scamming, but the stupid act of stealing the boat if he did is another thing.

I had an accident last year after my foot slipped while backing out of my house causing damage to the neighbours parked car, which was new.

Just a dent in the rear quarter.

I ended up paying her, alongside the insurance rep 100,000 Thai baht.

I had witnesses and she signed a receipt for full payment of damages written in Thai and English.

Now one year later the insurance rep rang my Thai wife and threatened her with court action if we did not pay him 70,000 Bht more, He claimed we did not pay the 100,000 to the owner of the vehicle.

We  sent him the bank records and told him to talk to our witness who is like the village headman.

Never heard from him again.

I suspect the insurance mans company repaired the vehicle and the assessor said it was a hit and run, then they pocketed the 100k or the owner of the vehicle pocketed the 100k and claimed we never paid her.

Lucky we kept records or might have been more trouble.

So the boat guy was stupid, and has left himself wide open to extortion.

Archived