Relocating to Vietnam ?

Anyone on here who is knowledgable on Duty and Tax I am likely to face flying into Vietnam with accompanied personal belongings?  I've been googling and all I find is description below which sounds more like standard business importing rates, not applicable to a tourist coming in for a one year stay.

Most of what I am bringing is obviously for personal use like clothing, laptop computer, 32 inch computer monitor, mobile devices, small household items, office desk drawer items like electronic accessories for phone, computer, sports accessories, and a bicycle, all in used condition.  

Again, I am coming in as a tourist for a one-year stay.

I need to figure this out in advance obviously since I don;t want to find out upon arrival that I'm going to get hit with VAT and up to 150% tax on CIF...yikes!!! 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

DUTY AND TAX RATE PERCENTAGE
In Vietnam, value-added taxes (VATs) range from zero percent to 20 percent depending on the type of item. For example, the average rate for most goods is around 10 percent VAT. As for import duties, the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) price of imported goods has a duty of anywhere between zero percent and 150 percent levied on it. Vietnam uses special rates for most-favored nations (MFN) and ASEAN member nations, as well as Japan, China, Australia and New Zealand. All other countries are subject to the standard rates.

Question #2:  What if I ship some items rather than carrying them on flight?  I have more weight than airline will allow.  I am thinking that the Thai Post Office would be a good way to ship my personal belongings but I am getting the impression there is a BIG difference in whether or not I will be charged duty & tax on personal belongings arriving as "accompanied" belongings vs personal belongings that I ship via post office.  

Edited by WaveHunter

On 4/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, BritManToo said:

Agreed, the 'love Thailand or you're worthless' nutjobs are getting pretty desperate when claiming 7-11 is a good reason to live in Thailand, or the VISA extension process in Thailand is entirely reasonable. My last purchases in Vietnam earlier this month were in Co-Op Mart, hadn't noticed them before but they were very reasonable prices.

I don't have any complaints about cost of living in Thailand. 

I'm happy with what I have.

Its hardly a "nutjob" stating that 24 hour convenience store are convenient , and its rather convenient having 7/11's open 24 hours with everything priced and chilled drinks , rather than traipsing around badly stocked mum & pop shops that close a 8 PM and risk getting over charged .

On 4/25/2019 at 11:22 AM, AAArdvark said:

And how is this different from Thailand?

Although Thailand does have restaurants with pre cooked food on display , they are in the minority and you can always find restaurants where they cook food to order , there were many pre cooked food restaurants in Danang and not many restaurants that have food cooked when ordered .

Some streets in Thailand are cluttered , but not to the same extent as cluttered streets in Danang 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:25 AM, Darkside Gray said:

So after a visit to Da nang and 10 days in Vietnam you are an expert on the country???

Have I made the suggestion that I am an expert on Vietnam ?

No , I havent made that suggestion

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:51 AM, Cadbury said:

She is about as Vietnamese as I am. Illegal Cambodian hooker jumped the border more like it.

Here are two photos of a Vietnamese woman to help you recognise one when you see one. 

x.JPG

y (2).jpg

I would appreciate it if you wouldnt  suggest that my acquaintances are "hookers" , thats quite rude of you and please dont do it again .

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't know, I don't go to shopping malls.

Not as developed in Vietnam as Thailand. One of the nice features of spending time in Thailand was the food court(s) in malls. Some very good food (and variety for a very reasonable price. You can even find chains or stores that are using chain signs with really mediocre food/beverages. In District 7 there are a couple of large malls but neither of them has what you'd call a food court like in Thai malls.

4 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Keep in mind Vietnam is a communist country. Rule can change overnight.

Communism is a political and economic system in which the major productive resources in a society—such as mines, factories, and farms—are owned by the public or the state, and wealth is divided among citizens equally or according to individual need.

43 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Anyone on here who is knowledgable on Duty and Tax I am likely to face flying into Vietnam with accompanied personal belongings?  I've been googling and all I find is description below which sounds more like standard business importing rates, not applicable to a tourist coming in for a one year stay.

https://movetovietnam.com/

On 4/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, natway09 said:

Yes, there are millions of motorbikes but If you walk briskly across the road, do not hesitate once started they are used to it & you will be fine.

Locals dont often seem to walk across roads though , they tend to go everywhere by bike and thus dont walk across roads so bike riders are not expecting to see pedestrians crossing the road

21 hours ago, Beggar said:

Cha Am is a very nice place with an endless beach. But I need a good shopping infrastructure. I have been living in Asia for about 30 years now and I traveled a lot. I stayed on Patong Beach more than a year, on Koh Samui about one year, in Bangkok very long, Hua Hin, etc. In the end you almost everywhere where you have tourists you meet the Hello Sexy Man business. I can't stand it anymore ????

Don't understand your post, Hua Hin has a shopping mall Cha Am is only 30 mins away.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Nice general guide to Moving to Vietnam but nothing I see on the topic of my post.  Am I missing something?

Don't know just trying to help,  maybe go to a Vietnam Embassy in your country and ask or try by email.

Goodluck.

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

How about foodcourts concept in shopping Malls does that exist in Vietnam?

food courts in malls in Thailand are simply a collection of food stalls sorta like you useta find in the street and in traditional markets, etc...in my experience in VN there aren't many street food stalls and most prepared food outlets have a basic sit down premises, at the markets you may find a place where you can sit and get a bowl of noodles but that's about it...

hence no food courts in VN shopping malls, plenty of restaurants however...a few weeks ago down in Ha Tinh city at the new Vincom mall got a fantastic korean BBQ lunch (pork and seafood) for about $10 per head incl self serve salads and sushi, cheap VN beer and soft drinks extra ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mahseer said:

For those with an eye on Nha Trang and fancy some seafood stay away from the places on the beach amongst the hotels and head north and over the bridge. First soi on your left is Thap Ba where you'll get far better value and you can get your selection priced straight out of the tanks. There are several restaurants there so take your pick and if you are happy with prices take a seat. Don't recommend the mantis shrimp which are a pain to open (even with scissors) and flesh isn't the greatest anyway but each to their own.

If by chance you find yourself in Quy Nhon head 12kms north to Bai Xep where you can get decent sized live lobster for around 1,000baht. Wife devoured the lot and I got a sniff of the shell. Nice. Note Nha Trang has massive farmed lobster operations but we didn't try there so can't compare.

up in Ha Tinh we went for lunch at a new resort just north of Ky Anh town and got lobster, shrimp and the nicest squid I'd ever had...didn't cost much as the whole meal for 6 adults was about $15 per head...talked to the chef (via my local pal) and asked where he got his fish and he said the boats come up to the beach early am outside as they head in to port and he gets first pick of the catch then they carry on to the market dock where they sell the rest...he's the biggest purchaser so he gets the cream...a memorable meal except they didn't have any bier Ha Noi which is my fave...that watery Saigon Beer seems to have captured the market these days...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

up in Ha Tinh we went for lunch at a new resort just north of Ky Anh town and got lobster, shrimp and the nicest squid I'd ever had...didn't cost much as the whole meal for 6 adults was about $15 per head...talked to the chef (via my local pal) and asked where he got his fish and he said the boats come up to the beach early am outside as they head in to port and he gets first pick of the catch then they carry on to the market dock where they sell the rest...he's the biggest purchaser so he gets the cream...a memorable meal except they didn't have any bier Ha Noi which is my fave...that watery Saigon Beer seems to have captured the market these days...

Any other attractions in Ha Tinh aside from that fabulous sounding feast?

1 minute ago, Mahseer said:

Nope just a bloke keen to explore Vietnam.

Although my prime interest is in the mountain areas of the north west  I do occasionally have to cater to the other half which entails a few days at the beach coupled with some decent seafood something we are starved of in Chiang Mai.

It's that simple.

Ohh excuse me I thought u was trying to be sarcastic and was negative about any location outside Pattaya.

i getting interesting with Vietnam too now i getting info about DaNang..

will send the link of that thread.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:55 PM, sanemax said:

Not possible to make eye contact with 50 different motorcycle drivers , when they are coming from six different direction at speed and driving on the wrong side of the road .

You are putting yourself at risk everytime you cross the road

And yet the roadway death rate is a fraction of what it is in Thailand 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:44 PM, sanemax said:

I did visit there , the place has a Koh San Road/ Pai feel about the place , Westerners far out number the locals . Many backpackers and tourists and the whole new town is geared up to accommodate them .

But that may not be such a bad thing and its only 30 minutes from Danang   

Seems like you were looking for reasons not to make the move and as in any country if that is what you were looking for you will find it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Seems like you were looking for reasons not to make the move and as in any country if that is what you were looking for you will find it.

He is giving a honest report and exactly the way I saw Vietnam as well. There is no reason to go unless your desperate and cant meet cash requirements for the 65k/month. In that case taking a big step down in location with a forced exit is justifiable but very unfortunate

• Like 2

After having visited a dozen times, I've now moved to a larger city in Central Vietnam. 

* Forget consideration for others. Through open doors at high rise condos, music gets BLASTED. OR kids playing football by the elevators after 9 pm. Or someone decides to burn organic waste next to a primary school. (Fumigating the school, I would expect to get fined a year'S salary AND do time for such conduct back home.

* The level of dishonesty is staggering. Rarely will people keep their word. I've met teachers who have been royally effed over by "centers" in polymorph ways. 

* Soft skills? Forget it! 

* Bring sauces and be very careful whom to give your dry cleaning. Had delicate suits ruined by greedy bastards doing MACHINE WASHING.

* There is an energy, a quest for life. And in business, they are hard and tough like ingrown toenails. 

Last weekend, I stayed at a aub $ 50 apartment with a kitchenette in a small town named HA TRUNG. The building looked ramshackle but was perfectly okay, if you like to be behind bars. 

Closing, you can get delicatessen delivered and buy a long-term VISA, if needed. (Hello Thailand, wake up)!

• Thanks 2