Relocating to Vietnam ?

5 minutes ago, WonnabeBiker said:

After having visited a dozen times, I've now moved to a larger city in Central Vietnam. 

* Forget consideration for others. Through open doors at high rise condos, music gets BLASTED. OR kids playing football by the elevators after 9 pm. Or someone decides to burn organic waste next to a primary school. (Fumigating the school, I would expect to get fined a year'S salary AND do time for such conduct back home.

* The level of dishonesty is staggering. Rarely will people keep their word. I've met teachers who have been royally effed over by "centers" in polymorph ways. 

* Soft skills? Forget it! 

* Bring sauces and be very careful whom to give your dry cleaning. Had delicate suits ruined by greedy bastards doing MACHINE WASHING.

* There is an energy, a quest for life. And in business, they are hard and tough like ingrown toenails. 

Last weekend, I stayed at a aub $ 50 apartment with a kitchenette in a small town named HA TRUNG. The building looked ramshackle but was perfectly okay, if you like to be behind bars. 

Closing, you can get delicatessen delivered and buy a long-term VISA, if needed. (Hello Thailand, wake up)!

Please explain!

• Like 1

tutsiwarrior, I appreciate the reply and will put it on me list for next time, thanks. I enjoy trains here so looks straight forward getting there.

I'm in country now and just got into the mountain village of Sin Ho which is well worth a look if any interest in the ethnic folk that reside and just need to vacate before the Sapa folks get here for tomorrow's market. Pretty much got the town to myself today so happy days.

Enjoy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Seems like you were looking for reasons not to make the move and as in any country if that is what you were looking for you will find it.

I did state that it "wasnt such a bad thing" , that the town is geared up to accommodate back-packers and tourists , which is saying that that may be a good reason to move there

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

2 weeks back I was in a $10/night 4th floor room overlooking Highland coffee/September Park Saigon.

I had 4 large windows looking out over the busy road and a nightclub in the park opposite going until 3am.

Aircon worked perfectly once I rinsed the air filters covered 1/2 deep with dust in the shower.

And one night they evicted my Viet next room neighbour at 4am by throwing her stuff out the windows while her child screamed for an hour.

But it was never dull!

HCMC.jpg

Hi

That makes you a District 1 fan, thought you would be.

I stayed very near you in the Liberty 3 Greenview, paid more than you you but totally satisfied with the facilities and location.

So many bars restaurants with a short stroll. Lively and fun.

Also used to stroll around September Park every day. Nice park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 3:07 PM, Kwasaki said:

Communism is a political and economic system in which the major productive resources in a society—such as mines, factories, and farms—are owned by the public or the state, and wealth is divided among citizens equally or according to individual need.

You are of course joking?

33 minutes ago, toolpush said:

You are of course joking?

Not at all just one of the meanings of Communism another is a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.  

A bit like StarTrek. ????

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not at all just one of the meanings of Communism another is a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.  

Emphasis on theory.

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, Mahseer said:

tutsiwarrior, I appreciate the reply and will put it on me list for next time, thanks. I enjoy trains here so looks straight forward getting there.

I'm in country now and just got into the mountain village of Sin Ho which is well worth a look if any interest in the ethnic folk that reside and just need to vacate before the Sapa folks get here for tomorrow's market. Pretty much got the town to myself today so happy days.

Enjoy

Wonderful area, i have ridden up from Saigon two times to explore the mountains there.

4 hours ago, chrissables said:

Wonderful area, i have ridden up from Saigon two times to explore the mountains there.

Have you taken the road from Sin Ho to Tuan Giao? It's 150kms of curves with a tiny straight bit when you cross the river. Came that way yesterday in a pick up but far better suited to a bike. Amazing often single track road up and down mountain sides with great scenery thrown in.

Oh to be young again!

On 4/26/2019 at 1:56 PM, tideout said:

Not as developed in Vietnam as Thailand. One of the nice features of spending time in Thailand was the food court(s) in malls. Some very good food (and variety for a very reasonable price. You can even find chains or stores that are using chain signs with really mediocre food/beverages. In District 7 there are a couple of large malls but neither of them has what you'd call a food court like in Thai malls.

That did have a huge modern mall way down near the 5 th bridge crossing the river .

A huge supermarket where you could get food freshly made off the shelves and take it to an adjacent seating area and they had tills on the entrance , had some nice pizza and spaghetti 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Not like Thailand then? politically stable ????

In todays time politics can change fast everywhere.... Why should they change in Vietnam? Do you belief that Vietnam will follow China?  

On 4/27/2019 at 8:32 AM, WonnabeBiker said:

After having visited a dozen times, I've now moved to a larger city in Central Vietnam. 

* Forget consideration for others. Through open doors at high rise condos, music gets BLASTED. OR kids playing football by the elevators after 9 pm. Or someone decides to burn organic waste next to a primary school. (Fumigating the school, I would expect to get fined a year'S salary AND do time for such conduct back home.

* The level of dishonesty is staggering. Rarely will people keep their word. I've met teachers who have been royally effed over by "centers" in polymorph ways. 

* Soft skills? Forget it! 

* Bring sauces and be very careful whom to give your dry cleaning. Had delicate suits ruined by greedy bastards doing MACHINE WASHING.

* There is an energy, a quest for life. And in business, they are hard and tough like ingrown toenails. 

Last weekend, I stayed at a aub $ 50 apartment with a kitchenette in a small town named HA TRUNG. The building looked ramshackle but was perfectly okay, if you like to be behind bars. 

Closing, you can get delicatessen delivered and buy a long-term VISA, if needed. (Hello Thailand, wake up)!

Explain long term Visa....

Still hoping some knowledgable person can give me some idea of what to expect arriving and going through customs with personal belongings (all used and obviously only for personal use) like 32 inch computer monitor, bicycle ($3,000 racing bike), laptop, etc.

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Still hoping some knowledgable person can give me some idea of what to expect arriving and going through customs with personal belongings (all used and obviously only for personal use) like 32 inch computer monitor, bicycle ($3,000 racing bike), laptop, etc.

from my understanding a few years ago all shipped personal belongings are taxed by customs 100% as if they were new and unused...most of the stuff that you bring in yer luggage should be OK...but as things continually change the 100% tax may not exist any longer...an associate wanted to ship a luxury motorbike (a big motoguzzi) from Malaysia in 2010 and was told that he'd havta pay the 100% tax...

they got shipping agents in VN like everywhere else, best to see what they say...

On 4/24/2019 at 10:59 PM, Mahseer said:

Hoi An is certainly a major tourist attraction but for me would be a decent place to start if considering moving to Vietnam. Somewhere comfortable to give you time to find your feet before moving on to somewhere away from the tourist path if that's what you are looking for.

Agree. Pretty town (not flattened by US bombing) Great beaches, good people. nice restaurants and only a short way to Danang for air / train travel

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 12:42 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yep, like lots of political systems it sounds great on paper. The reality is often quite different.

Beyond that, political systems change with time, like all organisms hell-bent on maintaining themselves at the cost of those around them. 

They can morph into ghastly things totally unrecognizable from their highschool yearbook photos. Kinda like me.

I know of what I speak as I am American. Nuff said.

• Like 2