Relocating to Vietnam ?

On 4/24/2019 at 2:44 PM, sanemax said:

The food is a bit cheaper than in Thailand , by about 20 % less , but there just not the availability and abundance that you get in Thailand .

On the contrary, I find the availablility and abundance of Vietnamese food to be much, much better than you can get in Thailand and it's much, much better Vietnamese food too! And much, much cheaper than Vietnamese food in Thailand

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, sanemax said:

I was talking solely about Danang , There were just a handful of 7/11 Style convince stores , if you stayed by the beach , you may not have seen any grotty restaurants , because everything is new in that area , but there were many grotty restaurants in the city .

I did see numerous motorbikes speeding going on the wrong side of the road , dont know how you couldnt have seen any .

Although Thais do indeed park they bikes on the streets , it happens to a greater extent in Vietnam , some streets are like car parks and there is also many other things cluttering up the streets , meaning that you cannot walk along the streets .

There were some big wide roads , I didnt say that there wasnt , but these roads were even more difficult to cross , due to bikes speeding , going the wrong way and not always stopping at red lights .

A photo taken last week in Hoi An

Viet Nam has a lot of mom & pop stores, same as Thailand used to have before 7-11 and Family Mart put them out of business, don't understand why shopping in 7-11 is so important to you though?

And as for grotty restaurants? Are you really cut out for a life in Asia? Some of the best restaurants are "grotty", it's the quality of the food that matters, not the decor.

I do agree with you regarding the motocy parking though. My biggest bugbear!!! You can't walk down a pavement 'cos all the motocy are parked on it, making you walk in the road with the moving motocy. And when it rains it's worse, they park the motocy in the shops so you can't get in to buy anything!!!

Edit: Hoi An was not very interesting for me, saw it all in one morning, spent the afternoon in the swimming pool and moved on. My VN rellies have older and nicer houses.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 4/25/2019 at 4:35 PM, Beggar said:

Cha Am is a very nice place with an endless beach. But I need a good shopping intrastructure. I have been living in Asia for about 30 years now and I traveled a lot. I stayed on Patong Beach more than a year, on Koh Samui about one year, in Bangkok very long, Hua Hin, etc. In the end you almost everywhere where you have tourists you meet the Hello Sexy Man business. I can't stand it anymore ????

Have you considered putting on weight and smashing your face against a brick wall to avoid the Hello Sexy Man business??????

On 10/23/2019 at 8:51 PM, landofcloud said:

Wife is very warm, sweet, caring, family orientated and honest.  

Never get hassled about drinking or smoking. In fact, very easygoing. Sometimes too much so. 

Very eager to please and very good in the bedroom. 

Mine must be broken then.

Can you tell me where I can get a replacement?

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2019 at 11:42 PM, Inn Between said:

Would I be correct in assuming that bum guns are just as popular in Vietnam as they are in Thailand? I'd be very disappointed to hear otherwise. That could be the deciding factor whether or not to relocated there. ???? 

Just as ubiquitous.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, sanemax said:

Just a few photos .

First one that was 10 000 Dong per portion , 2 ND 15 K per baguette , local beer 15 K per can (nice beer) , food in a better restaurant 100 000 K , forgot how much the other photos costed

DSCF3731.JPG

DSCF3706.JPG

DSCF3719.JPG

DSCF3722.JPG

DSCF3662.JPG

DSCF3733.JPG

DSCF3634.JPG

would be interested to know what the last item on the menu cost. 

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 2:18 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Viet Nam has a lot of mom & pop stores, same as Thailand used to have before 7-11 and Family Mart put them out of business, don't understand why shopping in 7-11 is so important to you though?

Mom &Pop shops are not always fully stocked , sometimes that have what you want , sometimes they dont .

Sometimes they are open sometimes they are closed .

Sometimes the drinks are cold , sometimes they are not .

Although there are an abundance of Mom & Pop shops in Vietnam , thy all seem to sell the same limited items 

Items have no price on them , so you may get overcharged , especially when youve just arrived and you dont know the price of things 

Its a complete opposite in 7/11's 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 2:18 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

And as for grotty restaurants? Are you really cut out for a life in Asia? Some of the best restaurants are "grotty", it's the quality of the food that matters, not the decor.

I disagree , what I have found is that the decor matches the food quality .

If its a filthy restaurant , where the walls at the top are white and brown at the bottom,  you can be sure that the kitches are the same , dirty , and the food matches that .

I dont like to share my meals with cockroaches

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 11:51 AM, sanemax said:

Mom &Pop shops are not always fully stocked , sometimes that have what you want , sometimes they dont .

Sometimes they are open sometimes they are closed .

Sometimes the drinks are cold , sometimes they are not .

Although there are an abundance of Mom & Pop shops in Vietnam , thy all seem to sell the same limited items 

Items have no price on them , so you may get overcharged , especially when youve just arrived and you dont know the price of things 

Its a complete opposite in 7/11's 

And like in Thailand, these mom and pop stores will eventually be driven out of business by the equivalent of 7-11 in Vietnam. Speaking of 7-11, I understand CP Thailand is interested in expanding into Vietnam. If they're successful it will be game over for many of the mom and pop shops over there.

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

And like in Thailand, these mom and pop stores will eventually be driven out of business by the equivalent of 7-11 in Vietnam. Speaking of 7-11, I understand CP Thailand is interested in expanding into Vietnam. If they're successful it will be game over for many of the mom and pop shops over there.

The closest equivalent of 7-11 is VinMart, although they all close before midnight (as far as I know at least).

All prices clearly marked.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:52 AM, Wake Up said:

Never paid a single bribe to immigration and always do my extension of stay myself and mail my 90 day forms. No problem at all. Not rocket science and not a big deal. If you are leaving Thailand because of immigration “problems” something is wrong with you or you are broke. 

lucky you, but that is not the norm

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 10:02 PM, JimmyJ said:

The closest equivalent of 7-11 is VinMart, although they all close before midnight (as far as I know at least).

All prices clearly marked.

There is also Family Mart in Vietnam. As I said, CP's 7-11 is likely to enter Vietnam soon. They've already entered Myanmar and Laos is on the agenda too.

I wish I had the luxury to think about relocating to Vietnam, Thailand or elsewhere.

I can only hope that Bali does open Sep 11th as they say, so I can finally go somewhere. I have already accepted that Thailand will be closed for me until there is a vaccine. If not, maybe closed for years. Vietnam talked about eVisas for July, seems that did not happen. Would not except them to open at all, same as Thailand.

• 7 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 9:58 AM, BritManToo said:

In Saigon earlier this month I had nice Indian curries almost every night for around 100,000VND (150bht)

Plenty of Indian restaurants to choose from. Western food available everywhere.

I was right in the centre of town so it was very busy and noisy, but no worse than the middle of Bangkok.

Massage girls appeared more numerous than bar girls, and there were plenty of women looking for LTRs with foreigners, probably more than in Thailand.

that with the LTR  with foreigners is something new as I was there 8 year ago and the women there seemed not interested in westerns at all. .  not on streets and not in restaurants or shops malls etc.    so where do you find / see them ?  viet girls are nice shapely - Ao dai ,  slim ,  stunning  

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 3:00 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

And Thailand ISN'T a Communist country but rules DO change overnight!

And they don't most places?  Seems like last January a huge number of rules changed in the USA.  

7 hours ago, nausea said:

Bad news out of Vietnam

Yet more from YouTube sorta confirming what the first guy said - "Vietnam is Kicking Foreigners Out":

Kinda makes this thread pretty much redundant.

My understanding is that Vietnam has done their communist thing and shut everything down permanently. 

Is that the case? What about expats trapped outside can they not return back to their families and homes? 

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2021 at 6:13 PM, nausea said:

Bad news out of Vietnam:

This guy is just rambling.

He hasn't quoted any laws or regulations being introduced or given any examples or news articles.

His only example was of an Isaan girl being 'excommunicated' from her village 'cos she married a foreigner!

• Thanks 1