Going under 400,000

33 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

You may be detained at your next 90 day report and have your visa revoked. 

I believe Jomtien Immigration are asking to see your bank book with bank balance when reporting.  

More even you could be from the date under the limit , considered technically on overstay as you'r extension is void from that moment date , nothing clear about eventual consequences how the I.O.'s go handle it ….. fining (brxxe ..) money possibility's in overflow for them...

Edited by david555

39 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I believe Jomtien Immigration are asking to see your bank book with bank balance when reporting.  

No the are not. Just a check of the balance 3 months after date of application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

We have to wait and see after that 3 months of application ...if the go give you another appointment paper or not , all is new , more shall be clear after  month May finished as then more reports expected

Edited by david555

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

And if a check of the balance reveals the balance is under 400k............................?

The 400k law is now there.  We now have to see how they "interpret" the punishment for going under it.  ????

Edited by Thailand Outcast
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

400k doesn’t feature in your life now, donated to the cause, country, bank, whatever you want to call it.Scot me why some thinks it’s acceptable

We call it an 'ante'. It is what it costs to play in Thailand. If a retiree cannot afford to always have the ante on the table, then they should not play in Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Gumballl said:

We call it an 'ante'. It is what it costs to play in Thailand. If a retiree cannot afford to always have the ante on the table, then they should not play in Thailand.

"Upping the ante" may have been fine when Thailand was the only place to "play." 

Now there are other places to play, that are not so far away, where the ante is a lot less to play the same game, which means more to the player and less to "the house."  ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

At a minimum I'd bet they'd want to see a transaction on that very day showing an updated bank book.

That'd at least be better than a 100 THB bank letter.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just breezed through my 90-day report in Jomtien. The question of bank balance never arose.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I changed from Marriage to Retirement in mid December 2018 before these new rules came in. I wonder if I, or other persons similar, dip under the 400K during the coming year we will lose the Non 'O'?

Logic would say no. But it's something to consider.

I never actually do a 90 day as I work 28/28 and don't aim to go under the 400K but you never know :-)

Just a thought !

14 hours ago, ocddave said:

You suck it up, and deal with whatever else is going on without touching the "400 Thousand baht". Like take a loan out, whatever you have to do, if you want to stay.

That's not a terrible idea.

I would think that if you can prove to a bank that you have a pension fund or income, maybe a history of residence in thailand and, probably, some level of property ownership in Thailand, then it could be a nice little earner for an enterprising Thai bank to offer the correct type of account with the requisite funds in an account that you, as the borrower, cannot even access.

Zero risk and a nice little interest earner.

The bank maintains the funds according to your individual timeframe, allows no access without exeptional bank approval and charges interest monthly.

If you fail to pay the monthly interest, then the bank simply pulls the facility and you screw yourself up.

What's the current bank loan interest rates in Thailand?

A rate that lies around the difference between the deposit interest rate and the 12 month loan term rate might work?

Just my tired old brain clunking and grinding.........

-addendum:  Of course, this being Thailand and if such a financial instrument could be n place, I am pretty sure that the banks would actually push for even higher pledged amounts in these accounts so as to increase thier risk free interest payments.

Edited by saminoz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

That's the big worry. You might have a emergency in the first 6 months, it drops below 800k then you are thrown out of Thailand with 7 days notice.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, saminoz said:

That's not a terrible idea.

I would think that if you can prove to a bank that you have a pension fund or income, maybe a history of residence in thailand and, probably, some level of property ownership in Thailand, then it could be a nice little earner for an enterprising Thai bank to offer the correct type of account with the requisite funds in an account that you, as the borrower, cannot even access.

Zero risk and a nice little interest earner.

The bank maintains the funds according to your individual timeframe, allows no access without exeptional bank approval and charges interest monthly.

If you fail to pay the monthly interest, then the bank simply pulls the facility and you screw yourself up.

What's the current bank loan interest rates in Thailand?

A rate that lies around the difference between the deposit interest rate and the 12 month loan term rate might work?

Just my tired old brain clunking and grinding.........

-addendum:  Of course, this being Thailand and if such a financial instrument could be n place, I am pretty sure that the banks would actually push for even higher pledged amounts in these accounts so as to increase thier risk free interest payments.

Thai banks will not give loans to foreigners unless there is collateral in their name, or a Thai guarantor.

What's to stop the foreigner just leaving the country?