Going under 400,000

22 hours ago, Peterhua said:

So you put your 800 grand in a Thai bank

I hate to bust your big bank account bubble, but the term 'grand' refers to dollars. You're 800k baht account is about a  25 Grand account. You can't even buy a nice new car with that. 

22 hours ago, Peterhua said:

then an unforseen circumstance arises where you might need your bank balance to go under 400 thousand Baht, then what?

This is really sad from a financial perspective. You've retired, you don't have any money, you've chosen to living in Thailand where there is no safety net for foreigners. And now as a result of an ?unforeseen circumstance? you have less than 10 Grand. It's obvious from the question, that short-slightness has been a reoccurring detriment to your finances. The honest truth is , that it's time to move back to your home country where the welfare system can provide you with some assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

If not, then expats in non-compliance may be much better off just leaving Thailand voluntarily BEFORE showing up at any show bank book meeting.

Or avoiding immigration until the extension is nearly expired, and leaving without a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Or avoiding immigration until the extension is nearly expired, and leaving without a re-entry permit.

People using offices that are ORDERING a three month post seasoning report to check for 800K probably don't have that option. It seems to me sooner or later depending on staffing immigration will probably start coming after such people at their homes if they fail to show for that. They know where we live, right? 

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is really unknown at this time.

It is assumed they would not accept your next extension application. 

I agree , nobody know what will happen ! Even the IO do not know. Different story in each Immigration Office.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

People using offices that are ORDERING a three month post seasoning report to check for 800K probably don't have that option. It seems to me sooner or later depending on staffing immigration will probably start coming after such people at their homes if they fail to show for that. They know where we live, right? 

And that might be a lucrative ordeal! 

25 minutes ago, MickeyDelux said:

This is really sad from a financial perspective. You've retired, you don't have any money, you've chosen to living in Thailand where there is no safety net for foreigners. And now as a result of an ?unforeseen circumstance? you have less than 10 Grand. It's obvious from the question, that short-slightness has been a reoccurring detriment to your finances. The honest truth is , that it's time to move back to your home country where the welfare system can provide you with some assistance.

Who said i don't have any money? I have, i just prefer my money or the bulk of it not being in a Thai bank.

So Mr bubble burster please stop making asumptions about what you think or would like to think my financial situation is. Now jog on and find someplace else to troll

Edited by Peterhua
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no way I will ever have anything near 400.000 Bt in my Thai bank. The country is far too

unstable, compare the rules for expats and long time stayers now compared with ten years ago.

I rest my case.

1 hour ago, Peterhua said:

Single 50+ year old guy currently on retirement extension who doesn't want to or can't obey the new rules. Where are his different methods or visa options? Enlighten us...

If he's married, can go down the 400k route.

Start doing the 65k per month route.

Go back to country and get Non-imm OA visa.

Go the Elite visa route.

Getting a bit more dodgy:-

Try to get ED visa.

Teach English and get a B visa.

ME tourist visa.

Use an agent.

There's eight suggestions right there............enough?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ocddave said:

You suck it up, and deal with whatever else is going on without touching the "400 Thousand baht". Like take a loan out, whatever you have to do, if you want to stay.

There is no need to take a loan out, there are other ways, like seeing an agent.

Is that not what Thai immigration want you to do?

For the moment I still can use a Letter of Income. 

If not the case anymore, I transfer already now more than 65000 monthly to Thailand, so that would be my plan B. 

Being married I can use the 40000 monthly, that is my plan C. 

It seems that many don't even have one or another kind of plan B, and expected/expect that everything will remain the same as when they first come here to stay. 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If he's married, can go down the 400k route.

Start doing the 65k per month route.

Go back to country and get Non-imm OA visa.

Go the Elite visa route.

Getting a bit more dodgy:-

Try to get ED visa.

Teach English and get a B visa.

ME tourist visa.

Use an agent.

There's eight suggestions right there............enough?

Not one of your suggestions would be in any way suitable. Try again.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

Not really acceptable to me either which is one of the reasons why i'm considering going back to a non o visa based on marriage.

Oh! dear. Immigration won't be pleased at that, all the more work for them.

Don't forget the 2000 Bt for the IOs "fuel money" when they come to visit you. ????

11 hours ago, Gumballl said:

We call it an 'ante'. It is what it costs to play in Thailand. If a retiree cannot afford to always have the ante on the table, then they should not play in Thailand.

Another post full of nonsense.

Renewed my ext today.

When I asked about the new only 400k withdrawal requirement at my local immigration, the Im officer told me they haven’t been issued any orders to change the 800k requirement, so she said I can take all my money out of the account until next years renewal.

I’m already itching to take it all out and put it back into my 4% interest account, but nervous about shooting myself in the foot.

They can easily deny telling me I can take it all out at later 90 day report date etc!

What would you do?

Just now, twizzian said:

Renewed my ext today.

When I asked about the new only 400k withdrawal requirement at my local immigration, the Im officer told me they haven’t been issued any orders to change the 800k requirement, so she said I can take all my money out of the account until next years renewal.

I’m already itching to take it all out and put it back into my 4% interest account, but nervous about shooting myself in the foot.

They can easily deny telling me I can take it all out at later 90 day report date etc!

What would you do?

I would comply with the national rules.

Season at 800K for three months after and then 400K until the beginning of the next pre seasoning period.

I would add one month to those pre seasoning rules as well as some offices are already incorrectly applying it (so three months before instead of two).

Yes, be defensive in this perilous environment.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Peterhua said:

Who said i don't have any money? I have, i just prefer my money or the bulk of it not being in a Thai bank.

So Mr bubble burster please stop making asumptions about what you think or would like to think my financial situation is. Now jog on and find someplace else to troll

I apologize. I was only speaking hypothetically. I wasn't trolling you, I was giving hypothetical advice if some westerner found themselves running short or out of money in Thailand. I should have used different words.  Most of my money is also kept at a brokerage in another country. I only keep about 50 grand in Thailand at any one time. Of course my Thai bank account is electronically linked to my non-Thai bank accounts and in 3 days I can transfer funds should i have an unforeseen complication.   

6 hours ago, PaulDee said:

Just breezed through my 90-day report in Jomtien. The question of bank balance never arose.

Different IOs have different interpretation of "rules" even in the same office. 

6 hours ago, saminoz said:

That's not a terrible idea.

I would think that if you can prove to a bank that you have a pension fund or income, maybe a history of residence in thailand and, probably, some level of property ownership in Thailand, then it could be a nice little earner for an enterprising Thai bank to offer the correct type of account with the requisite funds in an account that you, as the borrower, cannot even access.

Zero risk and a nice little interest earner.

The bank maintains the funds according to your individual timeframe, allows no access without exeptional bank approval and charges interest monthly.

If you fail to pay the monthly interest, then the bank simply pulls the facility and you screw yourself up.

What's the current bank loan interest rates in Thailand?

A rate that lies around the difference between the deposit interest rate and the 12 month loan term rate might work?

Just my tired old brain clunking and grinding.........

-addendum:  Of course, this being Thailand and if such a financial instrument could be n place, I am pretty sure that the banks would actually push for even higher pledged amounts in these accounts so as to increase thier risk free interest payments.

"Just my tired old brain clunking and grinding.........". At least you probably have a brain, unlike a lot of these people who have probably paid for the high position they hold in the bank.

6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Well.......the price has gone up to "live a normal decent life with your family".

Can't meet the new rules, then you'll have to take your family back to your country of origin.

Not necessary, they can go and see an agent. Thai immigration will be happy about that.

I heard a rumor, and it's a rumor mind you, that the penalty is going to be having to watch a year's worth of re-runs of the PM's former Friday night TV broadcasts, and then getting kicked out of the country....

I'm not sure which of the two would be more painful.....  :w00t:

24 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

In Phuket immigration today, they said that any infraction on the new official seasoning requirements, will result in the cancellation of the original visa. Next year is still a way off. This interpretation is the official policy. 

But I'm not sure what that means, exactly.  So they'd cancel your extension of stay presumably as of the date you went under the required amount... And then perhaps you'd be considered to have been on overstay ever since that point until you show up at year's end to apply for a new extension (if you do).  So then what happens?