Going under 400,000

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But I'm not sure what that means, exactly.  So they'd cancel your extension of stay presumably as of the date you went under the required amount... And then perhaps you'd be considered to have been on overstay ever since that point until you show up at year's end to apply for a new extension (if you do).  So then what happens?

No, I don't think so. The impression I got was that the visa would be cancelled right there and then. Nothing retroactive.

Without a valid visa, you can't get an extension. Seven days and then out?

6 hours ago, saminoz said:

Thanks Joe, but the whole point of this is that although it "might" be quantified as a loan, the foreigner will never have the opportunity to actually withdraw the money because they won't have access.  This is put into what is called a compte nanti (or pledged account).

But you raise a good point too:  I have bought a couple of properties, which are (happily) in my wife's name.  I'd be completey happy to use these as ollateral, especially if I know that the principal sum cannot be touched and there is, therefore, no risk to our collateral.  That facility would be worth a reasonable monthly fee.

Common sense would see it work that way, but that is not on the Thai make up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If he's married, can go down the 400k route.

Start doing the 65k per month route.

Go back to country and get Non-imm OA visa.

Go the Elite visa route.

Getting a bit more dodgy:-

Try to get ED visa.

Teach English and get a B visa.

ME tourist visa.

Use an agent.

There's eight suggestions right there............enough?

The last one spot on.

5 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

No, I don't think so. The impression I got was that the visa would be cancelled right there and then. Nothing retroactive.

Without a valid visa, you can't get an extension. Seven days and then out?

There is no 7 days and out. If your extension is cancled you have to leave that day. 

7 days only applies to an application that is refused. So if your extension is cancled you may be able to make an application that day pay your 1,900, get refused an extension and get 7 more days.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No, it was never, ever fine. Go read Ruling out the foreigner (2003), the 17-page granddaddy "killing the goose" bash fest prompted by the news that after many years Thailand would dare raise visa fees. OMG. THIS WAS IT. The teeth gnashing, the hair pulling, the knickers twisting; the ranting, the wailing, the screaming, the anguish, the shock, the accusations of insanity, and of course the dire prophecies! No one would be left to shop in the malls, no one would buy condos, bar girls would disappear, and Thais would all have to return to work in rice paddies. Back to the Stone Age!

Same shit.

Not the same game, as so many posts attest in the regional forums. Moreover, the increase in particular expenses elsewhere may not offset the extra that would be required to stay in Thailand, or not by enough to make moving seem really worthwhile to avoid making a few new changes for TI.  

All the other places touted in the neighborhood aren't really comparable to Thailand. Malaysia comes closest and has a retirement program. It's never mentioned. ???? 

Thailand's not for everyone and never has been. Yet having tried the alternatives, I and many like me will continue to prefer living here and roll with flow. Thailand's a mess, true, but it's an interesting, unique, mostly fun kind of mess if you can adapt. Me, I renewed my visa under the new rules and the process was "smooth as silk." 

That 2003 thread is hilarious, all the same comments, how dare they, the sky is falling etc.

(BTW, welcome back, haven't seen you posting for months)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Plan B? This place has been my home for nearly forty years. I'm going nowhere. Can easily meet the requirements and if they change, I can still meet them.

I have a great life here. Leaving it is not an option.

But hey? If you're willing to leave over these new requirements, maybe that is because you're affected by the money requirements, or, you don't have many attachments. Either way, you gotta do what you gotta do.

You clearly have enough finances to stay here, you have been here 40 years so take it you are at least over 60, if not more. Not scaremongering but suppose compulsory insurance is required, its almost impossible to obtain for over 70s, what would you do then....or do you already know of companies that provide adaquate insurance for over 70s, 80s

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

You clearly have enough finances to stay here, you have been here 40 years so take it you are at least over 60, if not more. Not scaremongering but suppose compulsory insurance is required, its almost impossible to obtain for over 70s, what would you do then....or do you already know of companies that provide adaquate insurance for over 70s, 80s

I'm 60. I started health insurance when I was 57, so, I have no problems in that regard.

15 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

My Bangkok Bank account doesn't allow me to go below 400,000baht.

Maybe it's because I have their credit card? 

I have one of those, the amount in the FD matches my CC limit. It would be convenient to use it as part of my 800,000 requirement, or perhaps I could push both the CC limit and the FD amount to the required 800k. I would not expect it to work as the money is not available for living off, whether immigration would recognise that, or the bank would issue a letter based on that account would be the question. Ironic really, since the recent changes actually do prevent near any monies being used to live off. 

17 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

In Phuket immigration today, they said that any infraction on the new official seasoning requirements, will result in the cancellation of the original visa. Next year is still a way off. This interpretation is the official policy. 

Immigration volunteers or the head guy behind the desk downstairs?
so in effect if u go under 400,000, ur visa is cancelled?
how, if u dont go to immigration?

If you do go, lets say for a re entry permit, your not asked for your bank book.
will you get in trouble if u leave and your bank is under 400,000?
how would they know? never been asked for a bank book on leaving the country.

What about the many that use an agent an the 800/400 is never really there beyond one day?

The impression I got was that the visa would be cancelled right there and then. Nothing retroactive.

so, if u never go to immigration, even if u drop under 400,000, your extension is valid and only when you go to renew in 2020 will u be told   nope.

Edited by phuketrichard

6 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Immigration volunteers or the head guy behind the desk downstairs?
so in effect if u go under 400,000, ur visa is cancelled?
how, if u dont go to immigration?

If you do go, lets say for a re entry permit, your not asked for your bank book.
will you get in trouble if u leave and your bank is under 400,000?
how would they know? never been asked for a bank book on leaving the country.

What about the many that use an agent an the 800/400 is never really there beyond one day?

so, if u never go to immigration, even if u drop under 400,000, your extension is valid and only when you go to renew in 2020 will u be told   nope.

When you go to do your next extension. They will want to see a bank statement for the whole of the previous year issued by the bank. If it doesn't comply, kiss not only your extension goodbye, but, also the underlying visa. This will put you back to square one.

This came from the head honcho in room 103.

If you don't go in person, then, you must be using an agent.

28 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If it doesn't comply, kiss not only your extension goodbye, but, also the underlying visa.

The original visa that gave the permit to stay that has been extended would already be invalid since it likely has expired already or was a single entry visa that was invalid as soon as it was used.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, Thailand Outcast said:

I believe Jomtien Immigration are asking to see your bank book with bank balance when reporting.  

That is correct. You sign a document that tells you what the rules are and they give you a date to report with your updated passbook. 90 days from receiving the extension.

I asked the IO what happens if you are out of Thailand on report date and she informed me that it was not a problem just do it as soon as you are back. She said they would check the departure card date to support the later than planned reporting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Just telling what was told to me.

as joe said the visa expired on the date it was set to expire and you received your extension on said visa.

My Original single entry non o visa expired 16th of oct 2002

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is no 7 days and out. If your extension is cancled you have to leave that day. 

7 days only applies to an application that is refused. So if your extension is cancled you may be able to make an application that day pay your 1,900, get refused an extension and get 7 more days.

On top of it be on overstay …, with possible a certain ban on return depending how long that overstay would be because taking the money out ?

So many not clear consequences  to discover coming month's up to the first complete 1 year extensions becomes done

Any Guiney pigs here to help us out  ?? :tongue:

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

No changes for those applying for extensions of stay based upon marriage to a Thai or the parent of one.

Even for those on an extension based upon retirement in reality there is no change to the basic financial requirements of 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income.

but where does it state that its 65,00 on the new rules

i read it as income, plus funds, with no minimum amount of income shown

But was told "you no go below 400,00 in bank"

But it also staes, must have 800,00 in bank on date of application, as per section 4 ?

3 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

That is correct. You sign a document that tells you what the rules are and they give you a date to report with your updated passbook. 90 days from receiving the extension.

I asked the IO what happens if you are out of Thailand on report date and she informed me that it was not a problem just do it as soon as you are back. She said they would check the departure card date to support the later than planned reporting.

not been told this at Nakon Phanom, about 90 day updated pass book

The paper with the rules i refused to sign, as i did not understand the rules, and neither do the immigration

Was told "come back next month, maybe we know then"

5 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

but where does it state that its 65,00 on the new rules

i read it as income, plus funds, with no minimum amount of income shown

But was told "you no go below 400,00 in bank"

But it also staes, must have 800,00 in bank on date of application, as per section 4 ?

Download these two new orders.

Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income 

Police Order 35/2562 Changing 327/2557 Clause 2.22  Changing requirements for an extension based upon retirement.

23 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I scanned through this thread and to me it is almost as if people are acting like mortar shells are landing in their backyards. What a dicey environment this is! Then, there is an entire sect of posts inventing perils that are surely "going to happen soon".

My favorite bunch by far though are the "I am going to leave Thailand by golly, I'll do it!" posts. These are pure gold. "I am gonna leave I tell ya! I'll do it. There are much greener pastures out there!". I can hear Thais shudder in their flip flops at the thought of pretentious, needy, grumpy, perverted, stingy, picky, smelly, old men vacating their country. 

I personally know of 2 guys who have left.  Both have lived in Thailand for more than 10 years.  It's not just hyperbole.  One guy could have afforded the money but he did it on principle.  It was not just this but the whole anti-foreigner pattern in general. This was just kind of the last straw for him.

Tying up 400-800k to sit in a bank doing absolutely nothing is a lot of money if you are on a fixed income and/or living on modest investments.  It wouldn't be quite so bad if they let you invest that money somehow.  Like to buy a condo or earn a decent interest rate or something.  So it's not just sitting there doing nothing.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, lapd said:

I personally know of 2 guys who have left.  Both have lived in Thailand for more than 10 years.  It's not just hyperbole.  One guy could have afforded the money but he did it on principle.  It was not just this but the whole anti-foreigner pattern in general. This was just kind of the last straw for him.

Tying up 400-800k to sit in a bank doing absolutely nothing is a lot of money if you are on a fixed income and/or living on modest investments.  It wouldn't be quite so bad if they let you invest that money somehow.  Like to buy a condo or earn a decent interest rate or something.  So it's not just sitting there doing nothing.

So.....why not go down the 65k per month route?

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

So.....why not go down the 65k per month route? 

Because it's not clear to me how you "prove" the money comes from abroad. And on your extension day the IO might just say sorry one month not proved so the whole visa is invalid.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Because it's not clear to me how you "prove" the money comes from abroad. And on your extension day the IO might just say sorry one month not proved so the whole visa is invalid.

What he means is, "Gotcha, now go see my agent-partner."  Could also demand proof that your income is a "state pension" only, or some other manufactured way to block your legit-extension.

• Like 1