BANGKOK 19 May 2019 15:59
CharlieH

Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Has been of no use to me whatsoever (though have flashed it at a couple of checkpoints and been immediately waved through) but happy to pick up ideas from others!

Would be interested in what, if anything, it could mean for you at a government hospital

Once you get your head around the "its your name in Thai" thing, it becomes more useful, open and operate a Thai (script) name bank account with it, instead of trying to operate an English name account with Thai name ID. If you want to use it for flight checkin, make the booking in Thai script etc.

Sheryl, the mod that answers the medicial questions, was saying in another thread its needed to register at public hospitials to get ongoing social security if you finish working.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Once you get your head around the "its your name in Thai" thing, it becomes more useful, open and operate a Thai (script) name bank account with it, instead of trying to operate an English name account with Thai name ID. If you want to use it for flight checkin, make the booking in Thai script etc.

Sheryl, the mod that answers the medicial questions, was saying in another thread its needed to register at public hospitials to get ongoing social security if you finish working.

Thanks I've tried about 15 times to read your reply but that emoji is like the call of the mermaid to me !!

Not sure how booking a flight in Thai script helps me ? I mean the Mrs could do it but don't see the benefit  ? - Never worked here so I guess I'll keep looking for an 'in'

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Have you successfully opened a bank account with your name in Thai script? Which bank?

I asked about it in passing once when opening a new SCB account. The staff there insisted as a non-Thai it was compulsory to have your account name following your passport details.

As to the flight check-in, I've booked domestic Thai flights for my sister-in-law. In every instance when booking online, the system will only accept the name in English, not Thai.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Thanks I've tried about 15 times to read your reply but that emoji is like the call of the mermaid to me !!

Not sure how booking a flight in Thai script helps me ? I mean the Mrs could do it but don't see the benefit  ? - Never worked here so I guess I'll keep looking for an 'in'

I suppose in theory you could leave the passport at home, catch a plane, operate a bank account, renew license etc, so long as you move everything over to, and use, your name in Thai.

(sorry about the emoji, I stare at her sometimes, lol)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

have used yellow book for license and to transfer vehicles, saved several trips to immigration to get resident certificates. Recently used YB to register for online TM30 system.

I have used Pink ID 8-10 times to get Thai price at places and to buy SIM cards at 7/11, and once to get into a Thai only army beach south of Pattaya. As ID at Public hospital but not sure if that allowed access or changed the price..

I paid 700 baht to an agent to transfer vehicles. No need to visit anywhere except the agent's office. My real estate agent registers my TM30 for free. I take two pics and send her in her line number and I get TM30 receipts in my mail within a week. 

Bought lots of sim cards using passport only. No problem. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I suppose in theory you could leave the passport at home, catch a plane, operate a bank account, renew license etc, so long as you move everything over to, and use, your name in Thai.

Is not the name is also written in English? In my GF's ID card, her name is also written in English

• Thanks 1