Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

8 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Has been of no use to me whatsoever (though have flashed it at a couple of checkpoints and been immediately waved through) but happy to pick up ideas from others!

Would be interested in what, if anything, it could mean for you at a government hospital

Once you get your head around the "its your name in Thai" thing, it becomes more useful, open and operate a Thai (script) name bank account with it, instead of trying to operate an English name account with Thai name ID. If you want to use it for flight checkin, make the booking in Thai script etc.

Sheryl, the mod that answers the medicial questions, was saying in another thread its needed to register at public hospitials to get ongoing social security if you finish working.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Once you get your head around the "its your name in Thai" thing, it becomes more useful, open and operate a Thai (script) name bank account with it, instead of trying to operate an English name account with Thai name ID. If you want to use it for flight checkin, make the booking in Thai script etc.

Sheryl, the mod that answers the medicial questions, was saying in another thread its needed to register at public hospitials to get ongoing social security if you finish working.

Have you successfully opened a bank account with your name in Thai script? Which bank?

I asked about it in passing once when opening a new SCB account. The staff there insisted as a non-Thai it was compulsory to have your account name following your passport details.

As to the flight check-in, I've booked domestic Thai flights for my sister-in-law. In every instance when booking online, the system will only accept the name in English, not Thai.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Thanks I've tried about 15 times to read your reply but that emoji is like the call of the mermaid to me !!

Not sure how booking a flight in Thai script helps me ? I mean the Mrs could do it but don't see the benefit  ? - Never worked here so I guess I'll keep looking for an 'in'

I suppose in theory you could leave the passport at home, catch a plane, operate a bank account, renew license etc, so long as you move everything over to, and use, your name in Thai.

(sorry about the emoji, I stare at her sometimes, lol)

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

have used yellow book for license and to transfer vehicles, saved several trips to immigration to get resident certificates. Recently used YB to register for online TM30 system.

I have used Pink ID 8-10 times to get Thai price at places and to buy SIM cards at 7/11, and once to get into a Thai only army beach south of Pattaya. As ID at Public hospital but not sure if that allowed access or changed the price..

I paid 700 baht to an agent to transfer vehicles. No need to visit anywhere except the agent's office. My real estate agent registers my TM30 for free. I take two pics and send her in her line number and I get TM30 receipts in my mail within a week. 

Bought lots of sim cards using passport only. No problem. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I suppose in theory you could leave the passport at home, catch a plane, operate a bank account, renew license etc, so long as you move everything over to, and use, your name in Thai.

Is not the name is also written in English? In my GF's ID card, her name is also written in English

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I have a BKK bank account opened with pink ID, thats how I found out about it. Opened the book up and saw thai name then asked why, the girl said because you opened it with thai name ID.

Yes, some airlines are english only but some thai ones have both. I was just putting that foward as an example of to use the pink ID you need to do things in Thai name.

Out of interest, did Bangkok Bank want to see your passport as well, even though they used your Thai ID for the account?

Knowing how it works with banks, and the same bank have different ways of applying the same rules in different branches, and even different staff in the same branch, I'm sure it won't be applied consistently. It worked for you though.

I originally obtained a 'Yellow Book' as it was a requirement to obtaining 'Thai Government Health Insurance for Foreigners'  It proved to be a wasted exercise as the 'Health insurance' scheme was cancelled after a few months. Then a couple of years back they came out with the 'Pink ID Card' providing you had/have a 'Yellow Book'. The card was free so why not. Have I used them otherwise? Nah, all a complete waste of time and money.

Problem with a 'Pink ID Card' is that you can only use it within the province to where you obtained it.

Edited by Rally123

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Out of interest, did Bangkok Bank want to see your passport as well, even though they used your Thai ID for the account?

Knowing how it works with banks, and the same bank have different ways of applying the same rules in different branches, and even different staff in the same branch, I'm sure it won't be applied consistently. It worked for you though.

Thats sort of how it came about, I had left my passport in the car so only presented the pink ID. Also, I cant operate that account with passport (when required to change passwords etc), they want Pink ID.

It the same with a license, I used passport originally so its still passport but a mate has a license from a pink ID, name in thai and citizen number on license. Uses pink ID for renewal etc.

As you say, probably lots of variations across banks.

In theory, if you started from scratch with a pink ID, you should be able to do all the things you can do with passport, in theory, lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I obtained one today. I visited my local Amphur first to enquire what was needed etc.

Yellow Tabien Bahn + copy

passposrt + copy of ID page

Visa page copy.

Returned with required documents etc and a 10 yr ID card was issued in under 10 minutes.

Cost= 85 baht. Was told next one would be for life.

Hope this acts as a guide to others but please be sure to check with your local office as what they require, as Provincial Offices can and do vary.

Here in Phitsanulok I was told I had to be married to get a Yellow Book...Pink Card.

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I opened an account in TMB and the book name is in Thai. They paid little attention to my passport and took all info for ID from yellow book. I didnt have an ID card at that time.

So I am not the only one, lol. As I said before yellow book and ID is the same information.

If you go foward and change everthing over to Thai then it can be used more, it fails when name in English ID in Thai.

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Here in Phitsanulok I was told I had to be married to get a Yellow Book...Pink Card.

You could maybe find and printout the act, Its called the alien registration act (something like that). I recall reading on here someone took that document to the ampher and made them aware of their mistake and everything went ahead.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I paid 700 baht to an agent to transfer vehicles. No need to visit anywhere except the agent's office. My real estate agent registers my TM30 for free. I take two pics and send her in her line number and I get TM30 receipts in my mail within a week. 

Bought lots of sim cards using passport only. No problem. 

Yes, I always use agents to transfer vehicles but they have always needed a either a WP, certificate of residence or copy of yellow book for proof of address, to give to the DLT. DLT wont transfer without. The yellow book saves the trips to immigration getting Resident certificates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

90% of getting the pink ID is getting the yellow book, its all the same information, your name in Thai, citizen number etc, the ID card is a quick process after you get the yellow book.

Some running around to get at Pattaya city hall, 2 visits, witness's etc, the main thing being they want (I think most amphers also want) is an MFA certified translation of your name into Thai, but they accepted marriage documents as they contain mfa translation, saved a trip to BKK.

What many dont realise, as above, yellow book and ID card is your name in Thai. So if you get a license using it or open a bank account using it, the name on license or account name will be in Thai script, and your ID citizen number is on your license not your passport number. The same if you book a plane ticket, if you book with name in Thai script then the checkin will want ID with name in Thai, book in English then they want a name in English ID (passport etc).

This lead to many people saying the pink ID is useless, they are trying to operate an English name bank account with a Thai name ID, check in to a flight booked in English script then want to checkin with a Thai script ID. 

Everyone mentions the phrase on the back of the ID that says something like "cannot travel outside of area". This is a lost in translation thing and basically means the card is not transferable. If you move "permanently" to another province you cannot keep using the old card, you get a new card at the new province. the card cannot travel to a new permanent address and remain valid, the card holder can travel and use the card anywhere to show their permanent home address.

I have used yellow book for license and to transfer vehicles, saved several trips to immigration to get resident certificates. Recently used YB to register for online TM30 system.

I have used Pink ID 8-10 times to get Thai price at places and to buy SIM cards at 7/11, and once to get into a Thai only army beach south of Pattaya. As ID at Public hospital but not sure if that allowed access or changed the price..

If the local ampher isnt wanting impossible things, it worth getting, one more thing you can pull out of the hat at bank, immigration, DLT etc

Besides the yellow book, folks with PR can also get the pink card. I have it and my name is in a standard blue Tabien Baan book, which is for the house and land owned by my Thai son, I live in the same house permanently therefore  my name is in the standard blue book.. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Besides the yellow book, folks with PR can also get the pink card. I have it and my name is in a standard blue Tabien Baan book, which is for the house and land owned by my Thai son, I live in the same house permanently therefore  my name is in the standard blue book.. 

Your citizen number is different isnt it ? Mine is a 6 which is burmese condo builders and non PR, lol

Edited by Peterw42

I was in our local Amphur office assisting the MIL with a new ID card, and the lady on the desk asked if I had a pink card yet, I said no, she said come back tomorrow with yellow book and passport and we will issue one. Did exactly that next day, no hassle whatsoever. Not had the occasion to use it as yet, as I generally flash my Thai driving license at checkpoints.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:
1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

You could maybe find and printout the act, Its called the alien registration act (something like that). I recall reading on here someone took that document to the ampher and made them aware of their mistake and everything went ahead.

I think the alien registration act is about the pink card and not related to the yellow tabien baan. It also appears to be mandatory (!) at least in the 1950 act here:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Alien_Registration_Act,_B.E._2493_(1950).pdf

The yellow tabien baan is more associated with foreigners buying a condo and living in them, and also associated with marriage in so far as you may be living with your wife. Example I have a condo and have been married a long time. We live in the condo along with some nieces (wife's family is 90% female for 3 generations). I have a yellow tabien baan where I am registered as master of the house. My wife has a blue tabien baan for the same address, she his house master and our nieces are registered in her blue tabian baan.

I did get a pink ID card just last week at the samnakngan khet Laksi, where I live. It was easy as I've had the yellow tabien ban. Also needed my passport and they wanted my wife's blue tabian ban which I did not bring. They then allowed me to use my chanote teedin instead. They also required a Thai witness, which in this case was my wife.

The yellow tabien ban is useful and convenient for may things but not necessary. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Same thing in Pattaya when I tried about 10 years ago...

and they previously made me come back 2 times for useless documents

before telling me than without a Thai wife they would not give me a yellow Book...

PS: and yes, I know, some people easily get one at the same place a few years later.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Same thing in Pattaya when I tried about 10 years ago...

and they previously made me come back 2 times for useless documents

before telling me than without a Thai wife they would not give me a yellow Book...

PS: and yes, I know, some people easily get one at the same place a few years later.

An earlier post I made, included this text:

"I did read a report on TVF about a member who contacted the Ombudsman after being point blank refused a yellow house book. He said the within 24 hours, the amphur concerned contacted him and issued the document (albeit with bad grace). "

I do remember the guy said it was Banglamung he was dealing with, who refused his initial application. IIRC that was two/three years ago?

• Like 1