Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

Got a pink card few years back. I already had a yellow book. No need to be married to a Thai. The only times that I have used the pink card is to obtain Thai admissions prices at museums, exhibitions, etc. I don't know whether they give me the Thai price because the pink card entitles me to it, or because they have never seen a pink card before.

Also, it's nice because it shows me about 5 cm taller than I am (they took the picture at an angle).

Other than that, I think it's quite ok to give it a miss.

• Like 2

The old ones used to have written on them "Non-Thai Identification card".

There is a law that all aliens must have one. Nobody cares about this.

I used my pink card today for getting a medical certificate.

The only reason I got it was that the special branch police told me I needed it to apply for Thai citizenship, which is false.

When renewing my driving license, they wouldn't accept it as proof of address.

I find it rather offensive, microchips for foreigners will be next.

It makes some illiterate expats feel integrated into Thai culture, good for them.

• Sad 1

Good thread.

I've never actually seen one of the pink ID cards, I don't know anyone who has one. 

I know some info has been covered already but what are the real benefits of having one?

Can the pink ID be used in place of your passport say for when:

- renewing work permit

- renewing driving license

- opening bank account/international banking

- purchasing mobile SIM

- checking into hotel/domestic air travel

Apart from dealing with immigration, which i obviously need my passport for, the instances listed above are the only occasions when I am ever ask to show my passport in Thailand.

I know many people who have one

Pink ID card is very useful, and Thai people   ( banks, amphoe , post office …) accept it if you don't have your passeport and prefer it to the driving license 

2 years ago, I got a tabian ban, and the amphoe, in the same time, did my ID card, I didn't ask anything

the only time bank asks for my passeport instead of ID is when I transfer money or open an account 

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1

Yes, have one and easy to get. Fully accepted at police checkpoint.

opened a new account at Government Bank with one; they preferred it to my passport. So it's a positive for those having difficulty in opening accounts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I obtained one today. I visited my local Amphur first to enquire what was needed etc.

Yellow Tabien Bahn + copy

passposrt + copy of ID page

Visa page copy.

Returned with required documents etc and a 10 yr ID card was issued in under 10 minutes.

Cost= 85 baht. Was told next one would be for life.

Hope this acts as a guide to others but please be sure to check with your local office as what they require, as Provincial Offices can and do vary.

Same experience but they also took my photo and measured me up for my coffin. Was told that mine was for life as I am over 60.

Wife was changing hers to her new province, so I decided to get one for something to do as I was waiting for her. Never used it, doubt that I ever will as my TDL seems to do everything it might be useful for.

3 minutes ago, greg67 said:

Yes, I found it useful... While waiting for my new passport to arrive from my embassy, I lost my Thai driver's license for a car. When I went to driver license office to inquire about replacement they insisted on seeing my passport. I could not comply with this request because I mailed my passport to my embassy as a part of the renewal process. Instead I produced my Thai motorcycle license which was rejected right away... I was about to leave when I remembered having my pink ID card. My pink ID card was accepted on the spot and I was issued with new Thai Driving License.

I never understand the DLT and not accepting their own license's as identification or proof of address. You already showed ID and proof of address to get the license but its not ID/address they accept to put a car in your name, replace or renew lost or expired license.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I never understand the DLT and not accepting their own license's as identification or proof of address. You already showed ID and proof of address to get the license but its not ID/address they accept to put a car in your name, replace or renew lost or expired license.

Maybe because your driving licence may not show an up to date address. Mine didn't until I renewed it last time as I had moved house but not bothered to update the license.  Too much hassle to spend all day at DLT doing the update when no-one ever looks at it anyway.

Have had one for a few years now. They issued me a lifetime me card first off. 

My initial reason for getting one was the fact that the card stores your blood group. I thought this worth it alone. 

I have used the card for many things including;

- ID for domestic flights, and I've always booked online in English, no problem. 

- opening a bank a/c. 

- ordering medicine online at my doctors clinic. 

- ID for surgery at a private hospital. 

- additional ID if the cops have more than a casual interest at a check point. 

- ducking dual pricing at national parks. 

- opening an a/c at the BAAC and applying for funeral insurance. 

- useful for any ID matters, the card appears to be always excepted. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Once you get your head around the "its your name in Thai" thing, it becomes more useful, open and operate a Thai (script) name bank account with it, instead of trying to operate an English name account with Thai name ID. If you want to use it for flight checkin, make the booking in Thai script etc.

Sheryl, the mod that answers the medicial questions, was saying in another thread its needed to register at public hospitials to get ongoing social security if you finish working.

Two points:

Yes the social security medical is available when you finish working but you must specifically indicate that you want it to continue and it must be done at the time of claiming SS refunds, next day is absolutely too late, I know, I got caught on this point, absolutely no chance of a review to get the medical coverage continued.

Some airlines will accept the card at check-in but they are not legally bound to do so. On the back of the card (unless it's very recently changed) it says the holder is not allowed to go further than 30 or 50 kilometres (i forget which one is correct) away from the place of issue of the card, and I'm aware of one check-in lady, in Chiang Mai who refused to accept it on this specific wording and she was later at the gate and again refused to accept the pink card. 

• Like 1

Yes, I always use agents to transfer vehicles but they have always needed a either a WP, certificate of residence or copy of yellow book for proof of address, to give to the DLT. DLT wont transfer without. The yellow book saves the trips to immigration getting Resident certificates.
I did not get any certificate of residence. May be the agent got it for me from immigration. He seems to be happy to see my TM30 receipt in my passport. Otherwise he was asking me for the lease.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Two points:

Yes the social security medical is available when you finish working but you must specifically indicate that you want it to continue and it must be done at the time of claiming SS refunds, next day is absolutely too late, I know, I got caught on this point, absolutely no chance of a review to get the medical coverage continued.

Some airlines will accept the card at check-in but they are not legally bound to do so. On the back of the card (unless it's very recently changed) it says the holder is not allowed to go further than 30 or 50 kilometres (i forget which one is correct) away from the place of issue of the card, and I'm aware of one check-in lady, in Chiang Mai who refused to accept it on this specific wording and she was later at the gate and again refused to accept the pink card. 

The statement on the back is a lost in translation thing, (as explained by the big boss when I got the ID) it is poorly worded and doesnt translate properly but It is basically saying "not transferable".  You cannot get a Pink ID in Phuket then move permanently to chaing Mai and keep using the same card. Like a state drivers license (back home) then moving to another state. As you say, even Thais dont understand it.

• Like 1

Yes. I use mine regularly. Only once had a problem at Air Asia ticket counter flying Buriram to BKK. Kid behind the counter said on back of card it says ‘can only be used in Buriram.’  I explained error in his ways   However he insisted so I showed him my driver license. After he said ok no problem I said by the way the card is issued in Buriram and the airport is in Buriram so what’s the problem?  He just couldn’t understand that logic!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

90% of getting the pink ID is getting the yellow book, its all the same information, your name in Thai, citizen number etc, the ID card is a quick process after you get the yellow book.

Some running around to get at Pattaya city hall, 2 visits, witness's etc, the main thing being they want (I think most amphers also want) is an MFA certified translation of your name into Thai, but they accepted marriage documents as they contain mfa translation, saved a trip to BKK.

What many dont realise, as above, yellow book and ID card is your name in Thai. So if you get a license using it or open a bank account using it, the name on license or account name will be in Thai script, and your ID citizen number is on your license not your passport number. The same if you book a plane ticket, if you book with name in Thai script then the checkin will want ID with name in Thai, book in English then they want a name in English ID (passport etc).

This lead to many people saying the pink ID is useless, they are trying to operate an English name bank account with a Thai name ID, check in to a flight booked in English script then want to checkin with a Thai script ID. 

Everyone mentions the phrase on the back of the ID that says something like "cannot travel outside of area". This is a lost in translation thing and basically means the card is not transferable. If you move "permanently" to another province you cannot keep using the old card, you get a new card at the new province. the card cannot travel to a new permanent address and remain valid, the card holder can travel and use the card anywhere to show their permanent home address.

I have used yellow book for license and to transfer vehicles, saved several trips to immigration to get resident certificates. Recently used YB to register for online TM30 system.

I have used Pink ID 8-10 times to get Thai price at places and to buy SIM cards at 7/11, and once to get into a Thai only army beach south of Pattaya. As ID at Public hospital but not sure if that allowed access or changed the price..

If the local ampher isnt wanting impossible things, it worth getting, one more thing you can pull out of the hat at bank, immigration, DLT etc

Hi good morning,what is online tm30 system?Does that mean I can change my address online or means I can report I'm back home[thai address] and where to find it?Thanks

1 minute ago, DepDavid said:

Yes. I use mine regularly. Only once had a problem at Air Asia ticket counter flying Buriram to BKK. Kid behind the counter said on back of card it says ‘can only be used in Buriram.’  I explained error in his ways   However he insisted so I showed him my driver license. After he said ok no problem I said by the way the card is issued in Buriram and the airport is in Buriram so what’s the problem?  He just couldn’t understand that logic!

I think that's the point: You can't apply logic when dealing with bureaucrats.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Hi good morning,what is online tm30 system?Does that mean I can change my address online or means I can report I'm back home[thai address] and where to find it?Thanks

Its the online TM30 reporting, the same as the hotels use, (I'm back home). Can do TM30 for yourself or any staying at the property you register)

Register here  https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/ (if successful you get back a username and password to access the online system)

Not sure if available in all areas but I registered (my condo) no problems in Pattaya

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its the online TM30 reporting, the same as the hotels use, (I'm back home). Can do TM30 for yourself or any staying at the property you register)

Register here  https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Not sure if available in all areas but I registered (my condo) no problems in Pattaya

Thanks a lot

30 minutes ago, roodujardin said:

Have had one for a few years now. They issued me a lifetime me card first off. 

My initial reason for getting one was the fact that the card stores your blood group. I thought this worth it alone. 

I have used the card for many things including;

- ID for domestic flights, and I've always booked online in English, no problem. 

- opening a bank a/c. 

- ordering medicine online at my doctors clinic. 

- ID for surgery at a private hospital. 

- additional ID if the cops have more than a casual interest at a check point. 

- ducking dual pricing at national parks. 

- opening an a/c at the BAAC and applying for funeral insurance. 

- useful for any ID matters, the card appears to be always excepted. 

Interesting. I have had a slightly different experience including my pink card not being accepted for a domestic flight. I therefore always have my driver's license or passport in reserve.

I think we are basically in a transition phase as officials become used to it. Looking forward I think it will become completely acceptable in years to come. In the meantime, it's sometimes more trouble than it's worth - ie the boredom of having to explain what it is to some sceptical Thai official.

Still, good to know it works when I apply for my funeral insurance.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

Normally you can't use it outside the province, ( 4 in the back of the card )  so it's not accepted to buy a plane ticket unless you stay in the same province , but in fact, many people use it to buy a plane ticket to go to an other province 

5 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I have one, about the same usefulness as a yellow house book, better for getting Thai prices at attractions, parks etc.

Every body has a different experience; in many places yellow book is not accepted, but the ID is accepted 

• Like 2

The Pink Card is about the most useful ID a Farang can have. It was free from my local Amphur - took about a half hour to complete. Could have been quicker but the gals there were unfamiliar with the new camera. 

• Like 1