Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

This has already been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Did you take your passport to the office?

Didn’t you read my report? I said passport was never mentioned renewing the DL.

Yes, I did take my passport with me. I expected that the law would require the DLT to check my (non) immigrant status. I also carry my original marriage cert, copies of my wife’s docs, my childrens’ docs, my condo ownership docs and other copies I might need in my documents folder. I can assure you it’s not that heavy nor difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Didn’t you read my report? I said passport was never mentioned renewing the DL.

Yes, I did take my passport with me. I expected that the law would require the DLT to check my (non) immigrant status. I also carry my original marriage cert, copies of my wife’s docs, my childrens’ docs, my condo ownership docs and other copies I might need in my documents folder. I can assure you it’s not that heavy nor difficult.

As you took your passport, you should have used it. Then you would have had photo ID with your passport number on it, which can be used for certain things like boarding a domestic flight, or at the bank. However, carry on taking your passport as it's not heavy.???? be careful you don't lose it.

As you took your passport, you should have used it. Then you would have had photo ID with your passport number on it, which can be used for certain things like boarding a domestic flight, or at the bank. However, carry on taking your passport as it's not heavy.[emoji19] be careful you don't lose it.

I didn’t use the passport for specifically those reasons. I like my Thai identity and there are few personal experiences here to read about using it. So no problems so far and will keep opening new topics on those. BTW, no bank should accept DL as it is not official ID. I use my pink ID with my ID-13 accounts. For domestic flights we know DL is commonly accepted. I don’t see why that would change for me with ID-13. There is no PP number in a domestic ticket. Hotels, we will see if it makes any difference.. I would guess not. It is the TM6 they should report if done correctly for TM30.

If I would lose my passport I would get a new one. I do scan my recent stamps and can print them to show at Imm. It’s not that big deal to loose your sleep over.

45 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

I didn’t use the passport for specifically those reasons. I like my Thai identity and there are few personal experiences here to read about using it. So no problems so far and will keep opening new topics on those. BTW, no bank should accept DL as it is not official ID. I use my pink ID with my ID-13 accounts. For domestic flights we know DL is commonly accepted. I don’t see why that would change for me with ID-13. There is no PP number in a domestic ticket. Hotels, we will see if it makes any difference.. I would guess not. It is the TM6 they should report if done correctly for TM30.

If I would lose my passport I would get a new one. I do scan my recent stamps and can print them to show at Imm. It’s not that big deal to loose your sleep over.

The advantage of using Passport and tabien baan is then the DL is bi-lingual with both Thai ID and passport numbers. A bank or other entity may only have your PP number, etc. Pink cards are all Thai. So,  better to include your PPN and foreign name.

When we think Thai are silly for ask for something, often they are looking for specific information, which we may not understand if we can't speak their language, then we are the silly ones. 

59 minutes ago, rabas said:

The advantage of using Passport and tabien baan is then the DL is bi-lingual with both Thai ID and passport numbers. A bank or other entity may only have your PP number, etc. Pink cards are all Thai. So,  better to include your PPN and foreign name.

When we think Thai are silly for ask for something, often they are looking for specific information, which we may not understand if we can't speak their language, then we are the silly ones. 

Are saying a DL will have both Thai ID and passport number together?

How do you know this - is this is on your DL?

There is only one kind of ID number in the DL. It cannot be the both.

When we speak the thai language we find out who the silly ones are in the government office and why not else where.

I find it very strange how so many people like to participate in this topic “Thai ID Card for Aliens” and give ways and reasons for not using it. Just like in another thread many people were convinced, and still are that their travel document should stay in the safe in their house while they travel using various copies of it. Very strange indeed.

4 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

1. Wrong. If only passport used there is no Thai name in DL only English

2. Wrong. ID-13 could have been copied from TB just as you assumed in number 1 for the thai name to be copied from TB. But that is not the case always.

Please let flexiomike to tell us what he did.

No, my name has always been in Thai and English for all licences, even using Passport ID.

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

No, my name has always been in Thai and English for all licences, even using Passport ID.

This result would make most sense if using the passport and tabien baan combination. Every DLT might not agree though. Flexomike seems to be using Klang, Rayong. The Banglamung, Chonburi, seems to be the "silliest" one we know about.

17 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

This result would make most sense if using the passport and tabien baan combination. Every DLT might not agree though. Flexomike seems to be using Klang, Rayong. The Banglamung, Chonburi, seems to be the "silliest" one we know about.

As debated previously, there is no consistency at DLT offices.

There are those who's licences are purely in English on the front, but address in Thai on the reverse, even though they had a Tabien Baan and Thai ID card.

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

As debated previously, there is no consistency at DLT offices.

There are those who's licences are purely in English on the front, but address in Thai on the reverse, even though they had a Tabien Baan and Thai ID card.

That is the way Immigration writes Residence Certificates. Address in Thai, name in English.

The information change for DL costs 5o thb extra. Maybe they wanted to save that so didn't change anything.

Edited by zhangxifu

I finally got yellow tabian baan (house book) after one month waiting at PhayaThai Bangkok. The pink ID card is a 15 minute extra wait and valid for 10 years. Not sure how useful it will be other than for buying own motorcycle or car. BUT one thing is for sure, getting this and other status items will only ever be more difficult for farangs going forward. My thinking is that if entitled, do it now to avoid frustration in the future. It is worth the effort but possibly in future it may be unattainable. Once you have it then it will not be revoked. 

Edited by soi3eddie