Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

Yes got one

Had it for a few years

Easy to get .. head man was useful in signing documents for application.

Uses:

Actually quite often used it, security guards at building instead of leaving driving licence or passport.

Used in place of certificate of Residence twice now recently.... This week to get a an official Thai International driving permit for my Thai driving licence.

Usually I get into parks and other Thai venues at Thai rate or free if over 60 where applicable. Like queen Sirikit Botanical gardens CM.

Often places say Thai only discount but this helps to get it.

If asked for passport I generally show this card first as my passport is usually in the safe and I carry a copy only.

Stopped by police at check poi ys and a quick wave of the card has even brought a salute and smile. 

Used it on internal flight.. Rules vary (Air Asia has declined it).

Shopping .. Often address needed and ID  for delivery ( used if for some sim cards makes it easy... I even bought sim cards in Malaysia using this ...  ( yes on back of driving licence I know it has address.. But not everyone drives!)

Post office require ID card or passport for postage ( usually for Thais too). Found pink card accepted without hesitation.

Local PEA office and Water company when I visit with queries it is useful to sort issues .. Established these accounts before I got a pink ID card so no idea if they would open with it.

BTS now need ID for new top up cards.. Automatically ask for passport. Showed the ID card they saw the DOB and immediately I got a senior card!   ( not sure of benefit if the senior card but got it..maybe I can use that to show and kick the farang backpacker off the special needs seat on the BTS)

opened a CIMB bank account .. But had  to  have a passport with my English printed name to have it in English name..  In Thai script no problem.

Used it in Bangkok bank  as ID when getting money exchanged.. 

Generally found it better to have than not and when shown to Thai officials. I often just get that knowing  feeling  , nod of approval or look to indicate this guy knows things and seem to have had more help than hindrance this often breaks down barriers ... 

This may not be the intended use of the cards but certainly if asked the question would I get it again the answer is yes.

also when  a yellow book is needed  this can often be used in place and this is better to keep in your wallet than  a yellow book that I keep in the safe.

So if you can get one  without hassle then  worth doing! Phew seems I use it a lot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Boon Mee said:

The Pink Card is about the most useful ID a Farang can have.

More useful than a passport? More useful than TDL? More useful than yellow book? How so?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

The Pink Card is about the most useful ID a Farang can have. It was free from my local Amphur - took about a half hour to complete. Could have been quicker but the gals there were unfamiliar with the new camera. 

Why is it useful? I've found either a copy of my passport or my Thai driving licence seems to be all the ID I need for anywhere.

• Like 2

The yellow book is the huge hurdle.

Like many things in the Thai bureaucracy, it's so variable, office to office

Some Amphurs seems to dish them out like candy...Others not so much.

I tried a couple of times, over a couple of the years and the bitch kept saying "we don't issue them to farangs"

So I just gave up.

Whether or not it made my life in Thailand any harder, well I'm skeptical about that. Maybe I could have got into National Parks cheaper.

I think I coped with that inconvenience!

Yes.

My Amphur wanted certified copy of passport from Embassy translated at MFA, then added translation of birth certificate at MFA, then added certified and translated copy of decree nisi !! , at this point I abandoned it .
The “ game “ was getting too tiresome and expensive for my liking !!

I’ve survived without it, but often wondered if it would have spared my wallet on entering National Parks ?
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What many dont realise, as above, yellow book and ID card is your name in Thai. So if you get a license using it or open a bank account using it, the name on license or account name will be in Thai script, and your ID citizen number is on your license not your passport number. The same if you book a plane ticket, if you book with name in Thai script then the checkin will want ID with name in Thai, book in English then they want a name in English ID (passport etc).

This lead to many people saying the pink ID is useless, they are trying to operate an English name bank account with a Thai name ID, check in to a flight booked in English script then want to checkin with a Thai script ID. 

I'd just correct a couple of points;

1. Thai licences are in Thai and English regardless of whether you use your Passport or ID card.

Only the ID number will differ depending which document you use.

2. Flights have to be booked in English language, so a foreigner needs to show Passport, whereas a Thai can show ID card.

Otherwise a very informative post.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

1. Thai licences are in Thai and English regardless of whether you use your Passport or ID card.

2. Flights have to be booked in English language, so a foreigner needs to show Passport, whereas a Thai can show ID card.

You can fly using a Thai Drivers License only

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

1. If you presented your passport when you applied for the Thai driving license your name will only be written in english. Maybe if you used a pink id card the name is written in Thai and english.

2. Everybody can just show their Thai driving license for domestic flights.

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I obtained one today. I visited my local Amphur first to enquire what was needed etc.

Yellow Tabien Bahn + copy

passport + copy of ID page

Visa page copy.

Returned with required documents etc and a 10 yr ID card was issued in under 10 minutes.

Cost= 85 baht. Was told next one would be for life.

Hope this acts as a guide to others but please be sure to check with your local office as what they require, as Provincial Offices can and do vary.

Chiangmai - Sansai:   same information and copies; about the same amount of time.  Mine was issued for life being I am of age.

The airlines reject it because it say not good out of Chiangmai.  I have used it everywhere an ID is required except sometimes at the bank when they want to see the passport against the account that it was opened with.  Registering a SIM card.   Can be used anywhere a certificate of residency is required.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

If you have a Thai drivers license ,you dont need a pink card .

Are you able to buy a sim card , register at Thai hospital with citizen ID number, open a bank account , with a Thai drivers licensee ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't have one since I have never been successful with getting a yellow house book that is needed to get one.

I have a dark blue 'house book' that we got when we bought the house, but it is only in GF's name. What would I need to do to acquire the yellow house book in order to get the pink ID card? I do have Thai driver's licenses, both scooter and car.

Edited by GalaxyMan

5 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I have a dark blue 'house book' that we got when we bought the house, but it is only in GF's name. What would I need to do to acquire the yellow house book in order to get the pink ID card? I do have Thai driver's licenses, both scooter and car.

Go to your local Amphur and ask. Requirements vary from Office to Office.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I have a dark blue 'house book' that we got when we bought the house, but it is only in GF's name. What would I need to do to acquire the yellow house book in order to get the pink ID card?

Go to the local Amphoe and ask what they require. Your girlfriend will have to give her permission for you to get a yellow house book based upon her blue book.

7 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Ask at Local ampher as they all have different requirements.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I have a dark blue 'house book' that we got when we bought the house, but it is only in GF's name. What would I need to do to acquire the yellow house book in order to get the pink ID card?

My farang wife and I "own" our house on usufruct, our names in Thai appear on the chanote on the last entry, the previous entry is the legal landowner, a trusted Thai friend. We have a blue book, with no name showing as resident.

We are in the frustrating process of getting a yellow book. The Amphur (Sattahip) wants to see, and copies of:-

The Chanote

The blue book

Power of Attorney from Thai owner

Signed copy of the Thai owners Id card.

Our passports, all the usual visa, extension, etc. pages

Translation of the passport pages into Thai

Names and transcriptions into Thai of our parents' full names.

Certificates of Residence, fresh, from Immigration.

Ourselves both to be present

A Thai witness who knows us personally to be present, with copies of I'd and blue book. (Any old Thai from the street won't do!)

An appointment with the boss lady is required, phone before you go. No queue!

All this has been done, last week. "All three of you to attend in two weeks time to collect the book. We will phone you."

No money asked for as yet, and we will try for pink cards immediately on getting the book.

I will post a progress report in due course.

10 days and waiting. This is our third attempt to get the yellow book, best yet, always something wrong on previous attempts, its like herding cats.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Are you able to buy a sim card , register at Thai hospital with citizen ID number, open a bank account , with a Thai drivers licensee ?

yes registered ay 3 public hospitals ,been treated at one for 4 years now , of course i could buy a sim , ,have 2 Thai bank accounts , no problems .

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

But when you go, take the following and it may be sufficient.

- passport + copies of name page and relevant visas/entries/ + exit card

- Wife and her blue book

- your driver's license - source of your name spelling in Thai

- your wife's chanote teedin, showing house ownership

- your official marriage certificate in Thai, AND its English translation

- your wife's Thai ID of course.

In general I usually take a folder of all my relevant documents, they need something else I pull it out. Sometimes their 'unreasonable' requests are because they are looking for a piece of information they need to complete a process, the document may not be on a required list, example they want to see how your name is spelled in Thai.

Good luck.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, jackdd said:

1. If you presented your passport when you applied for the Thai driving license your name will only be written in english. Maybe if you used a pink id card the name is written in Thai and english.

Maybe at your DLT.

I have yet to see a Thai DL not in both Thai and English, whether using a Passport or ID card.

I originally applied using Passport and Certificate of Residence. My name appeared in both languages.

When I renewed for the 5 year licence, I used Thai ID card and Tabien Baan, the only difference is it now has my Thai ID number.

50 minutes ago, jackdd said:

2. Everybody can just show their Thai driving license for domestic flights.

In the past I used both DL and Thai ID card for domestic flight check in, but since last year Air Asia have insisted on Passport only for foreigners.

More inconsistency throughout Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes.

My Amphur wanted certified copy of passport from Embassy translated at MFA, then added translation of birth certificate at MFA, then added certified and translated copy of decree nisi !! , at this point I abandoned it .
The “ game “ was getting too tiresome and expensive for my liking !!

I’ve survived without it, but often wondered if it would have spared my wallet on entering National Parks ?

Similar to the hoops my amphur required me to jump through as part of an unsuccessful attempt to obtain a yellow book some years ago. After jumping through them all I fell at the final fence when some eagle-eyed oik at my local amphur spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname as stated in the certified passport copy translation didn't exactly match my wife's as stated in her blue tabien bahn - at which point I simply threw in the towel.

But, reverting to the topic at hand, it strikes me that a vital piece of information which these cards don't include is the date when the holder's current permission to stay in Thailand expires. Clearly that's not possible in the case of a card that's valid for 10 years, but why on earth can't the Immigration Bureau offer us the optional extra (at additional cost, of course) of issuing us with a suitable card at annual extension time - which we could then use for ID purposes instead of our passports at banks, post offices, BIB checks, etc over the coming year? Unfortunately, this being Thailand, I'm not holding my breath for this ever coming to pass....????

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Yes. I use mine regularly. Only once had a problem at Air Asia ticket counter flying Buriram to BKK. Kid behind the counter said on back of card it says ‘can only be used in Buriram.’  I explained error in his ways   However he insisted so I showed him my driver license. After he said ok no problem I said by the way the card is issued in Buriram and the airport is in Buriram so what’s the problem?  He just couldn’t understand that logic!

So confirmation its useless without further proof of ID such as DL or PP

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

So confirmation its useless without further proof of ID such as DL or PP

For me, it's not a problem of ID, it's because he wanted to buy one ticket with a document which is not valid in the province where he wants to go ; officially, you can't use the ID card in an other province than yours ;   if you want to go in the same province, you can buy the ticket with the pink card 

it's the way I understand it, maybe I am wrong 

I have both. Easy to renew licence, buy and register vehicles, use for hotel check in, yellow book good when doing 90 day (never asked for anything else, odd occasions been let in for Thai price, to me it is well worth it. Not a hassle to get at Ladprao office.