Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

23 minutes ago, Aforek said:

For me, it's not a problem of ID, it's because he wanted to buy one ticket with a document which is not valid in the province where he wants to go ; officially, you can't use the ID card in an other province than yours ;   if you want to go in the same province, you can buy the ticket with the pink card 

it's the way I understand it, maybe I am wrong 

By the laws and regulations involved you are not wrong, except that t's not about 'within the same province', it's' 30 or 50 Km from the place of issue (earlier this morning my Thai lawyer friend agreed to call immigration (HO, Bkk) and get a clear answer about all the words on the back of the pink card, I'll post his response when I can). 

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

yes registered ay 3 public hospitals ,been treated at one for 4 years now , of course i could buy a sim , ,have 2 Thai bank accounts , no problems .

Yes, but you didnt open bank accounts or buy sims with a drivers license. These are things that you can do with a pink ID.  Your original statment about not needing a pink card if you have a license, lots of things you cant do with a license you can do with a pink ID.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

But when you go, take the following and it may be sufficient.

- passport + copies of name page and relevant visas/entries/ + exit card

- Wife and her blue book

- your driver's license - source of your name spelling in Thai

- your wife's chanote teedin, showing house ownership

- your official marriage certificate in Thai, AND its English translation

- your wife's Thai ID of course.

In general I usually take a folder of all my relevant documents, they need something else I pull it out. Sometimes their 'unreasonable' requests are because they are looking for a piece of information they need to complete a process, the document may not be on a required list, example they want to see how your name is spelled in Thai.

Good luck.

Does the house have to be paid off?

32 minutes ago, Aforek said:

For me, it's not a problem of ID, it's because he wanted to buy one ticket with a document which is not valid in the province where he wants to go ; officially, you can't use the ID card in an other province than yours ;   if you want to go in the same province, you can buy the ticket with the pink card 

it's the way I understand it, maybe I am wrong 

You dont need anything to buy a ticket, besides maybe a credit card, any ID or passport is to identify yourself at check in, its not a permission to fly or buy tickets document.

The statement on the back of the card , often misunderstood, simply means not transferable, the card is not transferable, if you move permanently to another province you get a new card at new address.

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You dont need anything to buy a ticket, besides maybe a credit card, any ID or passport is to identify yourself at check in, its not a permission to fly or buy tickets document.

The statement on the back of the card , often misunderstood, simply means not transferable, the card is not transferable, if you move permanently to another province you get a new card at new address.

Are you an advanced Thai script reader?

Yes, I have a pink ID card. Passport plus copy, plus yellow book. 60baht. Left and right thumb print, check height and out 15 minutes total. Have used once for domestic flight. Twice for clinic visit and once for hospital visit. Also used at bank with driving licence for ID. Most were surprised to see it, but didn't question.

• Like 1

Yes.  I've used it to get discounts at hospitals, national parks and as ID for hotels.  More importantly, I used the ID number on it to get a PTT Blue Card, giving occasional free drinks at Amazon coffee.

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you an advanced Thai script reader?

No, but thats how it was explained by the boss (full pseudo army uniform) when I got the pink ID. He was genuinely confused that people take it to mean cannot travel.

14 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Have used once for domestic flight.

I tried to use it on a domestic flight to Phuket and return, but they insisted, farang need passport, I said why, Thai use ID cards, I have a Thai ID card, what is the problem, and the usual reply, it is AirAsia Policy sir, oh ok good looking, thanks, we can't upset policy then can we, here is my passport Krup !

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I obtained one today. I visited my local Amphur first to enquire what was needed etc.

Yellow Tabien Bahn + copy

passposrt + copy of ID page

Visa page copy.

Returned with required documents etc and a 10 yr ID card was issued in under 10 minutes.

Cost= 85 baht. Was told next one would be for life.

Hope this acts as a guide to others but please be sure to check with your local office as to what they may require, as Provincial Offices can and do vary.

The process and cost obviously differs area to area. I got my 1st I.D. card at Bang Lamung 3 years ago, it cost me 300 baht and it has no expiry date. Apart from getting into places at the Thai price and showing it at hotel check in instead of a passport it's of very little use.

• Like 2

Just now, Geordieabroad said:

Apart from getting into places at the Thai price and showing it at hotel check in instead of a passport it's of very little use.

What has the card ever done for us?

Discounts?  Easily carried form of ID?

All right, apart from discounts and an easily carried form of ID, what has the card ever done for us?

Proof of address when obtaining a drivers licence.

All right, apart from discounts and an easily carried form of ID, and proof of address when obtaining a drivers licence, what has the card ever done for us?

I used mine at immigration recently to show where I was living.

All right.  Apart from discounts, an easily carried form of ID, proof of address when obtaining a drivers licence, and use at Immigration, what has the card ever done for us?

Help in obtaining a PTT Blue Card?

…..

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I tried to use it on a domestic flight to Phuket and return, but they insisted, farang need passport, I said why, Thai use ID cards, I have a Thai ID card, what is the problem, and the usual reply, it is AirAsia Policy sir, oh ok good looking, thanks, we can't upset policy then can we, here is my passport Krup !

Do you understand that the check in staff is looking at the screen and seeing 4myEgo written in english then looking at the pink ID and seeing 4myEgo written in Thai, it doesnt match, at best it can only match phonetically as in it sounds the same. If your name is the Sean Connery, it doesnt even sound the same. The airline staff cant make a match the name on the screen says Sean, the name on the pink ID spells Shawn phonetically in Thai.

Booking on the screen says 4myEgo in english and your photo gym membership card says 4myEgo in english, here is your boarding pass.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I have one and yes it was easy to obtain, but I also have the yellow book which is needed

for the pink card.

There was one very important thing the pink card did for me, but it was so long ago that I cannot remember, but it definitely was not an entrance fee for anything. I have never tried that.

Edited by possum1931

23 minutes ago, Geordieabroad said:

The process and cost obviously differs area to area. I got my 1st I.D. card at Bang Lamung 3 years ago, it cost me 300 baht and it has no expiry date. Apart from getting into places at the Thai price and showing it at hotel check in instead of a passport it's of very little use.

Mine was 60 baht, you were scammed.

Rather ironic if you can get in places for the Thai discount, when it has Non-Thai written on the front of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

No, but thats how it was explained by the boss (full pseudo army uniform) when I got the pink ID. He was genuinely confused that people take it to mean cannot travel.

Got to be honest this is not what has been explained to me.

One point is that the card is not designed and the words are not prepared by immigration, that's all done by the Thai interior ministry. But all of that's a side point.

When I got my pink card at the amphur office I asked a senior amphur officer (she speaks perfect English, I met her a couple of times previously when I was giving some business lectures), why the name of the holder is only in Thai script, and I asked her to please explain the words on the back of the card.

Her response, all very clear:

- 'I agree the name on the front should be in both languages, she indicated that this suggestion had been passed to the interior ministry by several agencies but no further action.

- 'The wording on the back was written specific to the original purpose of the pink card, to provide an easy to carry plastic card for hill tribe folks who have some special permission to be in and work in Thailand but with some restrictions on their travel (I forget whether it's 30 or 50 Km from the place of issue of the card).

Also, 'given the original purpose of the card (paragraph above) this is why the name is written in Thai only, an assumption by the ministry that most hilltribe people can read Thai but most cannot read English'.

Then later it was decided to issue the same card to Thai PR holders. 

This morning I spoke to my lawyer (perfect English and he has agreed to call one of his contacts to get a very clear understanding of the meaning on the back of the card.

Is there perhaps a further point; is there now another version of the card?

A question to non-Thai pink card holders; Is your name in Thai script or English script or in both? Mine is in Thai script only. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Do you understand that the check in staff is looking at the screen and seeing 4myEgo written in english then looking at the pink ID and seeing 4myEgo written in Thai, it doesnt match, at best it can only match phonetically as in it sounds the same. If your name is the Sean Connery, it doesnt even sound the same. The airline staff cant make a match the name on the screen says Sean, the name on the pink ID spells Shawn phonetically in Thai.

Booking on the screen says 4myEgo in english and your photo gym membership card says 4myEgo in english, here is your boarding pass.

Now that makes a lot of sense, thanks, never thought of that ????

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

One point is that the card is not designed and the words are not prepared by immigration, that's all done by the Thai interior ministry. But all of that's a side point.

When I got my pink card at the amphur office I asked a senior amphur officer (she speaks perfect English, I met her a couple of times previously when I was giving some business lectures), why the name of the holder is only in Thai script, and I asked her to please explain the words on the back of the card.

- 'I agree the name on the front should be in both languages, she indicated that this suggestion had been passed to the interior ministry by several agencies but no further action.

- 'The wording on the back was written specific to the original purpose of the pink card, to provide an easy to carry plastic card for hill tribe folks who have some special permission to be in and work in Thailand but with some restrictions on their travel (I forget whether it's 30 or 50 Km from the place of issue of the card).

Also, 'given the original purpose of the card (paragraph above) this is why the name is written in Thai only, an assumption by the ministry that most hilltribe people can read Thai but most cannot read English'.

This morning I spoke to my lawyer (perfect English and he has agreed to call one of his contacts to get a very clear understanding of the meaning on the back of the card.

A question to non-Thai pink card holders; Is your name in Thai script or English script or in both? Mine is in Thai script only. 

Thai script only, with one hanhom farang in the picture on the left ????

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Now that makes a lot of sense, thanks, never thought of that ????

Also true, many airline clerks at the boarding gates just give a quick glance to make an appearance of checking but in reality they have checked nothing, whether you give them a passport or a pink card or whatever. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I have to admit being given that explanation as well, and additionally, that the Amphers have been instructed to blank out the statement if its a westerner. (she didnt have an army uniform on, so less believable, lol)