Thai ID Card for "Aliens" - Do you have one?

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A question to non-Thai pink card holders; Is your name in Thai script or English script or in both? Mine is in Thai script only. 

Mine, issued yesterday, is written entirely in Thai. No English at all.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A question to non-Thai pink card holders; Is your name in Thai script or English script or in both? Mine is in Thai script only. 

Mine is in Thai Script, it matches exactly what is showing on the Yellow Book, which is probably why they are both Thai Script.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Also true, many airline clerks at the boarding gates just give a quick glance to make an appearance of checking but in reality they have checked nothing, whether you give them a passport or a pink card or whatever. 

I disagree, the woman staff look at me with awe (verb), some men too ????

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have to admit being given that explanation as well, and additionally, that the Amphers have been instructed to blank out the statement if its a westerner. (she didnt have an army uniform on, so less believable, lol)

QUOTE:  "...and additionally, that the Amphers have been instructed to blank out the statement if its a westerner. ..."  Are you saying that that there is nothing on the back of your card, it's blank?

I watched as they put my card into the special card printer, after 1 card was removed under much security from their stock of cards. The writing on the back of the card was already pre-printed / embedded into the card.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Got a pink card few years back. I already had a yellow book. No need to be married to a Thai. The only times that I have used the pink card is to obtain Thai admissions prices at museums, exhibitions, etc. I don't know whether they give me the Thai price because the pink card entitles me to it, or because they have never seen a pink card before.

Also, it's nice because it shows me about 5 cm taller than I am (they took the picture at an angle).

Other than that, I think it's quite ok to give it a miss.

Someone in an earlier post said that you could only use the pink card in your own province. But I assume going by your post, that you have used it in other provinces.

Just looks like another case of Thai authorities making up their own rules.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Someone in an earlier post said that you could only use the pink card in your own province. But I assume going by your post, that you have used it in other provinces.

Just looks like another case of Thai authorities making up their own rules.

Yes, which is why you want as much ammunition as you can get, so a simple Pink Card thats easy to carry is OK with me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

QUOTE:  "...and additionally, that the Amphers have been instructed to blank out the statement if its a westerner. ..."  Are you saying that that there is nothing on the back of your card, it's blank?

I watched as they put my card into the special card printer, after 1 card was removed under much security from their stock of cards. The writing on the back of the card was already pre-printed / embedded into the card.

My card has all the same stuff on the back. Another lady at the ampher said, as you said, the statement only applies to hill people. She then went on to say, they are supposed to put something over the statement when they laminate the card so the cannot travel statement is covered up. If issued to a westerner.

I did ask why they didnt do that, everyone laughed etc, then the big boss was called and gave me the "not transferable' explanation.

5 hours ago, roodujardin said:

Have had one for a few years now. They issued me a lifetime me card first off. 

My initial reason for getting one was the fact that the card stores your blood group. I thought this worth it alone. 

I have used the card for many things including;

- ID for domestic flights, and I've always booked online in English, no problem. 

- opening a bank a/c. 

- ordering medicine online at my doctors clinic. 

- ID for surgery at a private hospital. 

- additional ID if the cops have more than a casual interest at a check point. 

- ducking dual pricing at national parks. 

- opening an a/c at the BAAC and applying for funeral insurance. 

- useful for any ID matters, the card appears to be always excepted. 

"My initial reason for getting one was the fact that the card stores your blood group."

When I got my pink card, they never took any of my blood. Unless there is another way of getting your blood group.

5 hours ago, jayboy said:

Interesting. I have had a slightly different experience including my pink card not being accepted for a domestic flight. I therefore always have my driver's license or passport in reserve.

I think we are basically in a transition phase as officials become used to it. Looking forward I think it will become completely acceptable in years to come. In the meantime, it's sometimes more trouble than it's worth - ie the boredom of having to explain what it is to some sceptical Thai official.

Still, good to know it works when I apply for my funeral insurance.

"ie the boredom of having to explain what it is to some sceptical Thai official."

They are more happy showing their authority and sitting there in their nice uniform.

My local official in the Amphur office feigned confusion and ignorance of their existence, in spite of the fact we had printed off the guidance notes from a previous thread on this subject, then told my wife to contact him later, on his phone number of course, and he would research it and arrange everything...... 

Suffice to say we didn't bother.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My card has all the same stuff on the back. Another lady at the ampher said, as you said, the statement only applies to hill people. She then went on to say, they are supposed to put something over the statement when they laminate the card so the cannot travel statement is covered up. If issued to a westerner.

I did ask why they didnt do that, everyone laughed etc, then the big boss was called and gave me the "not transferable' explanation.

That's not really what I said; the explanation I was given is that the card was developed for hilltribe people, hence the restrictions on travel.

The card doesn't say anywhere that this 'message' (on the back) is only valid when held by hilltribe people, not does it say that 'the message' doesn't apply to any other specific groups / categories of non-Thai people e.g. foreigners. 

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why is it useful? I've found either a copy of my passport or my Thai driving licence seems to be all the ID I need for anywhere.

It depends on which office you use. This is Thailand.

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Out of interest, did Bangkok Bank want to see your passport as well, even though they used your Thai ID for the account?

Knowing how it works with banks, and the same bank have different ways of applying the same rules in different branches, and even different staff in the same branch, I'm sure it won't be applied consistently. It worked for you though.

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats sort of how it came about, I had left my passport in the car so only presented the pink ID. Also, I cant operate that account with passport (when required to change passwords etc), they want Pink ID.

It the same with a license, I used passport originally so its still passport but a mate has a license from a pink ID, name in thai and citizen number on license. Uses pink ID for renewal etc.

As you say, probably lots of variations across banks.

In theory, if you started from scratch with a pink ID, you should be able to do all the things you can do with passport, in theory, lol

NO, your theory does not work cos in most cases foreigner must prove to be in the country legally and that is what the passport is for. Many cases also require a non-imm visa etc.

It is interesting to read about the bangkok bank account in thai name. I just went to bb office yesterday to ask may I add the 13-digit number as ID cos I will not expire. I was refused and told that farangs use pp, period. Also on new accounts. A day previously I called the customer service and they told me differently. If someone got an account opened without pp must have been out in the sticks or very long time ago.

I recently opened account in SCB in thainame and 13-digit number. They did require copies of my pp and staystamp, but the account operates with the pink id data. On the second day of this process I did receive a call from the bank that they also required copy of my wife's ID thus making the other efforts here quite pointless.. But that's the life in Thailand. Every bank has their own rules and nobody is ever wrong.

• Like 1

Thai ID Card for "Aliens"

Alien primarily refers to:

• Extraterrestrial life, life which does not originate from Earth Specifically, intelligent extraterrestrial beings; see List of alleged extraterrestrial beings

• Alien (law), a person in a country who is not a national of that country

All Aliens we are, aren't we? 

Something that can act a little as an ID, not always but a valid Thai document it is, is the Workpermit and it indeed has the text Alien.

Do you have a Pink Thai ID Card ?

Yes.

Was it easy for you to obtain ?

Yes. After registering in the Yellow Book (tambien baan) and the Blue Book for my girlfriend, so she was able to register for the regional hospital/doctor scheme, and get her ID card renewed.

After seeing her walking to the corner for a photo and five minutes later she had her card. I said ' it is very easy to get a ID for her make one for me too in a joking tone' , they said '555 but  you can get one too we think' then they went and came back with a definite  'yes'.

Then I went in the corner for a flash and measurement, and all the other data they already have in their computer.

Waiting 10 minutes for one printer to be changed in the right color, not long after I got my card.

Was told   'Not many we did give out before , and you can use it for yourself. But don't use for show at the police but you can try for other things inside the province but we promisse nothing'

A few month later, when I came back to the district office, I was informed 'now you can use it as a ID everywhere as it is legally accepted, at police too, and the government has pass the memo (to the -mainstream business- ...)  to accept these cards as a valid proof of ID.'

Have you found it useful ?

Yes.

What have you used it for ?

As a proof of ID, when I want to register my phone SIM or Shopping Card and at the police station for my personal information when I had to report a lost license.

Used it for accessing the Sanam Luang in the period it was bordered and guarded for the late King, as well for other guarded places.

And I use it for my banking, I only use one ATM card and for other banks I am a walk-in customer.

This card is accepted AT the branch where you did open your account, (which is also the only branch you can go when you lost or damaged your book).  Together with the bankbook it is sufficent to take money from your account.

Other branches are not always accepting this card, and I don't blame them, because your account is opened with your passport (and eventually workpermit) so the ID number is NOT the same.

You get more change to access your account with a driving license, and this is where it goes weird your driving license also has a different ID number and in fact mine is not the same as on my passport which was renewed after I had my driving license.

If you are a regular visitor of the other branch, as I am, they accept my Thai ID for non-nationals (pink) as valid ID and they don't bother anymore with copying that as they did in the beginning.

Some branches complain, then I point to the address that is in their system and the address that is printed on the card they then mostly accept it.

In one of the 1000x I visited a branch, only one has the attidude to say angrily 'go away don't come back again, farang only passport!'.

They never saw me again, the other 999 branches smiles and services me.

My passport always stay at home.

Please give details of your experience to help others decide if there is an advantage to having one.

Ask for a card when you get your yellow house registration book. Don't push it if they are busy because it need some time for change the printer, which only IT people (are permitted to ) do.

If you already has a yellow book, take it to the district office and ask gently (or fently..) for the Thai ID card, have your phone ready with a picture of a pink card so they will understand it in a glance.

In tourist areas, or travelling far, take your passport with me you will never know which Big ABC you will meet.

Near home, or anyway in your own province (For me it is Greater Bangkok; includes Samut S&P, Phatum and Nonth) it's no problem to leave your passport at home especially when you also carry your driving license with you.

Rgds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The Pink Card is about the most useful ID a Farang can have.

Especially if they're overstaying since this won't be apparent from the info contained in the card!

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

yes registered ay 3 public hospitals ,been treated at one for 4 years now , of course i could buy a sim , ,have 2 Thai bank accounts , no problems .

Did you buy a sim and open both bank accounts using only your Thai driving licence and no other document??

The process and cost obviously differs area to area. I got my 1st I.D. card at Bang Lamung 3 years ago, it cost me 300 baht and it has no expiry date. Apart from getting into places at the Thai price and showing it at hotel check in instead of a passport it's of very little use.
I use my Thai driving licence ,always get Thai price,except for the first time at floating market in years had to pay just before leaving went and got a lifetime vip free pass

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, rabas said:

I think the alien registration act is about the pink card and not related to the yellow tabien baan. It also appears to be mandatory (!) at least in the 1950 act here:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Alien_Registration_Act,_B.E._2493_(1950).pdf

The yellow tabien baan is more associated with foreigners buying a condo and living in them, and also associated with marriage in so far as you may be living with your wife. Example I have a condo and have been married a long time. We live in the condo along with some nieces (wife's family is 90% female for 3 generations). I have a yellow tabien baan where I am registered as master of the house. My wife has a blue tabien baan for the same address, she his house master and our nieces are registered in her blue tabian baan.

I did get a pink ID card just last week at the samnakngan khet Laksi, where I live. It was easy as I've had the yellow tabien ban. Also needed my passport and they wanted my wife's blue tabian ban which I did not bring. They then allowed me to use my chanote teedin instead. They also required a Thai witness, which in this case was my wife.

The yellow tabien ban is useful and convenient for may things but not necessary. 

You are jaoban, and your wife is jaoban, in the same address in two different books?? That is a mistake. I am pretty sure only the latest update is valid. Sometimes the data in the housebook has not been updated even everything is fine in the computer database.

47 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Mine, issued yesterday, is written entirely in Thai. No English at all.

So is mine, now I am wondering if my card has an expiry date as I cannot read Thai.

I thought the card was for good, then again it will probably depend on which office gave you it.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Maybe at your DLT.

I have yet to see a Thai DL not in both Thai and English, whether using a Passport or ID card.

A few random images from Google:

images-4.jpeg.b9c23a436cf981b0c50c3292c5de946a.jpegIMG_2822.jpg.a28d61cd6a8ea2cfdf58b7159fc2292c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg.2ddd425cbdc15011dd11876ced047209.jpgthaidrivinglicense.jpg.4756370aed78e911e6c18247db2c3dac.jpg

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I originally applied using Passport and Certificate of Residence. My name appeared in both languages. 

Where did they get the transliteration of your name from? Afaik this has to come from a certified translator and is not made by the person at the government office.

• Like 1