Why the Chinese are infinitely more important than Western tourists to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

If someone has half Chinese blood but has a Western passport, does that make that person more important & higher class than Westerners or do they sit ranking in between the Chinese & Westerners? ????????

I don't think Thailand is the place to be looking for Western class. There's precious little of it left in the world anyway.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Traubert said:

1. Since the anti-corruption campaign started in China, a lot of five star hotels are trying to downgrade to 4 star as staying 5 star is seen as decadent. Doesn't pay to be a tall poppy in China.

2. Wine is relatively new to the Chinese market. It was largely unavailable 15 years ago. China hasn't suddenly developed a discerning palate. Bai Jiu is still a massive seller and it's like paint stripper but tastes worse. They knock it back by the bucketful.

3. They claim the tax back

4. Have you tried finding a copper in China?

5. It's exactly the same in China. No-one had a car 10 years ago, now there's 330m privately owned cars on China's roads. I suspect not all of those drivers were formally taught to drive.

6. Air quality is awful in the north east and parts of the east coast, but only 15% of the population live there. Half of China is sub-tropical.

3. U can't claim the luxury tax back, only the sales tax which is 7%. And well you would have to tax it again when importing in china...

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

3. U can't claim the luxury tax back, only the sales tax which is 7%. And well you would have to tax it again when importing in china...

If you declare it yes. However as most of these items are made in China and labelled as such they don't come under scrutiny.

I think I've posted this about five times already. QA for export is much higher standard than domestic QA. Foreign brands made in China are subject to import tax even though they never leave China. Luxury tax and 7% discount taken into consideration it's still much cheaper than buying in China.

Point being that Chinese tourists do go on spending sprees. Particularly in King Power Pattaya where there is indeed an all you can eat buffet.

With shrimps.

13 hours ago, Traubert said:

If you declare it yes. However as most of these items are made in China and labelled as such they don't come under scrutiny.

I think I've posted this about five times already. QA for export is much higher standard than domestic QA. Foreign brands made in China are subject to import tax even though they never leave China. Luxury tax and 7% discount taken into consideration it's still much cheaper than buying in China.

Point being that Chinese tourists do go on spending sprees. Particularly in King Power Pattaya where there is indeed an all you can eat buffet.

With shrimps.

Lol is there really a free buffet at King Power Pattaya for anyone to come and enjoy? lol

How about the spread of pop culture? What have the Chinese spread culturally other than their love of pursuing monies? Not once yet have i heard any Thai smash out a Chinese song at the karaoke or listened to a Thai talk about their favourite Chinese movie or TV show. Never has a Thai talked in length about their favourite Chinese football team. This is why the junta is chasing the Chinese tourist dollar and long term Chinese immigrant as they know that the Chinese will drain them dry of every last baht but the Chinese will never question power as they are just as brain washed as the Thais.

1 hour ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

How about the spread of pop culture? What have the Chinese spread culturally other than their love of pursuing monies? 

The movies where they throw cutlery and float in the air, seems to be a whole genre.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, Sealbash said:

Chinese seem to have done well after taking over SINGAPORE.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Only because they had a strong man that didn't put up with any BS. Without him the place would have been just another <deleted> <deleted>.

Also, the Brits left an excellent port infrastructure for them to take over.

7 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Lol is there really a free buffet at King Power Pattaya for anyone to come and enjoy? lol

No it's not free, but it is all you can eat. I've only been up there once, you can fill up on the free food samples around the store, but I think the buffet was 178BHT if my memory serves.

6 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

How about the spread of pop culture? What have the Chinese spread culturally other than their love of pursuing monies? Not once yet have i heard any Thai smash out a Chinese song at the karaoke or listened to a Thai talk about their favourite Chinese movie or TV show. Never has a Thai talked in length about their favourite Chinese football team. This is why the junta is chasing the Chinese tourist dollar and long term Chinese immigrant as they know that the Chinese will drain them dry of every last baht but the Chinese will never question power as they are just as brain washed as the Thais.

Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Fan Bing Bing, Ang Lee, John Woo, Stephen Chow, in the film industry.

Han Hong, Andy Lau, Jay Chou, Teresa Teng in pop music.

Thailand play China regularly at football in the Oceanic groups and Asian Cups, both internationally and at club level.

Name me a city where you cant find Chinese food?

I don't need to google anything about Thailand as I stated I have been around and in Thailand for almost 50 years. I can guarantee I have seen the good; the bad; and the ugly among  both foreigners and locals.
You seem to think all of 'old' people are poor; lie and cheat; sit in bars all days and are generally people of ill repute.

Actually what I see is much different- I see most of the Foreign elderly as well to do; living quiet lives;  interested in the theatre or Arts and those who are married  taking care of Thai children sired by runaway Thai fathers and assisting other  extended family members.

Some of us do sometimes stop in our local pub to have  some conversation; enjoy a meal or have a beverage.  i didn't know that was against the law or caused a stir  from anyone. The majority of people I see interacting with the local population are polite; respectful and simply live and let live.

You obviously  have a very low opinion of Westerners.  While I have seen many Westerners drunk;  bar girls in tow; and generally make a fool of themselves- it is a minority and usually in places such as Pattaya or Phuket which seem to welcome this type of behavior.  

I don't stereotype someone because of their age; skin color; ethnic background or anything else. You might try the same- it makes life much more livable.

Excellent reply, took the words right out of my mouth
Cue smart comments about Meatloaf lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Regardless of what you read, almost no one speaks English in China, even in hotels. Once you leave the airport, you're largely on your own. Maybe that's why there are few independent travelers there...

Rubbish, I have travel to Shanghai on many occasions for work and the staff at the hotel I stay in ( Radison Blu) all speak English although some speak better then others
My Chinese colleagues who work for the Chinese subsidiary of the European company I work for all speak English

33 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Fan Bing Bing, Ang Lee, John Woo, Stephen Chow, in the film industry.

Han Hong, Andy Lau, Jay Chou, Teresa Teng in pop music.

Aren't those Hong Kongers? Born when it was still a British colony?

There are popular culture references, sure, but banned in China, I quite like this one:

_96969502_78b75efc-37fe-449f-944e-0fa308

On 4/24/2019 at 5:23 PM, Wilsonandson said:

Will this lead to Manadrin becoming the prefered 2nd language in Thailand?

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Considering that many Thai are actually of Chinese decent (recently, not 1000 years ago) Mandarin is already prominent. Considering that most Thai speak 3 or 4 languages, your post makes no sense anyway.

Rubbish, I have travel to Shanghai on many occasions for work and the staff at the hotel I stay in ( Radison Blu) all speak English although some speak better then others
My Chinese colleagues who work for the Chinese subsidiary of the European company I work for all speak English

Rubbish...

I work in IT and even there most programmers actually don't speak any English. I don't even know how they program as every programming language is based on English somehow.
But that explains the quality i guess...

Just because hotel staff speaks English doesn't mean anything lol...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

It means staff speak your language,that’s good ? No?

It means staff speak your language,that’s good ? No?
Staff of western hotel chains.... How helpful, they do everywhere...
You are out of luck if you leave Shanghai and go to places like Wuhan.

South Korea is another such place...

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Rubbish...

I work in IT and even there most programmers actually don't speak any English. I don't even know how they program as every programming language is based on English somehow.
But that explains the quality i guess...

Honestly, a programmer does not need to speak english. A person working in sales to tourists, needs/does. So take your rubbish out.

Honestly, a programmer does not need to speak english. A person working in sales to tourists, needs/does. So take your rubbish out.
Yeah because source code should not be documented thoroughly in english right, yeez...and because documentation from. Pretty much every software project is not in English....

Same for engineering, it's english. Thai engineers document in English, Germans do, French do, Indians anyway - it is and will be English and nothing else.

We are just saying most Chinese don't speak English in China and just because your Western Hotel chain does, doesn't mean chinese are proficient in English....

Not sure what you can't understand there.

20 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Right. The Brits can take the credit for Singapore’s successes

Dam decent of you to recognise this fact ???? 

As previously stated having the largest, busiest & most efficient port in the world, ideally positioned for far east trade, was also a help.

LKY, higher education was off course in "Brit" land, so he was well versed in making money at the expense of the less fortunate.

30 minutes ago, CGW said:

LKY, higher education was off course in "Brit" land, so he was well versed in making money at the expense of the less fortunate.

A lot of SEA leaders are and were educated in west. Not surprising as most of the area was still wilderness only 60y ago. The homegrown despots are starting to emerge now that colonies are gone. Downhill.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, ZeVonderBearz said:

Do you really think manipulative Hollywood Movies and degenerate Pop Music is something to be proud Of ?

1 minute ago, Karlsson said:

I do not understand Why People here care so much ? What do i care what other Tourists spend in their Holidays and where they come from.

Because you will be in the middle of them. A big factor in holiday atmosphere. Not many would think to compare Bangkok with Moscow or Beijing or Mumbai, but that's what you'll get at tourist spots. Not the little Stockholm or Berlin it was a decade ago.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Because you will be in the middle of them. A big factor in holiday atmosphere. Not many would think to compare Bangkok with Moscow or Beijing or Mumbai, but that's what you'll get at tourist spots. Not the little Stockholm or Berlin it was a decade ago.

thats True. i prefer to be with People of European Stock aswell, which will soon not even be possible in most of our Home Countries. But why this Discussions about who spends how Much and all that economic Dick measuring in here between Countries ?

19 hours ago, Enki said:

Considering that many Thai are actually of Chinese decent (recently, not 1000 years ago) Mandarin is already prominent. Considering that most Thai speak 3 or 4 languages, your post makes no sense anyway.

For the very few who still speak some Chinese language, it will rather be Teochew or another Southern Chinese language, not Mandarin.

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Aren't those Hong Kongers? Born when it was still a British colony?

There are popular culture references, sure, but banned in China, I quite like this one:

_96969502_78b75efc-37fe-449f-944e-0fa308

Not banned in China.

Neither is the letter 'n' as was reported in the ludicrous western press where you obviously get all your information.

Hong Kong people are Chinese. I don't think Fatty Pang fathered any of them.

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yeah because source code should not be documented thoroughly in english right, yeez...and because documentation from. Pretty much every software project is not in English....

Same for engineering, it's english. Thai engineers document in English, Germans do, French do, Indians anyway - it is and will be English and nothing else.

We are just saying most Chinese don't speak English in China and just because your Western Hotel chain does, doesn't mean chinese are proficient in English....

Not sure what you can't understand there.

Source code is usually documented in the language of the programmer ... it does not make any sense to use a foreign language to describe "... die Geschäftslogik der Netzbetreiber bezüglich Reserveenergie und Ausgleichsenergie speziell, wenn es um Bilanzkreise geht, und Ausgleichsenergie ein rein mathematisches Konstrukt ist ...". 

Good luck to get an english translation for that, which a spanish, german, polish or indian programmer understands. I bet a month wage you can not even find an english translation: you can understand.  

> Same for engineering, it's english.

No it isn't. Engineering documents are always first in the language it is aimed for. Why the funk would a german write an engineering document in english when he never intends to work on it internationally? French ... hahaha ...

BTW: pretending you are either an engineer or a programmer when you clearly are not makes no sense ... just saying.

5 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

LOL absolute and unadulterated nonsense.

Nonsense? You seem to be not very well educated.

My wife speaks "high Thai", "Isaan Dialect" (which is its own language), Lao and English. My ex GF speaks Chinese, "high Thai", English, Lao and "northern Thai Dialect" (which is considered its own language).

Basically every Thai speaks "high Thai", his local language and the neighbouring countries language, may it be Cambodia, Burma or Laos.

That means: nearly every Thai already speaks 2 or 3 languages ... if they speak english or chinese, or even both it is 1 or 2 more languages ... (and in my wifes family: everyone at least speaks 2 or 3 languages)

How many do you speak? I have to admit my Thai is poor and I only speak german and english fluently, and can not even speak my local german dialect (which is not considered its own language, in case you wonder) However I can read and understand French, Spanish, Italian and Japanese ????

Archived