Why the Chinese are infinitely more important than Western tourists to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Westerners are a low level, low priority thing of the past.  In 10 years there will be very very few.

Only if Thailand continues to become more expensive & dangerous.

Expats are certainly not coming here in numbers anymore.

Noise is worse than pollution IMHO.

The quality of life has been declining rapidly since the army took over.

Looks like they're not leaving either.

Disaster.

8 minutes ago, 0815 said:

Go to one of the big shopping malls (like Central Festival in Chiang Mai) and you will see where their money goes...

Like emquartier? 

I life nex to it, can't see any rich chinese. 

Mostly western, arabs and thai hisos. 

Same in thong lor lol

Business partner has shops in icon siam, central world and co. Not many chinese customers either... 

16 hours ago, Kasane said:

Well, that's another nail in the coffin for low income, bar stool dwellers, old farangs whose days of faking income through false affidavits is coming to a close as Thailand understands that the Chinese are actually bringing in more wealth than the Western expats who have already been priced out of their countries.

You seem to have some type of ageism problem.  Please present your evidence that elderly  long stay  expats have lied about their income; have committed crimes ; and have become a burden to the Thai State. 

I also do not know anyone who cannot meet the financial requirements as set currently.  Many of us do not like the bureaucracy of the current police order; nor the fact that our Embassies  refuse to work with Thai Immigration on income verification but we can meet the retirements some of us quite easily.

In addition- there is a number of Westerners who plan on leaving Thailand  as they do not want to be placed in a position where following the Immigration law becomes a full time job watching dates and amounts of money in the bank at certain times.  They also have the income but  just don't want to waste their time or energy on the bureaucracy.

I have been coming to Thailand for almost 50 years; married to a Thai; and now a long stay expat- I have had every type of Visa there is except the O-X and Residence Permit.  I have never lied about income- always obtained extensions without issue- obtained Embassy Letters with truthful statements.   I know of no one in all the years I have been here who have  falsified anything.

The Chinese  have a population of well over a billion people and are within a short plane trip from their country so I don't need to be an expert in travel to figure out that they would come to Thailand as a primary choice.

People from the North and South American continent have to travel 20-25 hours to reach Thailand. Moist Americans don't come here as places like mexico; Costa Rica and South America are closer.

Europeans are more travel conscious and they have been coming to Thailand for ages. However, Europeans have decided that there are other places they would rather visit for reasons that have been discussed many times before.

If you can speak some Thai- ask any Bangkok Hotel Manager;  Taxi Driver or restaurant owner who they  prefer to have as a customer because of their spending patterns and respect for Thai culture.  It won't be the Chinese- as the monies the Chinese spend go to a very limited demographic- mostly affiliated in some way with China.

While it is true that an exodus of Westerners will not have a huge impact on the overall Thai  balance of payments- the exodus if it actually occurs will be felt in such places  with large concentration of Westerners such as Chang Mai; Phuket; Pattaya; Bangkok and Udorn.  These type of long stay foreigners will NOT be replaced by long stay Chinese who tend to return home after a few weeks.

Instead- what we will see are Chinese investors purchasing Condo's; forming companies to purchase land and reaping profits on turn over; rents; or other types of business- all dedicated to their own countrymen. The majority of these operations will repatriate funds to China and only marginally benefit Thais and those will be already wealthy Thais.

Short term players will  welcome the Chinese incursion but the long term strategist will try and win back Western tourism; Western expats and be wary of Chinese expansionism through mass tourism.

16 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Unlike Western tourists, they don't usually patronize small, local shops, smaller guesthouses or local restaurants.  Consequently, even though they spend more money, much, if not most of their money goes to foreign companies and their wealthy Thai partners.  A relatively small portion of their spending goes directly to local merchants and local SME businesses. 

The tourists that benefit Thai SMEs the most are actually the much-maligned backpackers!

It a fair point but the Chinese pay into the businesses that pay taxes so that even as the backpackers may be helping the general economy to a greater extent they are contributing less to the bureaucracy and its the bureaucrats that make the rules.  :S

15 hours ago, DLock said:

They come for 1 or 2 weeks, spend more than western tourists, they don't make trouble, and they go home again, all orderly and well dressed.

Compare that to the image of western tourists, and you can see why we have become somewhat less desirable.

Do Westerners defecate on the BTS or in the airport waiting lounges? Do Westerners turn the Wats they visit into giant toilets? Do Westerners befoul the beaches with so many people it's standing room only. And do Westerners turn restaurants and cafes into filthy no-go areas with the skeletal food remnants looking like Cannae after Hannibal passed through?

There is more to the economy than tourism.  tourist might spend more versus the European tourists, they are missing one important fact, they dont to factor in  EX PAT contributions. (those who live here full time, (ok this is about TOURISM) but they never come up with stats as to our input ,into the Thai economy, per year, i bet its a dam sight more than a 2 week spending  Chinese tourist, my spends are well over 1-5 milion baht per year, and dont forget the 400,000 in a Thai bank doing S.F.A. is there are figure for long time ex pats, i have never seen one ??. 

2 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

There is more to the economy than tourism.  tourist might spend more versus the European tourists, they are missing one important fact, they dont to factor in  EX PAT contributions. (those who live here full time, (ok this is about TOURISM) but they never come up with stats as to our input ,into the Thai economy, per year, i bet its a dam sight more than a 2 week spending  Chinese tourist, my spends are well over 1-5 milion baht per year, and dont forget the 400,000 in a Thai bank doing S.F.A. is there are figure for long time ex pats, i have never seen one ??. 

Too small to record when considering 80 million Chinese at 2 weeks each. 

17 hours ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Another humbling graphic (only 20 years away):

54c2c4aa-c0fb-4303-8edb-8d6d744ed2b9.jpg

That looks like a PPP GPD chart instead of a nominal GDP chart. As of 2018 the US GPD is still fairly higher than the Chinese GDP.

The "expert" who has drawn that chart to 2040 has probably not looked at the awful demographics of China. Growth will slow dramatically.

16 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

The smart move is to accept that it will be China's world soon that the rest of us will be living in. And prepare accordingly.

A few phrases like

How are you? Yes, master. No, master. As you desire.

in Mandarin should be good.

But, seriously, I walk by King Power on Soi Rangam, which is Chinese tourists ground 0, every day and some of their women are majorly bangable. Prying them loose from their tour group is another matter but that's where language skills would help.

Exactly, there is massive money to be made off the Chinese here as a foreigner with a business.

I can personally attest to witnessing this change as I and my wife have several stem cell and anti-aging clinics throughout Thailand. Europeans come to Thailand still looking for Dollar Store prices and 50 cent beers like Thailand is still some third world dump that they heard about after watching the movie The Beach with Leonardo Di Caprio.

While the Chinese come to Thailand and are dropping $50k USD on stem cell treatment like it’s water to waste and another $50k on fun after the stem cell because they are now feeling superhuman.

The idea of a Westerner dropping $50k USD on anti-aging is laughable at best. I’d be hard pressed to get any American or European friends ( rich by Western standards ) to spend $3k USD which is my wife’s absolute minimum discounted price for stem cell treatment.

Bottom line is we just aren’t rich enough anymore ( well, I am, all thanks to Chinese tourists )  to compete with the Chinese tourist and we look poor and stingy in comparison. So the Thais have lost interest in us.

But if you have business in Thailand, you learn to love the Chinese tourist. China is building hi-speed rails that will connect China and Thailand and well, Thailand’s projection of 100 million tourists by 2030 is probably an underestimate. I would expect closer to 300 million tourists / year. 

The world is getting smaller and smaller thanks to technology ( singularity by 20240 ) and we are just at the very beginning of the gold rush that is Southeast Asia. Getting set up in Southeast Asia right now is like setting up shop during the California Gold Rush. You’re gonna get stupid rich no matter what business you’re in: We haven’t  seen anything yet my friend. There is stupid money to be made in Thailand and Asia in general. Stupid money. Like one of my wife’s Chinese patients just donated his yacht in Phuket to her clinic. Why? Because he doesn’t use it and was thankful that she made him feel younger and better. The yacht is worth well over 30 million baht but that was nothing for this guy. Chump change.

Archived