BANGKOK 19 June 2019 18:20
Jonathan Fairfield

Why the Chinese are infinitely more important than Western tourists to Thailand

The article is from January 2018. Did the number of Chinese passport holders go up to 15% at least?

As mentioned, tourist arrival figures are largely meaningless as a retired expat who lives here permanently and supports a house and car and family counts for exactly the same as a Chinaman who is just here for a weekend on a zero-dollar tour.

What is really important is the total spend per tourist, and what they spend it on. But I wonder how many Thais understand that?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

Ah, making fun are we?

When the bar stoolers waddle home who. pray tell, will support the Isaan women, those that not like Thai man because too much butterfly, I only give money my bluther, him good heart take care me when you not here?

And their family, the village lao khao industry, the friendly neighborhood layabouts, ...

They're a resourceful bunch - they'll find a way to replace that 200 baht a day allowance so often bragged about by the slave owners on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

The Chinese here are as far I see not hiso. Those folk go to Paris and London and the like.

In any case, the battle's on Ben. I shall lure them with durian, sweet talk them in Mandarin and show them 5 inches more than they ever thought possible. What you got?

It would need to get to below zero here for your 5 inches to come close to winning - I also have a humungous waving one armed Faberge designer cat !!

I would bring out their cheeky side by reminding them if they were my big toe I would bang them on every piece of furniture !!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

You are not serious are you?

10 million 7-day $150/day tourists vs. a couple of hundred thousand English teachers/pensioners their butt bones clanging as they run to catch the bus to their next assignment or the IMO?

'butt bones clanging' !! lolololol

I don't think I've ever left here not feeling suicidal however that comment has just changed all that ! Superb 

• Like 1