BANGKOK 18 June 2019 03:48
Jonathan Fairfield

Why the Chinese are infinitely more important than Western tourists to Thailand

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

LoS the land of missed opportunities due to greed and xenophobia.

and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

LOS, land of lost opportunities.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2019 at 3:56 AM, Thaidream said:

While it is true that an exodus of Westerners will not have a huge impact on the overall Thai  balance of payments- the exodus if it actually occurs will be felt in such places  with large concentration of Westerners such as Chang Mai; Phuket; Pattaya; Bangkok and Udorn.  These type of long stay foreigners will NOT be replaced by long stay Chinese who tend to return home after a few weeks.

Pop down to CM immigration and ask the officials which country is applying for over 50% of long stay and retirement visa's. Its Chinese. I asked when doing my extension just 2 months ago. My local coffee shop is often occupied by middle class chinese kids having private tuition in English by a young english speaking teacher. Credit to them, their English at age 10 is much much better than your average Thai Uni grad. I know Koreans who bring their kids to Thailand for an international school education. I would guess the chinese are now following. The East Asians put a high value on a good education.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peterbilt said:

Well, a chinese style surveillance is still not existing where I live. But I have to admit that this may be one of the "wet dreams" of european governments. Of course all for democracy to fight back international terrorism.....
But at the moment China is #1 when it comes to surveillance. (But Thailand is trying very hard to catch up...... )

How is China's surveillance No1 when it comes to expats?

On 4/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, Thaidream said:

4.  China is not a country which endears itself to other populations due to it's lack of understanding local customs and it's lack of  manners-  Eventually the welcome wears off.

5.  China and the US are destined to become entangled in a war most likely over China's attempt to recover Taiwan and China's encroachment into the South China Sea. America will win and the Chinese economy will be destroyed.  

6.  Thailand will at some point move away from China once it realizes that it's sovereignty and it's culture is threatened. In addition- with the large scale Japanese investment in Thailand- the Thais cannot risk losing this source of investment and the Japanese see china as a Worldwide threat.

I do not share your enthusiasm for the Chinese because I still believe the major player in South East Asia will be the Japanese; The US; Australia and  Europe.

You're funny but 4,5&6 are funniest of all.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/25/2019 at 1:29 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

The reselling stuff btw is because many luxury brands refuse to set up shops in china. Due to fakes, local business restrictions etc.

Many Chinese buy hermes bags for example just to resell them in china.

They artificially limit the amount of products/country for price gauging reasons...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that is incorrect. The ever increasing number of malls in China are wall to wall worldwide luxury brands. The problem is their products, being foreign brands,  are subject to import tax which is huge, even though the products are made in China. It's one of Trump's big beefs and one of the causes of his ridiculous tariffs.

Chinese people could buy your Hermes bag at retail in Thailand and still undercut the shop price in China by a large margin because of the import tax. The only way round this is to open a JV Enterprise 51% owned by a Chinese company, which is another one of Trump's beefs. I believe the same is true to an extent in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

And infinitely more dangerous. The big plus about Western tourists is that they're here to have a good time, their chances of taking over the country are something between 0% and zero. History is repeating itself. Why do you think you can't own land or get citizenship, and it's nothing to do with your status as a Farang.

Chinese seem to have done well after taking over SINGAPORE.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Nobody cares about what Thailand values, it changes as soon as a baht note is shown, they just don't want to live in a sardine can full of Chinese with zero manners and on a mission to expand the commie empire. In other words, Chinese and Westerners don't mix. 

Hello Mr McCarthy. Have you apologized for ruining all those careers with your shameless lies yet?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Chinese seem to have done well after taking over SINGAPORE.

Beg your pardon Sir. There is no Chinese invasion taking over Singapore. You confuse yourself with Chinese settlers in the 19th and early 20th century escaping famine and looking for a better life. What Singapore has are Singaporean of Chinese descent vastly different from mainland Chinese. 

4 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Alipay, WeChat - That’s for the poor people - the rich Chinese avoid it like the plaque - because every transaction can - and very likely -is being traced by the Chinese government.

Every repressive government in the world is trying to push their citizens towards a cashless society for total control over your finances!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, they are used by the 850m people who have smart phones. Rich Chinese don't have smart phones?

I don't doubt you're correct on the transactions being monitored. There's been a huge anti-corruption campaign running very successfully for the last six years.

Also rich Chinese visit the dentist a lot. That's how they avoid plaque.

• Haha 1

Beg your pardon Sir. There is no Chinese invasion taking over Singapore. You confuse yourself with Chinese settlers in the 19th and early 20th century escaping famine and looking for a better life. What Singapore has are Singaporean of Chinese descent vastly different from mainland Chinese. 

Unlike the Chinese today who are looking to escape a repressive government and make a better life?

On 4/24/2019 at 8:43 PM, Puchaiyank said:

Lets face it...the Chinese are on the move...strong economy and growing middle class...strong military and currency...they are poised to dominate the world...and to that end they have been quietly cultivating relationships across Asia, Africa, and South America...promising people jobs to help them remove their country's natural resources...

They have modern infrastructure and technology...they are patiently creating their new Chinese empire...

That's true so the real question is How do we destroy them?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Unlike the Chinese today who are looking to escape a repressive government and make a better life?

Except all those Chinese in Thailand that everyone is bitching about who happily go back to China after four days (apparently) carrying a ton of goodies that they just spent their food coupons on?

• Like 1

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed. 

Troll posts and replies have been removed. 

1 hour ago, Sealbash said:

They now have a good life and want more in their travels and showing off their purchases and happy to be back home. Perhaps you talking about early Mao days or even earlier.

The figures mean zilch unless they are corelated with  length of stay. If westerners stay at least twice as long ( and I am confident they do) then they spend more overall per head.