BANGKOK 21 June 2019 06:09
Jonathan Fairfield

Why the Chinese are infinitely more important than Western tourists to Thailand

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

It would need to get to below zero here for your 5 inches to come close to winning - I also have a humungous waving one armed Faberge designer cat !!

I would bring out their cheeky side by reminding them if they were my big toe I would bang them on every piece of furniture !!

Watch it, them's fighting words, Ben.

I meant 5 inches more than the 3 they are used to.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bang Bang said:

Now, Suvarnabhumi I can sit at a coffee shop and there's a 5 min. gap between sightings of Westerners in a place milling with brown/yellow skin tone.

I got that impression at CW the other day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That’s true Look around at the 7/11 or at the big c..

White guys with only  2 Leo beer cans and some deodorant. Chinese usually with  2 or 3 baskets totally full with stuff.

However i do think Chinese like visiting Thailand because they can see many farangs here but if we are all getting forced out of Thailand then Thailand looses its farang feature thus dissatisfied Chinese😃

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

It may be the sheer numbers allow what are currently SME mom n pop businesses to scale up to a size whereby they are attractive to big business.

5 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

White guys with only  2 Leo beer cans and some deodorant. Chinese usually with  2 or 3 baskets totally full with stuff.

However i do think Chinese like visiting Thailand because they can see many farangs here but if we are all getting forced out of Thailand then Thailand looses its farang feature thus dissatisfied Chinese😃

Leo drinkers eh ? Deodorant ? You sure ?

The Chinese are TAT dream tourists.

They come for 1 or 2 weeks, spend more than western tourists, they don't make trouble, and they go home again, all orderly and well dressed.

Compare that to the image of western tourists, and you can see why we have become somewhat less desirable.

...and the tourist migration has only just begun. Tourism and hospitality sector can clearly see the writing on the wall. If I was in that sector I'd either cater for Chinese, or I'd cater exclusively for western tourism...but trying to cater to all tourists will fail. Pick a side.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I can honestly say in all the years I've either been visiting or living here I have never had a Chinese gawp at me ? - Bizarre !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DLock said:

The Chinese are TAT dream tourists.

They come for 1 or 2 weeks, spend more than western tourists, they don't make trouble, and they go home again, all orderly and well dressed.

Compare that to the image of western tourists, and you can see why we have become somewhat less desirable.

...and the tourist migration has only just begun. Tourism and hospitality sector can clearly see the writing on the wall. If I was in that sector I'd either cater for Chinese, or I'd cater exclusively for western tourism...but trying to cater to all tourists will fail. Pick a side.

According to the TAT, they don't.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DLock said:

If I was in that sector I'd either cater for Chinese, or I'd cater exclusively for western tourism...but trying to cater to all tourists will fail. Pick a side.

I believe some are trying to straddle the two by offering separate areas for the Chinese to eat in. Presumably they find our eating habits overly refined.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

According to the TAT, they don't.

Did you read the article?

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I can honestly say in all the years I've either been visiting or living here I have never had a Chinese gawp at me ? - Bizarre !

Hmmmm before i reply this i first need see ur real profile picture.

9 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Leo drinkers eh ? Deodorant ? You sure ?

Yes Leo beer purchases am sure about but deodorant purchases by farangs am not completely sure.