Does negative posting cause expats to leave or not come to Thailand

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people have sufficient intelligence in most cases to sift out the good from the bad and draw a conclusion based on facts and not what may amount to "gossip" or hearsay.

It may contribute in one direction or another but I doubt it would be the only or definitive source, dependent on the actual topic or subject concerned.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think people have sufficient intelligence in most cases to sift out the good from the bad and draw a conclusion based on facts and not what may amount to "gossip" or hearsay.

It may contribute in one direction or another but I doubt it would be the only or definitive source, dependent on the actual topic or subject concerned.

I wonder why no one in the American Justice department has made that point.  By the way I agree with you.  Same things have happened here with the false rumors/news about Insurance requirements and stopping Farang from getting married and so on. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

I wonder why no one in the American Justice department has made that point.  By the way I agree with you.  Same things have happened here with the false rumors/news about Insurance requirements and stopping Farang from getting married and so on. 

Yes, and you also have to add in to the mix ,where Thailand is concerned, the variation in rules, interpretation and there application etc from province to province and even within the same the office dependent on who you see.

Rarely any consistency in many subjects, Banking, Immigration and local Government as an example. You have to pin it down to your specific office and not as a"standard" practice in many cases.(IMHO)

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Yes, and you also have to add in to the mix ,where Thailand is concerned, the variation in rules, interpretation and there application etc from province to province and even within the same the office dependent on who you see.

Rarely any consistency in many subjects, Banking, Immigration and local Government as an example. You have to pin it down to your specific office and not as a"standard" practice in many cases.(IMHO)

Ya I agree.  There is little consistency anywhere in the world and in most places justice is dependent on how much money you have.  OJ, "If it doesn't fit you must acquit." 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you looked at the threads about boat safety and jet skis?

So come anyway and don't rent a jet ski, easy peasy.

The negative PR about the boat sinking in Phuket was well deserved. Of course such news has a negative influence. It should. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So come anyway and don't rent a jet ski, easy peasy.

The negative PR about the boat sinking in Phuket was well deserved. Of course such news has a negative influence. It should. 

The topic has nothing to do with truth.  Please confine your answers to the topic.  Negative posting - does it causes people to leave or not come.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

The topic has nothing to do with truth.  Please confine your answers to the topic.  Negative posting - does it causes people to leave or not come.

The topic has nothing to do with truth?

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Thanks for that. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The topic has nothing to do with truth?

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Thanks for that. 

I watch CNN seems normal to me.  News casts are becoming more like social media even using comedy shows as news sources daily.

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I watch CNN seems normal to me.  News casts are becoming more like social media even using comedy shows as news sources daily.

Yes those White House briefings are comedy gold.

As for the original question my initial thought was no, people have more sense, then I had second thoughts.

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

On Thai Visa? Absolutely not. You'd have to be deranged to take anything you read on TV with anything but a very large pinch of salt. Keyboard warrior central. I use TV for my personal amusement only.

The only medium that has the power to influence others as to their choice to come to Thailand or not, and then only tourists, are some British tabloids such as the Sun who regularly churn out highly sensationalised stories about Thailand.

Is that a bad thing or not? Some would argue that dissuading a bunch of shaven headed, tattooed Sun readers from visiting Thailand is a net positive.

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Yes those White House briefings are comedy gold.

As for the original question my initial thought was no, people have more sense, then I had second thoughts..

I agree.  Humor is now the only reason I turn on the news.  Sad in one way but comforting in another.  Imagine actually getting angry about anything read or posted here. 

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

On Thai Visa? Absolutely not. You'd have to be deranged to take anything you read on TV with anything but a very large pinch of salt. Keyboard warrior central. I use TV for my personal amusement only.

I use it as a cure for loneliness.  After reading some of the deranged utterances, I'm glad that I'm alone.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I agree.  Humor is now the only reason I turn on the news.  Sad in one way but comforting in another.  Imagine actually getting angry about anything read or posted here. 

For me, there has been so much misinformation, spin, fake news and downright lies, they have destroyed all credibility they may have once had and in peoples general belief in the "News".

Take it all with a pinch of salt these days.

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Absolutely. There's not much funny coming out of the US at the moment but I watch the latest news on SNL and not only is it hilarious but very insightful too.

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The only medium that has the power to influence others as to their choice to come to Thailand or not, and then only tourists, are some British tabloids such as the Sun who regularly churn out highly sensationalised stories about Thailand.

Is that a bad thing or not? Some would argue that dissuading a bunch of shaven headed, tattooed Sun readers from visiting Thailand is a net positive.

Plus their much loved 'Brexit pound' which as great British patriots as they are they will enjoy holidaying back in their own country at last. 

I don't know how much people form their opinions these days from news or social media.

I guess for many of us we form opinions about other countries foremost about what we see in the news. And in the news we see most of the time just very little about lots of countries.

Like think about Nigeria, Columbia, Russia, what comes first to your mind? Probably thinks like drugs, scammers, corruption, etc. And Thailand has obviously also it's reputation.

I remember long time ago when I was still living in Europe. A friend told me he will make holiday in what was at that time Yugoslavia. I thought he was crazy because there was a war going on there. At least that is what I knew from the news. But he told me the war is only in a small area and there are wonderful places for a nice and cheap holiday.

I am sure there are lots of nice places in Nigeria, Columbia, Russia and Thailand which have very little to do with the well known image...

Would it be a bad thing if some expats were influenced to not move to Thailand based on warnings from current expats? A recent poll here concludes that about 60 percent of current retired expats would not recommend Thailand to others for retirement. That's remarkable, yes?

More to the point of the specific question here I think NO - - online negative coverage is NOT a major factor in influencing potential expats to not move to Thailand.

That's just a matter of human nature. People can't imagine that the multiple issues experienced expats are reporting will ever apply to them. They're different. They're special. The majority reporting major issues are clearly a bunch of bitter LOSERS.

They can't imagine how a total lack of residence security will feel 10 years down the line or the difficulties of repatriating after a very extended time abroad at an older age.

They imagine current economic requirements will always be grandfathered.

Its kind of like the falling for a bar girl stereotype. My girl is different. Probably not.

Cheers

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Would it be a bad thing if some expats were influenced to not move to Thailand based on warnings from current expats? A recent poll here concludes that about 60 percent of current retired expats would not recommend Thailand to others for retirement. That's remarkable, yes?

Depends on your point of view and what you are trying to accomplish.  The nearest thing I can think of to compare is facebook trying to influence people.  If your motives are altruistic and you use objective facts and not value laden negative anti Thai terms then you are making a charitable contribution to  expats in general then it's a good thing. 

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Depends on your point of view and what you are trying to accomplish.  The nearest thing I can think of to compare is facebook trying to influence people.  If your motives are altruistic and you use objective facts and not value laden negative anti Thai terms then you are making a charitable contribution to  expats in general then it's a good thing. 

You use "your" multiple times. Were you directing that specifically at me or was that more of a general use of your directly at everyone and anyone that is posting information that is not encouraging for people to move to Thailand? 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You use "your" multiple times. Were you directing that specifically at me or was that more of a general use of your directly at everyone and anyone that is posting information that is not encouraging for people to move to Thailand? 

5 out of 10 is half.  6 out of 10 is 60% or a bit bit more than half.  9 out of 10 is an overwhelming majority.  There are new visa regulations that require one to keep money in your own bank account in Thailand for 3 more months at 800k and a few more months at 400k.  There have been reports of Thailand holding money like a ransom or picturing the new visa rules as onerous and vindictive and a sign of a xenophobic future much like Germany in 1939.   I don't track other peoples posts so don't know if you post objectively or have an axe to grind. 

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

5 out of 10 is half.  6 out of 10 is 60% or a bit bit more than half.  9 out of 10 is an overwhelming majority.  There are new visa regulations that require one to keep money in your own bank account in Thailand for 3 more months at 800k and a few more months at 400k.  There have been reports of Thailand holding money like a ransom or picturing the new visa rules as onerous and vindictive and a sign of a xenophobic future much like Germany in 1939.   I don't track other peoples posts so don't know if you post objectively or have an axe to grind. 

In a typical election, 60 percent is a landslide.

You are DISTORTING the bank rules.

Two months before at 800K is actually (though incorrectly) often being enforced as three months before.  According to actual REPORTS here.
Then three months after which may or may not be checked at three month depending on your office.

That is SIX MONTHS total in practice!

Also the prospect of having your current annual extension based on a POST seasoning non-compliance is very new and indeed very onerous. 
Expats need to be proactive in this current very uncertain and perilous enviroment. If they hear about messed up enforcement, they need to prepare for that.

Your "few" months at 400K if six months at 800K is actually SIX months locked up at 400K.

In cases of correct enforcement, where the 800k would be needed for fve months and not six, then that is SEVEN months lockup of the 400k.

Sorry, but you've posted blatantly false information describing the numbers six or seven as a few. 

You imply insidious motivations to OTHER people's posts about these visa changes. Interesting that. 

People might wonder what is the motivation of people trying to blatantly sugar coat and indeed explicitly distort facts about the changes.

In any case, motivations are motivations. All we have here are what people post.

Yes, I have described the visa changes as onerous because indeed they are, especially for people that have relied on embassy letters and can't get them anymore even though they have legit income and also those that want to use the COMBO method which is now under the current ONEROUS rules problematic at best.

To add, you have personally accused me of evil motivations before in my characterization of recent visa rule changes and enforcement. My reply then as it is now, is that is actually against my personal SELF INTEREST if people stop coming. Why? I have a major asset here I would need to unload in order to leave and that would be harder without a fresh load of green bright eyed and bushy tailed fresh meat to potentially buy it. 

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

With all information in the news about foreign governments influencing other governments is it possible for social media such as Thai Visa to influence expats to leave or not come to Thailand?

Millions of tourists coming here every year vs a large handful of the usual Thaivisa Thai-bashers/posters?  Obviously, the answer is no.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In a typical election, 60 percent is a landslide.

You are DISTORTING the bank rules.

Two months before at 800K is actually (though incorrectly) often being enforced as three months before. 
Then three months after.

That is SIX MONTHS total in practice!
Expats need to be proactive. If they hear about messed up enforcement, they need to prepare for that.

Your "few" months at 400K if six months at 800K is actually SIX months locked up at 400K.

In cases of correct enforcement, where the 800k would be needed for fve months and not six, then that is SEVEN months lockup of the 400k.

Sorry, but you've posted blatantly false information describing the numbers six or seven as a few. 

You imply insidious motivations to OTHER people's posts about these visa changes.

People might wonder what is the motivation of people trying to blatantly sugar coat and indeed explicitly distort facts about the changes.

In any case, motivations are motivations. All we have here are what people post.

To add, no I have not personally posted anything like you suggesting any equivalence to Nazi Germany. Where did that inflammatory insinuation come from? 

Yes, I have described the visa changes as onerous because indeed they are, especially for people that have relied on embassy letters and can't get them anymore even though they have legit income and also those that want to use the COMBO method which is now under the current ONEROUS rules problematic at best.

Up to you.  My question was - does it cause expats to leave or not to come to Thailand or is it simply venting that no one pays any attention to. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Up to you.  My question was - does it cause expats to leave or not to come to Thailand or is it simply venting that no one pays any attention to. 

I already answered that. I don't think it has an effect because it's human nature to think that you're different and the experiences of others aren't relevant. 

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

One more than break even is not overwhelming.  1 is not much more than a simple majority.  To be overwhelming it needs to be much more. 

One more would be 51 percent. Before you call six or seven months a few months. Issues with maths? 

Archived