Does negative posting cause expats to leave or not come to Thailand

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Millions of tourists coming here every year vs a large handful of the usual Thaivisa Thai-bashers/posters?  Obviously, the answer is no.

I don't think pointing out the facts about the recent visa rule and enforcement and changes is Thai bashing. But I agree -- no. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 'Negative' news doesn't impact my decision to remain here.

As the second post by CharlieH eloquently puts it "people have sufficient intelligence in most cases to sift out the good from the bad"... or they should have sufficient intelligent to apply and intelligent level of balance to what they read. 

That said: I would be wrong to think that some of the negative posts here don't impact the way I behave here. 

- The many negative posts on road safety are a constant reminder to take extra caution when out on the roads. 

- One of the big things I have learned from ThaiVisa.com is that not everyone carries the same degree of intelligent balance. Some can completely miss context or are completely irrational in their arguments / thoughts. While many replies are sane and balanced, the negative posts highlight how different people are.

- Reading many of the negative posts also shows me how many people can bring problems upon themselves and then blame others. 

- Reading many of the negative posts also shows how easy is to get caught out here and thus highlights how we should be protecting ourselves (with insurance and financially). 

In conclusion, sifting through the bumf of negative topics there is some valuable insight to be gained in how Thailand works and the spectrum of people it attracts. I'm sure some could be put off by the negatives posts, but these same people would be the ones who get themselves into trouble, are ill prepared and find themselves unable to remain in Thailand anyway. But, for the most part people will always prefer find out for themselves 'the hard way' than to pay attention to anyone on an anonymous web-forum.

Thus No... with a few minor exceptions I don't think any negative post would impact someones decision to come to Thailand in General. 

Caveat: This depends what sort of 'negative' post we are discussion - whinging expats or damning news. I suspect there are People who avoid Koh Tao and some of the Islands because of the negative news and lawlessness portrayed on those Islands. 

If I had young friends visiting Thailand, I would tell them to avoid Koh Tao completely and be very careful in Koh Pagnan and Samui. 

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Same things have happened here with the false rumors/news about Insurance requirements and stopping Farang from getting married and so on. 

In Thailand, for farang stuff these days, it's only a "false rumor" until it ends up becoming true.... :whistling:

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The 'Negative' news doesn't impact my decision to remain here.

As the second post by CharlieH eloquently puts it "people have sufficient intelligence in most cases to sift out the good from the bad"... or they should have sufficient intelligent to apply and intelligent level of balance to what they read. 

That said: I would be wrong to think that some of the negative posts here don't impact the way I behave here. 

- The many negative posts on road safety are a constant reminder to take extra caution when out on the roads. 

- One of the big things I have learned from ThaiVisa.com is that not everyone carries the same degree of intelligent balance. Some can completely miss context or are completely irrational in their arguments / thoughts. While many replies are sane and balanced, the negative posts highlight how different people are.

- Reading many of the negative posts also shows me how many people can bring problems upon themselves and then blame others. 

- Reading many of the negative posts also shows how easy is to get caught out here and thus highlights how we should be protecting ourselves (with insurance and financially). 

In conclusion, sifting through the bumf of negative topics there is some valuable insight to be gained in how Thailand works and the spectrum of people it attracts. I'm sure some could be put off by the negatives posts, but these same people would be the ones who get themselves into trouble, are ill prepared and find themselves unable to remain in Thailand anyway. But, for the most part people will always prefer find out for themselves 'the hard way' than to pay attention to anyone on an anonymous web-forum.

Thus No... with a few minor exceptions I don't think any negative post would impact someones decision to come to Thailand in General. 

Caveat: This depends what sort of 'negative' post we are discussion - whinging expats or damning news. I suspect there are People who avoid Koh Tao and some of the Islands because of the negative news and lawlessness portrayed on those Islands. 

If I had young friends visiting Thailand, I would tell them to avoid Koh Tao completely and be very careful in Koh Pagnan and Samui.

I avoid Bangkok and Chiang Mai because of the smoke in disagreement with those who say it's not bad.  I simply call up friends and ask.  Plus it's easy to spot the posters who are truthful as those who are trying to pedal an agenda.   I don't find any one who relies on social media for facts to be very dependable. 

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In Thailand, for farang stuff these days, it's only a "false rumor" until it ends up becoming true.... :whistling:

Yeah a good example is the combo method.

In the early days of talk about these changes, I was warning here that this was going to be a huge and confusing mess and the wise expats should not (at least for this first year and maybe never) rely on it.

That instead they should prepare for a full bank account method application if at all possible.

Many people insulted me for that calling me a fear mongerer.

No --  a realist. 

I was right.

The combo method is indeed very problematic now at many offices. Many immigration officers can't even correctly tell expats what exactly they need to do to comply. 

Were my posts rumors? Actually they weren't. They were my projections and predictions based on hearing about the changes and many years of experience dealing with immigration. It sounded too confusing and COMPLICATED to be realistically enforced, especially without an embassy letter for the income portion.

Hopefully some day there will be full clarification and more people will be able to rely on the combo method in future. We're nowhere near that now. 

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

One more than break even is not overwhelming.  1 is not much more than a simple majority.  To be overwhelming it needs to be much more. 

Really?  6 overwhelms 4, doesn't it? 

Perhaps you know the point at which a majority (that, by definition, overwhelms) becomes overwhelming?

My two cents is....anyone who would decide to move to Thailand these days without sufficiently informing themselves of what's going on here in various aspects is a fool...

And likewise, anyone living somewhere ought to always be evaluating their environment and whether it's a good/acceptable place for them to continue to reside/live.

The posts on TVF, if evaluated with some perspective, contain a wealth of information that would help educate/inform anyone in either situation. 

That doesn't mean they automatically should decide not to come or to leave... But it's certainly food for thought in considering those decisions. And frankly, the weight of changes/evolution in recent years in all the various areas has not been particularly on the positive side of things.

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think pointing out the facts about the recent visa rule and enforcement and changes is Thai bashing. But I agree -- no. 

What?  My comment was nothing to do with visas, it was a general comment about the majority of posters here re any subject that involves Thais or Thailand.

Just now, Just Weird said:

What?  My comment was nothing to do with visas, it was a general comment about the majority of posters here re any subject that involves Thais or Thailand.

Fair enough but my comment still stands in general irrespective of any relevance to your post.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My two cents is....anyone who would decide to move to Thailand these days without sufficiently informing themselves of what's going on here in various aspects is a fool...

And likewise, anyone living somewhere ought to always be evaluating their environment and whether it's a good/acceptable place for them to continue to reside/live.

The posts on TVF, if evaluated with some perspective, contain a wealth of information that would help educate/inform anyone in either situation. 

That doesn't mean they automatically should decide not to come or to leave... But it's certainly food for thought in considering those decisions. And frankly, the weight of changes/evolution in recent years in all the various areas has not been particularly on the positive side of things.

"The posts on TVF, if evaluated with some perspective, contain a wealth of information that would help educate/inform anyone in either situation". 

Hahahahahaha..!  Very good.

20 hours ago, Spidey said:

On Thai Visa? Absolutely not. You'd have to be deranged to take anything you read on TV with anything but a very large pinch of salt. Keyboard warrior central. I use TV for my personal amusement only.

The only medium that has the power to influence others as to their choice to come to Thailand or not, and then only tourists, are some British tabloids such as the Sun who regularly churn out highly sensationalised stories about Thailand.

Is that a bad thing or not? Some would argue that dissuading a bunch of shaven headed, tattooed Sun readers from visiting Thailand is a net positive.

Think you use it out of boredom...

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Agreed....

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

can only hope..

Whether people come or don't come, it certainly is NOT a bad thing for people to become more informed about what exactly they're getting themselves into IF they do come. 

Labeling posting "negative" is really a loaded way of putting it in cases where the content being broadcast actually reflects FACTS. 

There's people's various opinions of all sorts, and then there's facts and news...

In the latter category, in recent years, you'd have to consider:

--the march away from democracy

--the circus of Immigration changes and inconsistencies

--air that's often not fit to breathe, and water that's often not fit to drink

--farangs getting thrown in jail for things that Thais would get off with a handslap for

--the rise of a palpable anti-foreigner attitude by some in authority...

--the constant cavalcade of senseless bus, van and road deaths

etc etc etc...

And if I wasn't already living here and making adjustments and precautions for all those things as best as possible, all of the above would certainly have me thinking before deciding to make a move.

29 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Really?  6 overwhelms 4, doesn't it? 

Perhaps you know the point at which a majority (that, by definition, overwhelms) becomes overwhelming?

The dictionary I looked at said 81% and I tend to agree with that number.  10% is very close to the accuracy plus or minus of a poll like that. 

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

is it possible for social media such as Thai Visa to influence expats to leave or not come to Thailand?

Absolutely... I have met a couple of people who were excited about coming here to retire and changed their minds due to seeing negative posts on this forum. Sadly, they remained home as I think they would have had a happier retirement here. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Whether people come or don't come, it certainly is NOT a bad thing for people to become more informed about what exactly they're getting themselves into IF they do come. 

Labeling posting "negative" is really a loaded way of putting it in cases where the content being broadcast actually reflects FACTS. 

Agreed- just because it may not be what people want to read doesn't disqualify it from being true. Thailand has had enough of people pretending to be someone they're not. 

Just now, kenk24 said:

Absolutely... I have met a couple of people who were excited about coming here to retire and changed their minds due to seeing negative posts on this forum. Sadly, they remained home as I think they would have had a happier retirement here. 

Well depends on the bird they shacked up with to be happy in LOS.....

If no bird it could be a wow.....????

Speaking personally, I don't regret the decision I made more than a decade ago to move and live here. And the time has been pretty decent overall, including meeting and marrying my wife.

BUT, if I were starting from scratch now and having to decide whether to make the same move TODAY with today's circumstances, I'd probably take a pass.  Times have changed.

And even if I wasn't living here but residing abroad, I'd certainly learn enough from reading the news on ThaiVisa to make an informed decision.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Speaking personally, I don't regret the decision I made more than a decade ago to move and live here. And the time has been pretty decent overall, including meeting and marrying my wife.

BUT, if I were starting from scratch now and having to decide whether to make the same move TODAY with today's circumstances, I'd probably take a pass.  Times have changed.

And even if I wasn't living here but residing abroad, I'd certainly learn enough from reading the news on ThaiVisa to make an informed decision.

Yep, 10 years back moving here was easy and fun.

Now, it isn't, and if I were a n00b, I'd move elsewhere.

My parents read Thai Visa. They sussed out all the Visa requirements and just called it quits now deciding to use a tourist visa to visit me when at one time, they wanted to retire in CM to be close to me. Just reading the smog issues from various forums (and from here) and seeing photos from myself, put them hugely off. They just recently bought another Condo on the Gold Coast with the money they had earmarked for Thailand to base part of their retirement in. People will read from a lot of sources to make an informed decision. What is being posted also just on Facebook on numerous forums on the smog issue in CM this year has generated lots of negative feedback and social media is just further promoting it. People are smart enough to make fully informed decisions and enough searching over the Internet can yield the answers you are looking for. More the information for you, more the power.

Just now, madmen said:

Take your family and head to first world. Whats stopping you? The regular posters making the most noise have no intention of ever leaving because there is never ending list of cop out excuses.

I have a dog

I love lady boys, have a cat, condo, house, will miss soi 6, wife wont leave etc etc etc. JT in particular is all over the place like a crazy person when Swampy is so close for a quick exit yet everyone chooses to bitch but still stay in LOS of course ????

I agree except I don't have a cat.  I would but the dog does not like them - puppy thing.  When she was a puppy a cat attacked her. 

Back in the 60's and 70's we just explored the world , without reading any negative or positive stories about a place. 

I think its healthy for us all to just look at anything published on the Internet as pure entertainment and not real stories. 
Yes you can still listen to the daily news , just turn on BBC or something real news channels. And forget the other noise you will find online. 

Do your own research online, but never take it as the only truth. 

The whole negative versus positive paradigm needs to be dropped. What's important is whether a poster is being honest. Someone who dishonestly claims everything's perfect is doing just as much, if not more, potential damage than someone who dishonestly claims Thailand is going down the tubes. If a post honestly reflects the poster's thoughts and feelings, the post has value and should be welcomed.

48 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

My parents read Thai Visa. They sussed out all the Visa requirements and just called it quits now deciding to use a tourist visa to visit me when at one time, they wanted to retire in CM to be close to me. Just reading the smog issues from various forums (and from here) and seeing photos from myself, put them hugely off. They just recently bought another Condo on the Gold Coast with the money they had earmarked for Thailand to base part of their retirement in. People will read from a lot of sources to make an informed decision. What is being posted also just on Facebook on numerous forums on the smog issue in CM this year has generated lots of negative feedback and social media is just further promoting it. People are smart enough to make fully informed decisions and enough searching over the Internet can yield the answers you are looking for. More the information for you, more the power.

A very good post.My perception is that Thailand is seen as old hat in Australia-sexpats are somewhat despised-and that there are far better places to go.

I was surprised by the lack of interest compared to when I first departed in 2009.

Archived