Where is the good bread in Hua Hin?

lsemprini

Looking for some Western-quality bread anywhere in Hua Hin.  Ok if I have to order ahead from a restaurant.  Ideally sourdough ciabatta/baguettes/boules.  Not looking for heavy dark breads or anything with Caraway seeds.  Want to hear the gentle cracking of the substantial crust as crumbs and flour fly off in every direction, to reveal a soft inside with giant air cavities and smell the sourdough flavor.  

The bread-shaped objects sold at Villa and Tesco and other large Farang grocery chains are not even close.

I tried Op Oon and it is a step in the right direction, but the inner texture is still lacking and they clearly spend the large proportion of their effort on the shop decor.

Where is the good stuff?

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, sirocco said:

Eh! yes, a bread that sings when you break it, or when you bite it.
Sometimes it's at the bakery next to Tesco in Market Village, but you have to take it out of the oven.
Otherwise, it is difficult to find.

Thanks.  Do you mean the Taiwan-style bakery out in the open part of the mall outside Tesco (the one with glass walls on all 4 sides)?

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

There is a Swiss patisserie half way down, or up, Soi 88 - only noticed it yesterday so can't know for sure.

Very nearly opposite an AMAZING French charcuterie

Sounds good, but not sure where you mean exactly.  Do you mean between the train tracks and where soi 88 hits soi 94?  I couldn't find the Swiss patisserie or the French charcuterie on Google Maps.  Could you point out the area (click the area on this map, then click the lat/lon on the box at the bottom of the screen, then click "Share" on the left and copy/paste the link)?  https://goo.gl/maps/Dn9rMjV1NMphyfRXA

Thanks.

I can't eat proper French baguettes, which is really annoying because they look so good. Perhaps it's my technique, but the sons of guns inevitably cut or scratch the roof of my mouth too badly to really enjoy them. 

I ended up regularly making my own light rye beard there just using one of those round convection ovens that can (could?) be bought for around 1000 baht. The whole country is usually the perfect proofing and rising temperature for the stuff, so my loaves always came out quite nice. 

9 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I can't eat proper French baguettes, which is really annoying because they look so good. Perhaps it's my technique, but the sons of guns inevitably cut or scratch the roof of my mouth too badly to really enjoy them. 

I ended up regularly making my own light rye beard there just using one of those round convection ovens that can (could?) be bought for around 1000 baht. The whole country is usually the perfect proofing and rising temperature for the stuff, so my loaves always came out quite nice. 

I'm a big fan of bread machines, a 750gm loaf costs about 10bht to make.

Morries Breadmaker 4,500bht, from Lazada, bit expensive but reliable.

Chuck all the ingredients in the top, press the button and 3 hours later out comes a loaf of bread.

FYI map links for others on the same quest.  Haven't tried the breads yet:

The Baguette (Phetkasem road near soi 39): https://goo.gl/maps/Qj1RfjJcKKH5Nno59

Boucherie Jean-Pierre (soi 88, the long part that goes way west, not the short part that becomes soi 94, with Swiss bakery across street according to post above): https://goo.gl/maps/eu1yB6JK3c1rMF747

Hua Hin Bakery (Ang Nam area, Khao Hin Lek Fai Rd): https://goo.gl/maps/eu1yB6JK3c1rMF747

In the momentum:
Hua Hin dinner (Jerome) at 102
Paris Bakery (I think it's Grégory) at 102
At Loulou (Hacienda) at 104
For the last 2, I tasted their product, a few years ago, before their move; not bad.
Mirabelle, at 94, the bread is not bad, but I do not know if he does it himself.
At BLUPORT, going towards the supermarket, at the bottom and taking a left, there is PARIS by Eric Kayser.
Otherwise, there is an excellent bread at BEACH CLUB SANAE, but at Kao Tao.
But I do not know if it's for sale for individuals.
Must see the exact location on the maps.

I would recommend Paris Bakery soi 102.

Opening Times:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 7 am- 4 pm

Saturday - Sunday: 7 am - 2 pm

Thursday: Closed

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297922-d12237585-Reviews-Paris_Bakery-Hua_Hin_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html

Owned by shy Frenchman; his Thai wife and waitresses are polite and friendly, and speak reasonable English.

Hope this helps ????

Too late to amend my post above.

I am having breakfast at Paris Bakery this morning. I have just noticed that it will be shut for staff holidays from May 1st - 9th May inclusive. It will reopen on 10th May.

Hi all, thanks for the recommendations.  So far I have visited 8 places, and after all that work, I finally found 1 example of real bread!!!!

============ COMPLETE SUMMARY SO FAR ============

REMEMBER my goal is very specific: European-style bread that is delicious to my farang palate.   Ideally sourdough ciabatta/baguettes/boules.  I am not looking for heavy/dense dark breads or anything with Caraway seeds.  I want to hear the gentle cracking of the substantial crust as crumbs and flour fly off in every direction, to reveal a soft inside with giant air cavities and smell the sourdough flavor.   

Most bread shops in Thailand are forced to make concessions for Thai customers, who want the outer APPEARANCE of European bread like the pictures, but who want the familiar soft, thin crusts (like white Wonder/7-11 bread shaped into a baguette), zero bubbles inside, and Sa-WEET Sa-WEET foamy inner core, even for bread that is supposed to be sourdough.   Most Thais will see real french bread and complain "What's wrong with it?  It's burnt a little, the crust is way too thick and hard to eat, it smells weird, and it's full of holes!  Not like 7-11 at all!  Headache!" 

If the shop offers to use their machine to pre-slice the load of bread you are thinking of purchasing, run.  That is an instant indication that it's not real bread (since real bread would go stale-hard within seconds/minutes of slicing).

Also REMEMBER I am ONLY judging the takeaway bread quality.  Some of these places are nice to sit with aircon etc.  and some may have great non-bread products for sale.

===== Villa Market AND Tesco-Lotus Market Village AND "Gourmet" Market Bluport

BREAD QUALITY: "Bread-Shaped Object" -- NOT EVEN CLOSE

I tried various breads at all 3 chains and was heavily disappointed.   This is not the real deal. 

Despite each bread looking completely different and often looking good from the outside, it is clear that all the breads are made from the same boring, mass-produced, non-sour dough which comes out with the same disappointing fine crumb and factory-plastic taste, just like the bread from chain grocery stores in the US.  Clearly engineered to minimize labor/ingredient cost and maximize profit.  Avoid.

===== The Baguette

(Phetkasem road near soi 39, near Klai Gangwon palace):

https://goo.gl/maps/Qj1RfjJcKKH5Nno59

Just a tiny tiny step above the chain grocery stores.  Even the eponymous baguettes are simply white bread with a micro-thin crust.  I really really wanted to be impressed, but was disappointed.  A dark thick rye bread was just barely ok, with an unpleasantly dry composition and still with no hint of sour scent or flavor.

===== Hua Hin Bakery

(Ang Nam area, Khao Hin Lek Fai Rd):

https://goo.gl/maps/EGRvvewq5E7FtwmWA

BREAD QUALITY: MEH

A small step up from the places listed above, but here you will still get suspiciously soft bread.  Real bread should not squish like a NERF ball.  You will not find thick, crispy crusts here or in the places above. 

Inside the Hua Hin Bakery bread, you will fine spongy, fine-crumbed insides with not the slightest hint of sour taste (both in the "farmer" boule I tried and the multi-grain boule I tried).  So it's essentially still sweet bread.  However, the Hua Hin Bakery bread does have a consistent, moist composition and even a very small number of <1" bubbles, rather than the dry or plasticy insides that you get from the places above.  So that's a step in the right direction.  But still does not pass.

===== Ob-Oon Boulangerie-Patisserie

(Naebkehardt Rd Near Soi 53)

https://goo.gl/maps/YgoCmaKaxM3JVGuS9

BREAD QUALITY: OUTSIDE GOOD, INSIDE BAD

Ob-Oon is a place that clearly focuses on outside appearance.  Their marketing and decor are top-notch pretentious.

Generally their bread is a step above any of the places above, but they still don't make the mark.

I bought two types of boule that actually featured a nice thick, brown crust.  But the inside was disappointing.  Still the same teeny tiny bubbles, very little sour scent or flavor, and very dry and tasteless inside with too fine a crumb.

===== Swiss Bakery 88

(Soi 88 about 200m west of train tracks on the part of 88 that goes up the mountain, not the part of 88 that becomes 94.  Note despite an earlier comment, it is NOT right across from Boucherie Jean-Pierre, it is about 100m east of that fine butcher)

https://goo.gl/maps/PeANgaMRWANBRPxi7

BREAD QUALITY: Excellent Swiss, but not ciabatta-style

True to its name, this bakery features mostly thicker, denser, dark breads and the Swiss Zopf.  I tried some dark bread and its dense, microscopic crumb was rich in sour flavor and was tasty for days.  However, they do not sell my target type of bread (see above).

===== Pane&Focaccia

(about 2.5km from train station on big road heading west that includes Big C)

https://goo.gl/maps/JWNKQ9KfNgJ1PKAC7

BREAD QUALITY: FINALLY, THE REAL DEAL!!!!!!!!

See attached pictures. 

FINALLY!  Floury, crispy ciabatta crust leads to a hole-ly interior with an unmistakable sour flavor.  Yaaay!!!

I also tried their Rye Boule, which featured a substantial cracked thick crust, strong flavor inside, and caraway seeds (which I personally hate, but I think the average Rye lover will really appreciate).

As a side note, all the other stuff this shop sells were also much better than the Thai-oriented shops listed above, including the chain grocery stores.  I finally saw cheeses I recognize and missed (like Fontina and Taleggio) rather than the unfamiliar, easily-imported ones commonly found at the farang groceries.  There was also imported butter and a display full of excellent meats typical of Italian markets in Italy (see pic).

===== Paris Bakery

(Soi 102)

https://goo.gl/maps/dX25TVr59beXY3fF6

I did not visit this one yet.  Hope to try it tomorrow before their long holiday begins.

===== Yamazaki inside Market Village near Tesco

https://goo.gl/maps/QMBc3QVC87Td4N9F9

I only passed by this one so far, but since it is clearly targeting the Taiwan-style bakery market, which is really a whole other thing, it is almost certain to disappoint a farang palate.

===== Restaurants

Often the best bread is home-made by local Italian/French restaurants and sometimes you can special-order a whole loaf ahead of time.  I haven't explored these yet but there are some suggestions elsewhere in this thread.

pfciabatta.jpg

pfbread.jpg

pfmeat.jpg

UPDATE today

===== Paris Bakery

(Soi 102)

https://goo.gl/maps/dX25TVr59beXY3fF6

BREAD QUALITY: CROISSANT EXCELLENT, OTHERS MEH

As you might expect from the name, this place had excellent, soft, flaky croissants that actually continued to be spiraling, airy, buttery croissants inside, rather than croissant-shaped bread as you so often see in Thailand.

Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed by the mini-baguette (which had been baked a few hours prior, about the same age as I got from the other places I visited).  The outside was thick and nice, but the inside had a fine, bubble-less crumb that I found to be very dry and with no particular scent or taste.   I wanted to try one of the freshly-baked large baguettes just to be sure the mini-baguette was not older than they said, but unfortunately the larger baguettes were all booked by regular customers (as the shop is about to close for 1 week).

I also tried a country bread boule, which was nicely hard-crusted and beautiful on the outside (no NERF ball here).  On the inside, though, the medium-fine crumb was again a bit dry and rather than a nice sour smell there was more of a yeasty smell that turned me off a bit.

Still, overall much better than most of the places listed above, but (other than the croissant) still not singingly delicious.

===== Yamazaki inside Market Village near Tesco

https://goo.gl/maps/QMBc3QVC87Td4N9F9

BREAD QUALITY: GOOD INSIDE, MEH OUTSIDE

Despite Yamazaki clearly targeting the Taiwan-style bakery market, where most customers are Asians expecting a completely different kind of thing (mostly bread-shaped super-sweet pastries, sometimes with nasty hot-dog inside), I was pleasantly surprised by their supposedly "just-baked" (so the corporate sign said) "Butter French" loaf.  While it did NOT feature a thick crust and while it was suspiciously squishy, it did feature a very nice moist, soft inside with gigantic holes and with a mild sour smell.  The inside was actually better than several of the other bakeries listed above.

NEW UPDATE for completeness

===== Morning Bread Cafe and Restaurant

(soi 94 next door to the awesome S&S Indian)

https://goo.gl/maps/qxTAhnXesEGDnXERA

Similar type of bread to "The Baguette."  Looks awesome from the outside, but thin crust and insides are the same no-bubble fine crumb.

I like the breads at Pane Foccacio as well as their deli selection and sandwiches. 

Sourdough is available at Eric Kayser in Bluport. You can call ahead and if they are sold out they will bake you a fresh one in 20 minutes. Very convenient 

On 4/25/2019 at 11:39 AM, BritManToo said:

I'm a big fan of bread machines, a 750gm loaf costs about 10bht to make.

Morries Breadmaker 4,500bht, from Lazada, bit expensive but reliable.

Chuck all the ingredients in the top, press the button and 3 hours later out comes a loaf of bread.

INteresting, do you buy several different flours to make different textures etc?

For example the right flour to make french country style full of big holes / bubbles?

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

INteresting, do you buy several different flours to make different textures etc?

For example the right flour to make french country style full of big holes / bubbles?

White flour, wholewheat flour, muesli and rolled oats give enough variation for me.

Did muesli bread for a month (great for toast), then wholewheat for a couple of months, now on white bread.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried all the places mentioned by the OP and agree with their assessments. Now I get all my bread (croissants, baguettes, ciabatta, buns, multi-malt, etc) from a young lady who bakes fresh to order from her home (no shop, buyer collection only), great products and prices. She does have minimum orders, can send details by PM (not sure I can post a link to her FB page here, that's where these pics are from). 

59776676_2105403176224375_995850079531171840_n.jpg

59345395_2105403199557706_8626351142961414144_n.jpg

59286032_2105401849557841_513753070140653568_n.jpg

58377578_2096282557136437_4606828852797243392_n.jpg

59410777_2096282583803101_3101029025515044864_n.jpg

Another place that you could try is the Ritza Restaurant. It says that its bread is made fresh every day.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g297922-d13328918-Reviews-The_Ritza-Hua_Hin_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html

Directions:

Going from Bluport, on Phetkasem Road, heading south towards Pranburi, where the main road forks, take the left hand lane going towards Khao Tokiab.

You will pass the Ibis hotel on your left, and Sarneys on your right. You then go past the entrance to the temple on your right. A couple of blocks further on you will see the Ritza Restaurant on your right. It is set back from the road, behind some trees, but it is a large building in yellow and black, so it is easy to spot. There is a small car park on the right hand side of the building.

opening times: 7am - 8pm every day.

Paris Bakery soi 102:

Secondly, are you going to give Paris Bakery in soi 102 a second chance? On your last visit, you reported that all the large baguettes had already been booked out to their regular customers, because it was the last day before their 9 day staff holiday. They are now open again. I would be interested to know what you think of the bread you were not able to try on the day of your visit. (Closed Thursdays).

81D575CC-E77D-4F70-B38A-902E9EFE3D04.jpeg

Was about to recommend Pane e Focaccia but I see you have found it already - certainly my favourite deli in HH. Highly recommend the ciabattas, boules, pasta sauces, mini-calzones, frozen pizzas (bargain), and I regularly grab their ham + cheese sandwiches and the Italian sausage fettuccini to go. Their coffee is good also, rare for the town! Cooked / cured meats are decent, though sometimes I find they don't last long in the fridge, the eggs they have whilst small are very fresh and good quality, great for poaching.

In terms of Yamazaki though, their baguettes are surprisingly my current favourite - not that keen on anything else they offer but always grab 3 or 4 baguettes from there, slice them up into 3s and freeze them, defrost in 12 seconds on high and taste as good as fresh for me. Makes for a very reasonable daily bread for myself and the kids. The baguettes from Pane e Focaccia are also very nice, but too tough for my kids (and a bit small for my liking)

Additional information about Ritza.

Their menu consists of 23 sides of A4. It is only on the final page that you are told that the prices quoted on the previous pages do not include 7% vat. Really, the prices on every page should include vat, or alternatively, every page should indicate that vat is extra. Putting that information on page 23 at the back of the menu is not customer friendly/focused.

I had the omelette for 120 baht and americano for 75 baht. The omelette was filled with cheese, tomatoes, and onion (I refused the inclusion of ham as well) with a side salad and dressing. It was a tasty meal.

The coffee was a better quality than Bon Cafe, with a good flavour.

I was expecting the bill to be 195 baht (120 + 75). The invoice was for 214.50 baht (vat was shown separately). I was in a rush and so paid without checking the bill in detail. It was only later that I realised that an extra 19.5 baht on top of 195 was 10% not 7%. Unfortunately, I had not kept the till receipt.

The drinks menu board, on the wall behind the till, lists the prices exclusive of vat. There’s no indication on the board that vat is extra.

So when you visit, maybe take a calculator with you to check the prices for bread.

I went back a second time and ordered a coffee so I could check the menu. It was only then that I saw the notice about 7% on the final page. 

Although the food and the coffee were good, the unexpected addition of vat has left me feeling cheated and angry. An extra 20 baht is not the end of the world, but it is different if you are a dad buying a meal for mum and 2 or 3 kids; an extra 7% (or 10%) would make an unexpected inroad into the family budget for the day.

Customers  are entitled to know the full price of each item before they make their choice, and to be treated fairly. Putting the notice about the vat at the back of a large menu is really just the equivalent of a ‘get out of jail’ card, which is there for the benefit of the restaurant and not the customer.

I did not see any farang working there, only young Thais, so it was not clear who was in charge.

F7DA4077-D2DA-48C6-85EC-2C7A7A7A4A40.jpeg

2A64034D-8E99-4F0E-9869-F9CC7A87C852.jpeg

FB5E32DA-382F-4EE9-9A57-F6C673F7821B.jpeg

Thank you for your comeback.
Indeed, it is a vicious way of ripping off customers.
Do not be surprised if Farang restaurants have fewer and fewer people.
Between the reception that is very mixed and this way of attracting the customer in a sneaky way, it is better to avoid them.

Archived