BANGKOK 20 May 2019 03:18
lsemprini

Where is the good bread in Hua Hin?

Looking for some Western-quality bread anywhere in Hua Hin.  Ok if I have to order ahead from a restaurant.  Ideally sourdough ciabatta/baguettes/boules.  Not looking for heavy dark breads or anything with Caraway seeds.  Want to hear the gentle cracking of the substantial crust as crumbs and flour fly off in every direction, to reveal a soft inside with giant air cavities and smell the sourdough flavor.  

The bread-shaped objects sold at Villa and Tesco and other large Farang grocery chains are not even close.

I tried Op Oon and it is a step in the right direction, but the inner texture is still lacking and they clearly spend the large proportion of their effort on the shop decor.

Where is the good stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Eh! yes, a bread that sings when you break it, or when you bite it.
Sometimes it's at the bakery next to Tesco in Market Village, but you have to take it out of the oven.
Otherwise, it is difficult to find.

There is a Swiss patisserie half way down, or up, Soi 88 - only noticed it yesterday so can't know for sure.

Very nearly opposite an AMAZING French charcuterie

6 hours ago, sirocco said:

Eh! yes, a bread that sings when you break it, or when you bite it.
Sometimes it's at the bakery next to Tesco in Market Village, but you have to take it out of the oven.
Otherwise, it is difficult to find.

Thanks.  Do you mean the Taiwan-style bakery out in the open part of the mall outside Tesco (the one with glass walls on all 4 sides)?

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

There is a Swiss patisserie half way down, or up, Soi 88 - only noticed it yesterday so can't know for sure.

Very nearly opposite an AMAZING French charcuterie

Sounds good, but not sure where you mean exactly.  Do you mean between the train tracks and where soi 88 hits soi 94?  I couldn't find the Swiss patisserie or the French charcuterie on Google Maps.  Could you point out the area (click the area on this map, then click the lat/lon on the box at the bottom of the screen, then click "Share" on the left and copy/paste the link)?  https://goo.gl/maps/Dn9rMjV1NMphyfRXA

Thanks.

I can't eat proper French baguettes, which is really annoying because they look so good. Perhaps it's my technique, but the sons of guns inevitably cut or scratch the roof of my mouth too badly to really enjoy them. 

I ended up regularly making my own light rye beard there just using one of those round convection ovens that can (could?) be bought for around 1000 baht. The whole country is usually the perfect proofing and rising temperature for the stuff, so my loaves always came out quite nice. 

• Like 1

the long-standing store near Tesco is called Yamazaki.
As for the butcher Jean Pierre, it is at the top of 88, on the right.
Do not know the Swiss bakery.
Good luck to find good bread.

Hua Hin bakery off soi 70 or La Baguette on Petchakasem near soi 39.

Yep, off Petchakasem, over the tracks and left at the little supermarket, on the right just before Remax office. Everything is great, from coffees to cakes and breakfasts to burgers.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I can't eat proper French baguettes, which is really annoying because they look so good. Perhaps it's my technique, but the sons of guns inevitably cut or scratch the roof of my mouth too badly to really enjoy them. 

I ended up regularly making my own light rye beard there just using one of those round convection ovens that can (could?) be bought for around 1000 baht. The whole country is usually the perfect proofing and rising temperature for the stuff, so my loaves always came out quite nice. 

I'm a big fan of bread machines, a 750gm loaf costs about 10bht to make.

Morries Breadmaker 4,500bht, from Lazada, bit expensive but reliable.

Chuck all the ingredients in the top, press the button and 3 hours later out comes a loaf of bread.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Thanks much for the pointers.  Will check those places out! 

Anyone know an Italian/French restaurant in Hua Hin that serves fantastic bread?  I can go ask if they take orders too.

FYI map links for others on the same quest.  Haven't tried the breads yet:

The Baguette (Phetkasem road near soi 39): https://goo.gl/maps/Qj1RfjJcKKH5Nno59

Boucherie Jean-Pierre (soi 88, the long part that goes way west, not the short part that becomes soi 94, with Swiss bakery across street according to post above): https://goo.gl/maps/eu1yB6JK3c1rMF747

Hua Hin Bakery (Ang Nam area, Khao Hin Lek Fai Rd): https://goo.gl/maps/eu1yB6JK3c1rMF747

In the momentum:
Hua Hin dinner (Jerome) at 102
Paris Bakery (I think it's Grégory) at 102
At Loulou (Hacienda) at 104
For the last 2, I tasted their product, a few years ago, before their move; not bad.
Mirabelle, at 94, the bread is not bad, but I do not know if he does it himself.
At BLUPORT, going towards the supermarket, at the bottom and taking a left, there is PARIS by Eric Kayser.
Otherwise, there is an excellent bread at BEACH CLUB SANAE, but at Kao Tao.
But I do not know if it's for sale for individuals.
Must see the exact location on the maps.