VIDEO: Chaos outside Central World as armed man releases snakes bringing traffic to a standstill

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do you think he was really a danger to the public? He wasn't attacking anyone, just ranting.

anyone who releases a cobra from a stressful situation (closed bag) into an unfamiliar place endangers others.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do you think he was really a danger to the public? He wasn't attacking anyone, just ranting.

Yes, I do.

Where would you feel safer?

On a street with snakes & a guy with a knife, who most probably high?

Or not?

There was potential danger to the public, coupled with grossly abnormal behaviour.

49 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Those 'nice cars' are used as simple taxis in Germany. Oh, the loss of face if the hi-so Thais knew what they were driving :cheesy:

I've used them as taxi also, in Malaysia.

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Yes, I do.

Where would you feel safer?

On a street with snakes & a guy with a knife, who most probably high?

Or not?

There was potential danger to the public, coupled with grossly abnormal behaviour.

I disagree with your final sentence. What an outsider consider is abnormal behaviour is one thing. But this is Thailand.????  For example a lady boy dancing half drunk in the street is quite a normal occurrence in Thailand, whereas if it were to happen in London he/she would be arrested. So you see whilst behaving like a total pratt maybe considered abnormal behaviour for you and I,  In Thailand most acts of shameless stupidity are accepted as normal. Anyway having a Mercedes-Benz automatically excuses him from any punishment in Thailand

12 hours ago, faraday said:

I think that someone who is brandishing a large knife, & cavorting with snakes in a densely populated area, should be subdued immediately.

If that involves shooting him, however extreme that might be, it minimises potential injury to others.

Who was harmed physically in this incident?

3 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Who was harmed physically in this incident?

That's irrelevant. Public safety should always be the number one concern of the police. The police present obviously had zero training of what to do in a situation like this. They winged it and they got lucky. Traffic should have been stopped, members of the public should have been ushered away and the police should have surrounded him as soon as they could. 

"Everything's alright until it isn't" is not acceptable protocol. 

According to other news sources he cut the head off one of the snakes, should be pretty obvious what he's trying to symbolize, but even speculating would be illegal so we'll probably never learn his identity and what grievances he has against the powers that be. 

16 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

So the cops just let motorbikes drive right next to and past a guy with a machete and snakes in his hands. 

Not a clue how to adapt to a dangerous situation.  

the car make and decoration gave pause to the cop who figured he better not mess with this guy

5 hours ago, JaiLai said:

In a public place like that with hundreds of witness's - you reckon?

They were also probably scared, the guy has a pretty expensive motor meaning wealth.......unless is just the driver?

maybe he is a carwash employee that stole a customer car ??

17 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

So the cops just let motorbikes drive right next to and past a guy with a machete and snakes in his hands. 

Not a clue how to adapt to a dangerous situation.  

Yes, he drive a Mercedes-Benz  with Red Plate ! Untouchable !

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

T Traffic should have been stopped, members of the public should have been ushered away and the police should have surrounded him as soon as they could. 

Er, traffic was stopped.  Members of the public were ushered away.  He was surrounded.

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I disagree with your final sentence. What an outsider consider is abnormal behaviour is one thing. But this is Thailand.????  For example a lady boy dancing half drunk in the street is quite a normal occurrence in Thailand, whereas if it were to happen in London he/she would be arrested. So you see whilst behaving like a total pratt maybe considered abnormal behaviour for you and I,  In Thailand most acts of shameless stupidity are accepted as normal. Anyway having a Mercedes-Benz automatically excuses him from any punishment in Thailand

Having to drive a new Benz is punishment enough? The repair bills and depreciation ?

UPDATE: Armed Mercedes snake man to be charged

By The Thaiger

New-Project-3-1.jpg

No previous mental medical health problems have been identified for the man who released snakes on the road outside Central World in Bangkok yesterday.

The incident caused bedlam and stopped traffic outside Central World. A man, armed with a large knife, stopped his new black Mercedes right in the middle of the road. He then got out, posted some signs around the car and started releasing snakes out of a blue bag onto the road in front of the bewildered passersby.

Metropolitan Police revealed at a press conference that the man was 42 year old ‘Kanetpitsanuthep’ or Kanthapong Jakkrapopmahadaecha. He told police that he was worshipping as part of his beliefs in the Buddhism and Hindu religions. He says he received power from the sun (solar powered snake release). The man released two cobras during his impromptu demonstration yesterday.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/update-armed-mercedes-snake-man-to-be-charged

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-04-25

51 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Er, traffic was stopped.  Members of the public were ushered away.  He was surrounded.

He was indeed; but not before they stood around and watched. Which would go back to my original point in my original post of stopping traffic, etc "as soon as they could". 

Archived