Fingerprinting on entry?

I read it's now standard procedure for immigration to fingerprint everyone entering Thailand, is that true?

Do they use it in a sophisticated way (eg to see who's been stacking visas and switching passports) or is it just for spotting criminals?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

They have installed the Fingerprint readers at the Airport. But not use them yet. 

I guess in the future they will change to use them. On the Reader it's written you should put 4 fingers on the reader.

I just used the Airport Today so can tell for sure that they not are used yet.

I just back from Taiwan, and there you use the Fingerprint to exit the country. No passport or anything else needed. Very easy. On entry in the country you show of course Passport and give Fingerprints. But therefore the exit is very easy and fast ????

Standard in Singapore too on the way in and the way out.  Japan also.  And undoubtedly dozens of other countries.  

Hopefully this helps speed things up here.  Although four fingers is unusual, never come across that before.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Standard in Singapore too on the way in and the way out.  Japan also.  And undoubtedly dozens of other countries.  

Hopefully this helps speed things up here.  Although four fingers is unusual, never come across that before.

Left Japan 4 days ago, no finger prints taken - Narita airport.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

They definitely took mine on arrival in the USA last year, even though I was on a two-year e-Visa that I had already used once before so they already had all my details on their computer. The scanner was at each immigration desk, and that was for four fingers too.

No fingerprints on leaving though.

Edited by KittenKong

6 hours ago, Hal65 said:

If this is for tracking visas better I assume many board members including myself may soon have issues. I have a few too many tourist and ED visas

They keep track of you without fingerprints. 

New and old passport are linked nowadays. 

Be very sure immigration knows exactly how many days you spent in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Had Yai airport was using them at the end of March. Flew out and flew back in 4 days later and fingerprinted going out and coming back. 

I believe it is only a matter of time before it is rolled out through the whole country. 

It is 4 fingers of both hands and left and right thumb prints.

• Like 1

WIth so many scams

No give my hans

Let place bans

Never been a criminal before and not about to start now

Incapable of managing ….. so how can they manage this

AND what protection if the can't …. NONE!

4 hours ago, captainhornblower said:

Had Yai airport was using them at the end of March. Flew out and flew back in 4 days later and fingerprinted going out and coming back. 

I believe it is only a matter of time before it is rolled out through the whole country. 

It is 4 fingers of both hands and left and right thumb prints.

Most countries in SE Asia usually scan  the two index fingers. A lot quicker than all fingers like in the USA.

I guess with full fingers it will be probably integrated to their police database  as police department  scan all fingers.  Nothing to speed up the process.

Do not forget in Thailand Immigration is under the Royal Police Dept.