Weed-laced Thai sweets heading to 30 US states

webfact

Weed-laced Thai sweets heading to 30 US states

By PUANGCHOMPOO PRASERT 
THE NATION 

0b7ab8fb831e956cf4b370535e6ead89.jpeg

Gamhom Nalanchang, alias Kanja Witch, right, and former Miss Thailand World title holder Chanakarn Chaisri, present traditional Thai sweets at a press conference in Ramkhamhaeng University yesterday.

Desserts created by former beauty queen expected to earn over$1 million a month.

MARIJUANA-LACED Thai sweets will soon make their way to Las Vegas and many other parts of the United States where the consumption of cannabis for recreation is allowed. 

The pot-laced dessert is the latest marijuana-related initiative being discussed in Thailand, which legalised cannabinoid medicines earlier this year. 

Since medical marijuana got the okay, the herb has become a top trend – with talks and discussions being held everywhere on how to make the best use of marijuana. 

Gamhom Nalanchang, widely dubbed the Kanja (marijuana) Witch, told the press yesterday that she planned to sell marijuana-laced traditional Thai sweets to 30 states in the US from August. 

“I believe the sweets will get a good response,” she said, adding that she already sells cannabis-laced brownies and cookies in many hotels in Las Vegas and Florida. 

“I think Thai desserts that contains cannabis should sell well there. Sales should be worth around US$1 million [Bt32 million] a month,” she said. 

Former beauty queen Chanakarn Chaisri came up with the recipe for the special Thai sweets, which will be sold under the brand “Khanom Mee Mong” – with mong being a short form for mongkut or crown. 

“I chose thong ake [a type of Thai dessert] because of its auspicious name,” the beauty queen-turned-chef said. 

Crowned Miss Thailand World in 1990, Chanakarn added that her dessert still retains its authentic taste, even though it is laced with cannabis extract.

Gamhom said each packet of the Thai dessert will be clearly labelled as to how much THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) or CBD (Cannabidiol) it contains. 

“By US law, each piece can contain no more than 5 milligrams of CBD,” she said. 

Gamhom and Chanakarn were speaking at Ramkhamhaeng University, which will hold an academic seminar on medical marijuana and treatment on April 30. 

Meanwhile, Medical Services Department’s director-general Somsak Akksilp said his department will be happy to work with Rangsit University in conducting research on how cannabis extracts can prohibit the growth of cancer cells in patients with lung cancer. There are several hospitals, namely Lerdsin, Rajavithi and Nopparatrajathanee, in the Rangsit University network. 

“I think the National Cancer Institute will also join,” Somsak said. 

According to the Food and Drug Administration, 19 universities or state agencies have registered for the possession of cannabis. The 90-day application period for amnesty will run until May 19. 

“At least, 6,395 patients have also applied for the amnesty,” FDA secretary-general Dr Tares Krassanairawiwong said. 

From April 29 to 30, the first round of training on medical marijuana usage will be conducted for 200 registered participants. 

The next round will be held on May 23 and 24, while those interested can register on May 10. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368308

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-25

This will be interesting to follow. USA Federal law differs from the states that have approved the use of marijuana. How will US Customs and the DEA handle the importation? And Thailand has only approved medicinal use. These are described as “sweets.” Food (or desserts) for thought.

2 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

This will be interesting to follow. USA Federal law differs from the states that have approved the use of marijuana. How will US Customs and the DEA handle the importation? And Thailand has only approved medicinal use. These are described as “sweets.” Food (or desserts) for thought.

It s not made in Thailand, she produces them inside the states where they will be sold.

2 hours ago, thaichina said:

It s not made in Thailand, she produces them inside the states where they will be sold.

The headline is somewhat misleading...

"Weed-laced Thai sweets heading to 30 US states"

...and what year did she win Miss Thailand World...1954? 

And "Kanja Witch"...yeah, I can see that.

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most women are lucky to keep their looks 5 years.

Hardly any woman over 40 is worth a second glance.

If she's making $1 million a month I'll forgive her a few wrinkles.

Surely if she's making money from selling "drugs that are illegal in Thailand" legally in the US, she can still be arrested here...?

No different from that Dutch guy who was recently arrested here for making his money running legal "coffee shops" in the Netherlands. (Except he was farang.) 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, Medical Services Department’s director-general Somsak Akksilp said his department will be happy to work with Rangsit University in conducting research on how cannabis extracts can prohibit the growth of cancer cells in patients with lung cancer.

Hmmmm, that's interesting.  Sweets aside, they're suggesting that smoking pot can help patients with lung cancer.  A tad counter-intuitive, but if true, that's quite the miracle weed.   

36 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

To be fair, I don't think any of us look as good today as we did 30 years ago.

That's why you use a "fresher" Miss Thailand World...

I do find her still wearing that Tiara, remembering the glory days, to be quite amusing.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

To be fair, I don't think any of us look as good today as we did 30 years ago.

Unfair, parts of me have matured with age!

Anyway, Marijuana derivatives CBD,CBG etc are showing some startling results for various ailments.

41 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

For decades poor people have been locked up and had their lives ruined by the drugs war and crackdowns on weed. Now the rich will move in and make money out of it... the system is wrong

Naw dude, its all good. Only the rich or the ones taking the cash risk are able to bring us the goodies of modern weed. You want to smoke ditch weed? its alwys going to be available. But for those tasty oils and somewhat? You need cash to start.,

I'm lost here...

How does Thailand legalizing marijuana for supposedly only medical purposes, and I thought that was supposed to include only when prescribed by a doctor or some other official source, suddenly somehow transform into permission for Thai private entrepreneurs to start producing, selling and exporting marijuana-laced sweets to the general public for recreational use???

40 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Not a bad idea, proactive treatment to cure the munchies. Should be legal here too. Here's to hoping.

I love those little sweets by the way

21 hours ago, webfact said:

By US law, each piece can contain no more than 5 milligrams of CBD,” she said. 

5 mg per piece .! Hardly worth the chewing effort .. She needs to up the ante to go in with the Gummy Bears .. Oh and drop the Goth' lipstick .. 

IMG_20190425_185154.jpg

9 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

5 mg per piece .! Hardly worth the chewing effort .. She needs to up the ante to go in with the Gummy Bears .. Oh and drop the Goth' lipstick .. 

IMG_20190425_185154.jpg

Those are soooooo gnarly dude......

16 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Beauty queen?

She got hit hard with the ugly stick in subsequent years then. 

Fell from the top of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm lost here...

How does Thailand legalizing marijuana for supposedly only medical purposes, and I thought that was supposed to include only when prescribed by a doctor or some other official source, suddenly somehow transform into permission for Thai private entrepreneurs to start producing, selling and exporting marijuana-laced sweets to the general public for recreational use???

She’s in the USA. The title is misleading.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:43 PM, DLock said:

The headline is somewhat misleading...

"Weed-laced Thai sweets heading to 30 US states"

...and what year did she win Miss Thailand World...1954? 

And "Kanja Witch"...yeah, I can see that.

At least she has beauty whether it was sometime ago or now as human, which I reckon is more than any of you NON George Clooney look alikes can claim I bet.

The woman also has the smarts to make more money than most of us can even think of making, let alone achieve.

Such unworthy comments by men about women.

10 hours ago, dcnx said:

She’s in the USA. The title is misleading.

Ahhh.... nowhere in the OP article does it actually say that or even suggest it... But, that would explain how/why....

The only location info in the article AFAICT is the photo talking about the pair appearing at a news conference here at Ramkhamhaeng University...

Archived