Paying for own work permit

This has been discussed several times before. Some schools pay for WP issuance and renewal, some don't. It's also been mentioned before 'new regulation' is just fluff, in fact there is no rule from the Ed. ministry in regard to who pays. 

This has been discussed several times before. Some schools pay for WP issuance and renewal, some don't. It's also been mentioned before 'new regulation' is just fluff, in fact there is no rule from the Ed. ministry in regard to who pays. 

I agree. Plus the whole work permit issue isn’t really under the Ministry of Education per se. The permitting process really is the domain of the Ministry of Labour. So I personally would be hard pressed to see a situation whereby regulations set by Ministry A would be automatically and unilaterally applied to processed that fall squarely under the jurisdiction of Ministry B - unless Ministry B “signed off” on such or such regulation was unilaterally imposed by larger governmental/court action.

I do agree that some, I dare say the majority, of schools do pay (either upfront, upon issuance or reimburse after contract fulfillment) for cost of the work permit for their teachers. My opinion is that the opposite is true for the cost of extensions of stay (for employment purposes) — that seems to me to usually be borne by the employee him/herself. However there will always be exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Also depends of course on the level of education. I've had Work Permits from 3 high profile Thai universities, I had to pay every time for the initial issuance and the renewals.

I can't comment on who pays the visa csts, I have PR to visa stuff not an issue. 

10 hours ago, username415 said:

My school is telling me that the MoE made a new rule that all foreign teachers must pay for their own work permit.  Does anyone else no about this or is being told this same thing? 

Know, I don't no about this, arjarn.  ????

I'm on my 4th year at 2 different schools & have never had to pay for my work permit or visa or extension but I'm sure it depends on what it says in your contract of employment. So I suggest you read that, if they do expect you to pay, unless the job is extremely well paid 50k/month plus I'd find another school.....

I worked in two schools over four years and never had to pay for my work permit. Then the third school took me to the Labour dept who granted my work permit, then the Head of the English Dept asked me to pay for it, I refused and never applied for another job since.

Didn't pay for work permit at CCC, Payap University International Business MBA and International College programs for 10 years, and RMUTL Chiangmai. Payap took care of filing taxes for International Ajarn. Only thing is I had to go to Labor Office to take documents. I know many of the other schools pay poorly and make you take care of being legal in your own.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpwz0H49YAg1-y_JENkVF       220px-Moe_Szyslak.png

Uncle Moe aint knowing anything about

Workpermit but he said who drink his beer

they pay the bills or they get the kick in the

seventh planet.

donim is volunteer and has always paid his own workpermit

shouldn't the company pay that or the fee lower to free?

Foreigners working here for a salary, why is the moan of

company not paying for the foreigner papers. It is what

salary are for, paying for your own dues.

Enough with the snarky spelling comments.   Continue and face a suspension.   It's trolling and it's off-topic.  

As far as a 'regulation', I highly doubt it.   I don't know of any place, agency, department, ministry or even private business that cares who pays for anything.   They care that it gets paid for and that's about it.

My school always pays for the work permit and visa extension.  And it is paying yet again for the new school year beginning next month.  I seriously doubt that there is any new regulation.  I think your school is just being cheap.

Archived