Selling a car in Thailand

jayboy

Over the years never has a problem or any issues but then always sold to a dealer who takes care of all the paperwork , all I had to do was sign the papers and count the money.  Not sure of the actual procedure if selling direct to a third party though.

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Over the years never has a problem or any issues but then always sold to a dealer who takes care of all the paperwork , all I had to do was sign the papers and count the money.  Not sure of the actual procedure if selling direct to a third party though.

Thanks.What about the insurance? Do I just cancel it?

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Thanks.What about the insurance? Do I just cancel it?

That's a good question. Can honestly say I am not sure as I always assumed I signed a form transferring it to a new owner after all it is the car that is insured, not the driver. But as I say, and even after selling several cars here, not sure but have always made that assumption.

Insurance is on the car and is sold with it (if still valid). You need the docs from DLT (or go there together with the buyer). Certificate of residence or work permit from you and if the buyer is falang, same for him.

That's a good question. Can honestly say I am not sure as I always assumed I signed a form transferring it to a new owner after all it is the car that is insured, not the driver. But as I say, and even after selling several cars here, not sure but have always made that assumption.

Thanks. I assumed that would be the case but wondered whether it made sense to let the insurance company know anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As the Seller you don't need to go to the DLT.  You just need signed copies of: 

- Passports (ID & Visa page)

- Vehicle Transfer form

- Power of Attorney 

- Signed Copies of Blue Book (green if motorcycle)

(The seller doesn't need affirmation of address, the buyer does).

(In Bangkok I've sold 1 car (last year) and 1 motorcycle (3 months ago) - the process and documents for the 'seller' are the same selling to a Thai or Foreigner).

You can sign the documents on transfer of cash - the new owner is the only person who needs to visit the DLT (if the vehicle is younger than 7 years)

This thread is quite useful and has the documents required. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/985591-transfer-of-ownership-farang-to-farang/

Regarding insurance - IF the policy is not Named Driver - the insurance policy can simply be transferred with the vehicle - The new Owner can inform the insurance company of the transfer (but most generally don't bother - its not a big issue. If I were a new owner, I'd inform them and double check any limitations on the policy, but thats purely down to the new owner).

15 minutes ago, pikao said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The seller doesn't need affirmation of address, the buyer does

Not true, at least not where I live

OK - I'll clarify that - Having sold a Car 15 months ago and Motorcycle 2 month ago and numerous cars over the past 15 years or so (all in Bangkok)

The seller does not need to present an Affirmation of Address in Bangkok (DLT Area 3).

I've been asked for it, by the person buying the car, but when they double checked it was not necessary. 

I've also been asked for the document by the staff at the DLT, but also informed them it was only necessary for the buyer not the seller - after double checking with a supervisor the Affirmation of Address of the Seller was not necessary.

That said: Rules here are interpreted differently by different staff and by provinces. 

Personally - I've never needed the Affirmation of Residence when selling a car or motorcycle in Bangkok. 

Archived