Millions spent, but central Pattaya roadworks fail to end flooding

Rimmer

Millions spent, but central Pattaya roadworks fail to end flooding

Nattapong Santaveesuk of the city�s Engineering Department toured two sidestreets in the Soi Arunothai Community with neighborhood representative Amnuay Muangthong. Central Pattaya residents are complaining that nearly 3 million baht in roadwork has failed to alleviate the flooding it targeted.

PATTAYA:--Central Pattaya residents are complaining that nearly 3 million baht in roadwork has failed to alleviate the flooding it targeted.

Nattapong Santaveesuk of the city’s Engineering Department toured two sidestreets in the Soi Arunothai Community with neighborhood representative Amnuay Muangthong on April 22.

Residents living on Soi Charoensuk and Soi Udomsuk said their streets were ripped up, new drainage pipes laid and the road resurfaced all with the goal of ending years of chronic flooding.
It didn’t work.

Read more:https://www.pattayamail.com/news/millions-spent-but-central-pattaya-roadworks-fail-to-end-flooding-253277

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-04-25--

"Finished this month, both projects are under warranty for two more years, so contractors may be sent back to rip up the roads again to fix what they failed to do the first time."

Yeah right, as if that'll happen before the companies get wound up.

It didn't stop the flooding ? Oh my there's a surprise. For one moment I never think that millions of baht expenditure sanctioned by any Thai authority, especially Pattaya City Hall,  has got anything to do with fixing anything, other than someone elses bank balance.????

20 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Is it a case of the main drain unable to contain the rain then .. 

One day Somchai Newton will sit under a tree and a durian will fall on his head, then he will understand the concept of "Gravity"!

I would have thought that the construction company just follows the design specs. If it was not designed/engineered properly don't blame the construction company. On the other hand, if the size of the sewer drains were downsized to skim money, that would be their fault. Not really sure. Just send down an inspector.

Often we see new concrete pavements with drainage pipes and drainage pits with grating, in the centre of the road.

No problem, except that usually there is a crown (high spot) in the centre to shed the rain.

Civil engineering in Thailand is quite hopeless....the ancient Egyptians and Romans had a much better sense of levels than what occurs here!

It is a bottomless pit!  Jobs are handed out contractors know full well they problem can't be fixed and the so call engineer knows nothing about engineer but is most likely an accountant that knows how to laundry his money for the same project.

Drains are too small for the volume of water then the drains go nowhere the water goes into those new pipes that lead all down to the beach road the massive volume makes a runoff path into the sea once that happens the flow is stopped and starts to back up. The longer it rains the more area starts to flood since the runoff water has nowhere to go so they back up from the drains onto the roads. ????

It's just easy: not a glue of an idea doing first a concept of drainage all!!! the places before start any work that ends up in a disaster. But yes, it fills up many pockets and empties quick the pocket of the city and the people of Thailand.  But well that's business as usual and mostly nobody complain. Just the crazy foreigners. Better get rid of them.555555

I have given up trying to be positive whenever I see a new Pattaya city project- always done with unqualified people, cheap labor, and no maintenance budgeted for up keep (beach promenade and sidewalks for example) And the so called “engineer” that oversee the restoration of the Pattaya Beach didn’t take care of the flooding first along Beach Road before hauling in a zillion tons of sand is an embarrassment to the city. Contract a foreign company to do the city projects ( Japan, Italy, Germany, Australia...) It would be cheaper in the long run. 

10 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

It didn't stop the flooding ? Oh my there's a surprise. For one moment I never think that millions of baht expenditure sanctioned by any Thai authority, especially Pattaya City Hall,  has got anything to do with fixing anything, other than someone elses bank balance.????

Call in the Dutch, let's build a big dike/wall starting at sukumvit road and encircling Pattaya.  add some massive pumps, etc.

20 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Call in the Dutch, let's build a big dike/wall starting at sukumvit road and encircling Pattaya.  add some massive pumps, etc.

They are the best hydraulic engineers in the world. I have read that years ago the Dutch did send a proposal for flood control to the Thai government but that the Dutch refused to pay bribes to the locals. They refused so Somchai Inc. got the job(s) instead and the results are obvious. 

18 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"Finished this month, both projects are under warranty for two more years, so contractors may be sent back to rip up the roads again to fix what they failed to do the first time."

Yeah right, as if that'll happen before the companies get wound up.

Is it the fault of the contractor... or more likely the piss poor engineering design. Never ceases to amaze me, no journalist ever asks the simplest of questions.

18 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Is it a case of the main drain unable to contain the rain then .. 

Very much so, a common sight when it is raining heavily around Pattaya is water coming up out of the drainage system. 

(Also a lot of creepy critters).

19 hours ago, smedly said:

they haven't figured out that water flows down not up

They're still under the impression water flows up-hill, same as all the wasted money...

time for a shake-up at city hall engineering department, someone is working there under false pretenses!

17 hours ago, Ulic said:

I would have thought that the construction company just follows the design specs. If it was not designed/engineered properly don't blame the construction company. On the other hand, if the size of the sewer drains were downsized to skim money, that would be their fault. Not really sure. Just send down an inspector.

do they have any inspectors....if so are they QUALIFIED????

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They're still under the impression water flows up-hill, same as all the wasted money...

time for a shake-up at city hall engineering department, someone is working there under false pretenses!

True. Thais do not understand the concept of "slope". I spent a fortune on the last house I had built trying to make water flow the proper direction.

19 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Is it the fault of the contractor... or more likely the piss poor engineering design. Never ceases to amaze me, no journalist ever asks the simplest of questions.

With defamation laws like they are, ya figure that maybe the journalists did ask, and decided not to risk their money and their freedom by publishing the answer?  Or, maybe the journalist did report the details and the editor decided to cut out anything that could cost them the company?

Archived