Strong growth from key markets compensate for slight dip in Chinese tourists

webfact

15 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I was chatting with an English couple here on Samui who had just flown in from Chaing Mai having cut their holiday short up there because of the smoke pollution. But who in the government cares a hoot.

The PM who promised to fix it in 7 days - those days are all gone, so he may have meant 7 weeks, 7 months or 7 years - what it ultimately ends with remains to be seen except for those who cannot … ????

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those figures are total tourists incl internal? I remember total in the 30 millions, foreign overnight arrivals as 21 million.

The article skims the surface. What would be interesting is to know why they come to Thailand, where they go and what are they buying.

Two female Chinese guests invited me to dinner. They had left husbands and children behind, they were not at the hotel every night they had booked and paid for. They bought me the most expensive dish on the menu, a seafood platter just because Id asked for fish. Throwaway remark, but food in mouth or not makes no difference to whether they talk - not congenial! They work at an internet company selling herbal remedies, one does the images and truly spectacular quality.

Conversation was limited but I tried to find answers to above questions. They said several times with a slightly contemptuous sneer that "Thailand is cheap".

I have no complaints about the Chinese, not really, because they present well though they seem to think they are the only ones on the street, and they do spend freely.

17 hours ago, BestB said:

Yes tourist numbers are rising, while at the same time hotels reporting low occupancy so all the million of tourists must staying under some trees

Mass tourism which wears down the infrastructure, causes  more traffic jams & air pollution, more litter, ruins the once scenic beaches and resort towns...where profit is more important than taking care of the safety of tourists is  the wrong choice for the well-being of Thailand’s future. In a generation from now, it will be one worn out, dismal “land of sadness”. ( Do the Thais know why upper class Westerners are no longer returning to Thailand?) 

Numbers can be easily manipulate to make false claimes, which is common practise in Thailand...

I wonder if that tourist figure includes transit travellers plus business/employment travellers?

I do not beleive the figure published. As in most cases, Thai tend to big everything up and lie in the process of doing so.

1 hour ago, Sonhia said:

Numbers can be easily manipulate to make false claimes, which is common practise in Thailand...

I wonder if that tourist figure includes transit travellers plus business/employment travellers?

I do not beleive the figure published. As in most cases, Thai tend to big everything up and lie in the process of doing so.

And dont forget the 1000's doing their visa runs every 30 days or so!! 

There will be more and more tourists everywhere. Let's take my impressions here in Pattaya. First we "westerners" came, then the Russians, then the Chinese in groups, then in addition Chinese individual travelers and now you see more and more Indian travelers. This all reflects the increasing wealth in these countries. On the other hand you get more tourist destinations like Vietnam, Cambodia and others. But I am afraid to find an island like for instance Koh Samui was 30 years ago will be harder and harder. Today I wouldn't go there anymore. Mass tourism will be sadly the future everywhere. You see it here. You see it in Europe - in the end everywhere more and more. Even on the Mount Everest ????

10 hours ago, madmen said:

A drop of sand in the desert.  tens of millions to replace him and what a loser to ask if he should go.

I see a place I research and book most certainly dont listen to jaded expats with agendas especially if they refuse to leave the country themselves 

Listen to someone who has lived here or base your information off the Thai government and tourist brochures.  Hmmmm. That's a hard one.

You could have fooled me, Pattaya absolutely dead this year. I’ve been through it worked out they had approximately 9 reasonably weeks this year. Desperate at the moment I’m at a 150 room resort along with the other 4 guests. One upside to it is the 2000 condos they can’t give away will soon be 3 for 50 baht might invest then but still have my doubts whether a good deal or not.

7 minutes ago, Caine said:

One upside to it is the 2000 condos they can’t give away will soon be 3 for 50 baht might invest then but still have my doubts whether a good deal or not.

Just be aware that anybody opening a bar in front of your investment and creating a lot of noise can ruin your investment. Happened to me and some friends at other locations here in Pattaya. And we tried everything - talking to the bar owner, talking to the police and complaining at the City Hall many times. Nothing ever changed. Bars seem to be above the law. 

10 hours ago, Melbun said:

Well I explained myself quite well to the last irrelevant comment about how some hate Thailand. What more can I add. Good disappear as well. Try somewhere else - why the need to inform the whole community about your outrage.

It's not Thailand I hate, it's the junta and other assorted untouchables. The only way they are going to go away is hard sanctions from the west. Shutting down tourism is one, it's the least I can do, as Thais don't seem to be able to get rid of the a-holes. Every little bit counts, these days social media is the kingmaker and eventualy things go viral when you bang the drum long enough.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

It's not Thailand I hate, it's the junta and other assorted untouchables. The only way they are going to go away is hard sanctions from the west. Shutting down tourism is one, it's the least I can do, as Thais don't seem to be able to get rid of the a-holes. Every little bit counts, these days social media is the kingmaker and eventualy things go viral when you bang the drum long enough.

Turner - It must be hard elevating yourself to such dizzying heights. Don't you get nose bleeds ??

Shutting down tourism ?? as a solution ?? And who are these a-holes. I guess your narcissism precludes you from being one ??

You have zero influence. In case you have not comprehended it - you are a farang and a visitor. Accept the politics or disappear.

14 hours ago, Traubert said:

Errr....have you heard the word 'season' before?

Have you ever done compound nouns which combines words like 'high' and 'low' with 'season?'

Have you heard of Spring Festival, when 630m Chinese go home for the hol....

Why on earth am I bothering.?

Erm, why would a knowledgeable person like you bother, indeed...

When January and February would not, for you, be 'high season', fine, and that you seem not to know the chinese 'spring festival' (the official 7 day holiday period) does end on the eve of the chinese new year, which was on February 5th this year, also fine...

But why on earth would I be bothering?

Cheers

On 4/25/2019 at 11:45 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

So this article is pretty much the opposite of

Lol? Thailand should import some real journalists i guess. 

I consider everything from Dan Cheeseman to be apologist propaganda 

It may well reflect on the corporate world and the higher end package tours, but on the streets no way.

Take a walk around Sin city (Pattaya) and it's hardly heaving with activity. 

Some places do shorter hours.

Several have girls on 3000 a month survival salary, plus whatever the lady drinks and the odd horizontal workout brings.

And the punters are not Chinese. 

And you guessed it, no tips.

"Oh we pay tip to tour guide..."

Is this the vision for Thailands future?

Its not paying the people who work on the streets. 

• 3 weeks later...

why are all of these misleading numbers published? Is it to maintain consumer confidence for business and individuals in the tourism industry or is it because the government does not want to admit they have no idea how to mange the economy and the factors that impact it?

Archived