Phuket - Retirement extention - 800k

1 hour ago, wobalt said:

No it is not easier to get an extension , 400k/800 k ?house visits etc?
If you need re entry how much?
For a visa I just drop In no silly questions Same day finished

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, you just drop in for a visa. Where exactly do you drop in?

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, attrayant said:
On 4/25/2019 at 2:39 PM, Joe Mcseismic said:

If the seasoning rules have been breached at any time, for what ever reason, your original visa will be cancelled.

What does one have to do when their original visa is cancelled?  Head from immigration immediately to the airport?

Worst case example - possibly on "overstay" since you went under the limit(s).   No way to know until this happens to someone - and policy would likely vary by office, since no guidance on how to handle this situation exists in the "new rules."

On 4/27/2019 at 11:23 AM, jacko45k said:

But if you are applying for a new extension that will only be a matter of 30 days before expiry, or less!  So, presuming no retroactive overstay, a person will be expected to leave the country soon. Hence be needing to exit, return with a tourist waiver, and perhaps apply for a conversion to a Non-Imm-O entry. Start again. No seasoning required. 

Would be simpler to just exit and return without a re-entry permit.

Maybe with a new passport and new bank-account one could try this.   Still, they might see your last extension in the computer, then demand bank-statements showing you didn't drop-below the artificial minimums on that extension.  Again,  no indication in the "new rules," so who knows? 

But, it is clear that at many offices, they only do "retail price" extensions (w/o agent-money) if you have a perfect application/docs.   Any "leniency" must be paid for.  The new rules create more ways even honest, well-intentioned applicants can make an error (ex: under 400K, or miss a monthly-xfer), and lose perfect-application status.  Efforts to "get around the rules," without the requisite extra-cash accompanying the application, are likely to be troublesome.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, Caine said:

I see the dodgy retirement visas are still available, at the right price especially around Pattaya. I wonder how much longer this will go on.

I see no evidence they want to stop this - if anything, they encourage more of it with every policy change, as those changes only affect honest in-person applicants.

If they wanted to stop people getting extensions they didn't qualify for, they would have left the rules as they were, and shut down the agent-system - not changed the "seasoning requirements" to be a PITA to honest-applicants, while seasoning is never enforced for agent-applications. 

On 4/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, chilly07 said:

Can anyone give an example of a bank letter? Lots of references to them but no examples. Do they vary according to Immigration Office or Bank?

Don't worry. They know what they need to do. They list your bank accounts with the balance and write how long you have been their customer. At my bank you can get the letter in Thai or English. The immigration at least in Jomtien does not care. Better you ask for an English version so that you can check if everything is correct. Important is that you have a posting in your bank book on the same day when the letter is issued. So deposit for instance 100 Baht. I did all this the day before the application and Jomtien had no problem with this. 

1 hour ago, wobalt said:

Honorary consulate essen Germany

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

Ok, so all we need to do is buy a ticket to Germany, make our way to Essen, apply and return again to Phuket. Sorry, I think an extension is easier.

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, Caine said:

I see the dodgy retirement visas are still available, at the right price especially around Pattaya. I wonder how much longer this will go on.

I don't think of the agent approach to extensions to stay as being "dodgy".     Dodgy to me involves a criminal action and especially harm to others.   

I use the 800K deposit method but harbor no negative feelings toward those who use an agent.    If I had the need and desire I'd certainly use an agent to reach an extension stay.

Just got back from getting my retirement extension at Phuket immigration. All plain sailing.

I asked how they were going to check the new money seasoning requirements?

They told me that they will not be checking during 90 day reports, but, will check on the next extension request.

If the seasoning rules have been breached at any time, for what ever reason, your original visa will be cancelled.

He also confirmed that the 800k in the bank starts at two months before application. Seems they have read the rules as the last I heard, they were insisting on three months.

One other possible glitch. I told the bank staff that was getting me the immigration letters, that next year they would have to supply a statement for a full year instead of the present three months. She told me that the branches can issue these statement for up to six months, but a statement for the full year has to come from Bangkok and takes from five to seven days. This is Bangkok Bank.

If you update via a payment the day before you go to immigration that will show any drop below the 800/400k, did they actualy say you need a 1 yr statement? your bank book does not lie!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Only Baht 200k is needed in the bank for retirement visa extension if your visa has been continuously extended for retirement since 21 October 1998.   This is according to the Immigration Dept website (Criteria for retirement, para 6a). 

Two questions: 1) has anyone managed to pull this off? 2) what happens if you have been here continuously for 20+ years but initially on a different kind of visa (e.g. Non-Imm + work permit)?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 11:53 AM, auntyedna said:

Only Baht 200k is needed in the bank for retirement visa extension if your visa has been continuously extended for retirement since 21 October 1998.   This is according to the Immigration Dept website (Criteria for retirement, para 6a). 

I don't doubt your claim as I suspect you've taken the time to research it.

The problem as I see it would be correcting and overruling the Immigration Officer  who is positive such a thing doesn't exist.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:53 AM, auntyedna said:

Two questions: 1) has anyone managed to pull this off? 2) what happens if you have been here continuously for 20+ years but initially on a different kind of visa (e.g. Non-Imm + work permit)?

You have to of been on extension of stay based upon retirement continuously since October of 1998 and were 60 years old or over at that time. If between the age of 55 and 59 on that date it is 500k baht in the bank.