Not sure about taking bp meds.

mommysboy

One week later, and having taken the bp meds there hasn't been a jot of difference really. I'm told they should be at the peak of effectiveness by now.  I would estimate that my resting bp first thing is 115/70, give or take, and it was around that when I started taking them.

The major reason for raised bp for me seems to be worry/anxiety.  If I sit down stressed then I can count on 130/80. If I am particularly vexed, then it's sky high.  Anxiety is the concern.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

One week later, and having taken the bp meds there hasn't been a jot of difference really. I'm told they should be at the peak of effectiveness by now.  I would estimate that my resting bp first thing is 115/70, give or take, and it was around that when I started taking them.

The major reason for raised bp for me seems to be worry/anxiety.  If I sit down stressed then I can count on 130/80. If I am particularly vexed, then it's sky high.  Anxiety is the concern.

I don't understand why you would been on meds. Those readings are already ideal.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I don't understand why you would been on meds. Those readings are already ideal.

Yes. Well I seem to be very much effected by anxiety, so that in the hospital setting my reading is frequently 160/86 (say)m which is hypertension.  And anxiety kind of defines my working life really; most especially because of an inability to balance the books at the moment.  I'm in my late 50's and I don't want to be at extremes if at all possible.

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes. Well I seem to be very much effected by anxiety, so that in the hospital setting my reading is frequently 160/86 (say)m which is hypertension.  And anxiety kind of defines my working life really; most especially because of an inability to balance the books at the moment.  I'm in my late 50's and I don't want to be at extremes if at all possible.

Never used to be a problem for me, but I have noticed that over the past couple of years my blood pressure goes up when I visit hospital. Get home and measure it again and it is back down (white coat syndrome). While, I do not feel particularly stressed, I nevertheless tell myself to relax - to no avail. I think I have started to stress over hospital visits without realizing it.   

48 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Never used to be a problem for me, but I have noticed that over the past couple of years my blood pressure goes up when I visit hospital. Get home and measure it again and it is back down (white coat syndrome). While, I do not feel particularly stressed, I nevertheless tell myself to relax - to no avail. I think I have started to stress over hospital visits without realizing it.   

Yes that's the funny thing: you don't feel particularly stressed- not manic or shaking.

One important thing for taller people: the set up in a Thai hospital is for people much shorter, and even using their pad it is likely to leave your arm in a downward position with the cuff below heart level. Your arm actually needs to be well up and slightly crooked, otherwise the reading will be 10 points or more too high.

• 3 weeks later...

Without medication, my first bp reading of the day now typically registers somewhere between 95/65, and 115/75. Even allowing for margin of error with the machine, that seems fine to me.  I've switched over to a fitness regime more age appropriate: light aerobic with some weights with increased frequency and less duration.  Sleep/relaxation seems to be extremely important in my case.

Archived