Bus conductor slapped over fare rise

snoop1130

Bus conductor slapped over fare rise 

By Kornsamon Aksorndej 
The Nation

37925d2e1d38a216ef64554789ef59c0-sld.jpeg

A passenger on the 95 bus seemed unprepared to pay the increased bus fare on Thursday and reportedly slapped a conductor.

Sone Jaipa, 54, conductor on the bus that links Bangkhen and Ramkamhaeng, filed a complaint with Bangkhen police that a man, aged about 30, attacked her on the bus.

She said the man got on the bus at km4 and gave her Bt6.50. Sone told him the fare had increased to Bt8.

The visibly upset passenger shouted: “You can ask me politely. I have the money to pay for the fare.” 

They then argued and he hit her across the face.

Other passengers restrained the man, who jumped from the vehicle and escaped on another bus.

The conductor said she did not know the man but a colleague said someone meeting his description had attacked other bus conductors in the area.

The Central Administrative Court is scheduled to deliver a verdict tomorrow (Friday) after activists asked it to postpone the increase in bus fares that took effect on Monday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368373

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-25

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

What a jerk, it's not the bus company employees who decide the bus fares.

That's right. It is the junta government that decided it. They delayed the increase until after the election hoping not to lose votes. 

Now PM Prayut is squirming and criticizing the decision made by the Central Land Transport. This is just his usual form to blame someone else for decisions made by his cronies.  

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096948-government-to-ease-impact-of-bus-fare-rises/

The government and greedy elite companies need to recognise that when your average Thai Joe/Jane earns so little, you can't just keep on squeezing them. Even if you raise the minimum wage by a pitiful amount, then you have to try to stop greedy business just rising their prices so that the wage rise does not just end up in indifferent companies pockets. It is true though that the guy in the report is a moron as the conductor is just doing as told. If you are going to subsidize something then travel is it.

3 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

That's right. It is the junta government that decided it. They delayed the increase until after the election hoping not to lose votes. 

Now PM Prayut is squirming and criticizing the decision made by the Central Land Transport. This is just his usual form to blame someone else for decisions made by his cronies.  

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096948-government-to-ease-impact-of-bus-fare-rises/

I think bus fares are quite cheap in Thailand, even for the poorest Thais.

Since many years, there have not been significant increases, so i would welcome some increase in the fares, if it helps in reducing the accidents.

14 hours ago, Pravda said:

The air-con bus I usually take increased from 13b to 20b

Of course it is not a big deal to me, but almost 40% raise is terrible for normal people.

For normal people?

That makes you abnormal then?

15 hours ago, Pravda said:

The air-con bus I usually take increased from 13b to 20b

Of course it is not a big deal to me, but almost 40% raise is terrible for normal people.

Just another example of the rampant inflation in Thailand. In 'normal' countries prices might increase by at the most five per cent, but in Thailand it is often 20 per cent or more. And that, obviously, is why Thailand is no longer the bargain that it once was.

And again, we have an example of the anger and aggression that lurks just below the surface here. Maybe the rapid price rises are a small part of that.

34 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just another example of the rampant inflation in Thailand. In 'normal' countries prices might increase by at the most five per cent, but in Thailand it is often 20 per cent or more. And that, obviously, is why Thailand is no longer the bargain that it once was.

And again, we have an example of the anger and aggression that lurks just below the surface here. Maybe the rapid price rises are a small part of that.

BUT the fares were not raised many years, whereas the fares in "normal" countries (whatever that means??) raise fares 5% EVERY year!

Thailand is not the bargain that it once was, because the bus got 1.5 baht more expensive? :cheesy:

14 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

The government and greedy elite companies need to recognise that when your average Thai Joe/Jane earns so little, you can't just keep on squeezing them. Even if you raise the minimum wage by a pitiful amount, then you have to try to stop greedy business just rising their prices so that the wage rise does not just end up in indifferent companies pockets. 

So the BMTA is a greedy elite company?  That's a new one....

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

That's the kind of passengers you get. People with class don't take bus here. 

People with class also don't settle in the sex capital of the world, yet here you are.

33 minutes ago, Cheops said:

BUT the fares were not raised many years, whereas the fares in "normal" countries (whatever that means??) raise fares 5% EVERY year!

Thailand is not the bargain that it once was, because the bus got 1.5 baht more expensive? :cheesy:

I think you'll find it's not only bus fares that have increased. And elsewhere prices - not just fares - do indeed increase every year - which means you don't suddenly get hit with a 20-30 price rise in one go. I know which I prefer.

15 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I think bus fares are quite cheap in Thailand, even for the poorest Thais.

Since many years, there have not been significant increases, so i would welcome some increase in the fares, if it helps in reducing the accidents.

How does raising the fare reduce accidents? I am not sure I follow? 

4 minutes ago, jonclark said:

How does raising the fare reduce accidents? I am not sure I follow? 

Really ? Every time there is an accident you can see the TVF crowd up in arms, screaming for better drivers, better buses, and that boring thing called maintenance , all those things don't come for free.

Don't you think that a better service comes at a higher price ?

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

yawwwwwwwwnnnnnn !

It is 1.5 baht <deleted> - can you name me a country please that is devoid of humans being violent towards each other ?

I'm from the UK - Thailand is a bargain ! (but then again I'm not expecting everything for next to nothing)

Yawwwwwwwnnnnn! Someone who has difficulty in understanding what they read. I wasn't referring only to bus fares. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. I also didn't write that Thailand is the only place where violence takes place. But as you reference the UK, there is great concern today that the annual murder rate there has risen to just over 700. The latest figure I can find for Thailand is 3300. Same population size. Some countries are indeed more violent than others, and Thais are very quick to anger. Everyone who lives there for any length of time knows that.

Thailand is indeed a bargain if you are happy with the low quality of many products on sale. If you want UK/European quality it will cost you the same or more in Thailand. Especially for good quality food. I'm sure that if you wander around a supermarket in the UK you'll notice the difference. In Spain even more so, where better quality food is at a fraction of the Thai price.

How long have you had your rose-coloured glasses?

16 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

The government and greedy elite companies need to recognise that when your average Thai Joe/Jane earns so little, you can't just keep on squeezing them. Even if you raise the minimum wage by a pitiful amount, then you have to try to stop greedy business just rising their prices so that the wage rise does not just end up in indifferent companies pockets. It is true though that the guy in the report is a moron as the conductor is just doing as told. If you are going to subsidize something then travel is it.

Thailand is at a tipping point at the moment.. social frustration is coming to the surface everyday now.
This case might look petty, which it is but the strain is evident: "the straw that broke the camels back" analogy comes to mind. People are tired & frustrated at the lack of a real government & the dictatorship of the resent regime, they were given a chance this year of a free vote/voice which for so long had been stymied, but that now looks to have been rigged all along.

Expect more every day as people tip over the edge..
When the final count from the election is given expect more trouble 

Thailand is at a tipping point at the moment.. social frustration is coming to the surface everyday now.
This case might look petty, which it is but the strain is evident: "the straw that broke the camels back" analogy comes to mind. People are tired & frustrated at the lack of a real government & the dictatorship of the resent regime, they were given a chance this year of a free vote/voice which for so long had been stymied, but that now looks to have been rigged all along.
Expect more every day as people tip over the edge..
When the final count from the election is given expect more trouble 

Another nail in the tourism coffin
The condo bubble is about to burst
The Thai Baht will crash
All expats are leaving

Absolutely

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Really ? Every time there is an accident you can see the TVF crowd up in arms, screaming for better drivers, better buses, and that boring thing called maintenance , all those things don't come for free.

You really think the extra money from a fare increase will be spent on improving the driving skills of the drivers and maintenance of buses? I admire your optimism.  

9 minutes ago, jonclark said:

You really think the extra money from a fare increase will be spent on improving the driving skills of the drivers and maintenance of buses? I admire your optimism.  

But that is what is meant to happen....

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The visibly upset passenger shouted: “You can ask me politely. I have the money to pay for the fare.” 

They then argued

I think this was the reason for the slapping, nothing to do with 1.5 baht fare hike.

This to me is a key. If I ran it, I would “peg” any increase - or decrease - to that of the annual operating cost index inflation adjusted... so each year there would most likely be some level of change - be that B0.50 up or even 0.25 down, whatever the math reveals.

What I would avoid is a situation where no increase are put up for X years - say 3 years for example - they are put up some percentage.. it’s my opinion that the conversation will only be about the new fare hike and nothing about the fact there was no increase in past years... it’s human nature as I see it.

So... I would insure that *any* mathematically supported increase or decrease in cost, was implemented yearly... I guess IMHO, it’s publicly more palatable to do an annual 1% rise or the like, than it is go with 0% for 3 years, then a 4% hike in the fourth year... only the 4% is going to get coverage - not the fact that the preceding 3 years where without increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

This is Thailand? higher prices means more for the "higher" ups, service generally goes down.  ????

Least we have evidence of this fine upstanding companies investment in their buses and how seriously they take environmental pollution ????

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

I think this was the reason for the slapping, nothing to do with 1.5 baht fare hike.

Right, slap the conductor, and then complain about lack of politeness, that makes sense.

31 minutes ago, CGW said:

This is Thailand? higher prices means more for the "higher" ups, service generally goes down.  ????

Least we have evidence of this fine upstanding companies investment in their buses and how seriously they take environmental pollution ????

Surely the authorities are making some pressure on the private bus companies to improve the accident record and the environmental impact, the result will include higher prices, you can't have it both ways.

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

Well, in Western countries it has happened, the quality and the safety record of transportation has been improving, and the prices increasing, don't you think it will happen in Thailand ?

Archived