So we need air conditioning!

JRG23

Hi so this hot weather has got the missus grumbling. We need an AC in the living room.

We need 24,000 BTU. We live Klong Sam Wa. I don't want to buy from HomePro.

Does anyone know a good brand - so many to choose from! Samsung? LG? Mitsubishi? Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know a good place to buy from (with installation) near where we live?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers. J

Why not homepro? 

I have sharp inverter BTU 19,300 paid 22,000 installaed in a single small room it very quiet however you need to use a fan to help pull the air toward the direction you want the airflow hitting you otherwise it won't reach out that far. 

9 hours ago, saekret said:

Why not homepro? 

Here is why I never buy things from homepro: the horrible price markups. I have pointed this out to them many times and they simply don't care. Shame as homepro is a nice place to do shopping / online ordering.

hp.jpg.c1dde278221e9ea6dd1e7259a9e43346.jpg

11 hours ago, JRG23 said:

We need 24,000 BTU. 

I usually recommend people, when needing that much BTU for a space, to buy 2 air conditioners and put them in opposing ends of the room. In your case 2 units 12,000 BTU each. It recirculates the air much more efficiently, and if needed can only use 1 unit instead of the full 24,000 BTU single unit. 

I would NOT buy Samsung or LG. 

Personally I wouldnt buy anything other than Mitsubishi, but ive had good luck with Daikin too. 

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Here is why I never buy things from homepro: the horrible price markups. I have pointed this out to them many times and they simply don't care. Shame as homepro is a nice place to do shopping / online ordering.

Not wanna turn this topic into a HomePro thread ????

But in our area HomePro unfortunately is the only one that has stock.

Other shops, just say, "No have" or "Old Model" or the one I like the most "That Model doesn't exist" (even when you show them the brochure from the Manufacturer) ????

Just now, MJCM said:

Not wanna turn this topic into a HomePro thread ????

But in our area HomePro unfortunately is the only one that has stock.

Other shops, just say, "No have" or "Old Model" or the one I like the most "That Model doesn't exist" (even when you show them the brochure from the Manufacturer) ????

Why not use Lazada? last two AC (Daikin) bought from Lazada and had fitted.

our mitsubishi lasted for over 10 years and we now have replaced it with a daikin inverter, both are reliable with daikin being much quieter. There are a few chinese ones you need to avoid, they are cheaper and not really reliable. We have LG units in our units and they have problems already(4 years old), have heard the same thing on samsung.

The Daiken model shown in the price comparison is a top-end model with features most folks are unlikely to need or appreciate.

Look for the FTKC models, Smile Plus.

Have a look at the super smart FTKM series, much better SEER than the FTKC series but also a tad more expensive;)

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What about warranty, installer error ?? How they deal with that ?

Quick story, bought a Daikin from Lazada, paid to have fitted - there was a problem with the vane being broken - fitters could do nothing - called Daikin - they arrived in less than 24 hours changed broken parts with no worries at all - they stand by their warranty.

Daikin have the best product on the market now, before I would have said Mitsu but the control system/electronics on Daikin is much better now, had all sorts of problems with the last Mitsu we bought, the electronics were too complex for the fitters.

Quick story, bought a Daikin from Lazada, paid to have fitted - there was a problem with the vane being broken - fitters could do nothing - called Daikin - they arrived in less than 24 hours changed broken parts with no worries at all - they stand by their warranty.

Daikin have the best product on the market now, before I would have said Mitsu but the control system/electronics on Daikin is much better now, had all sorts of problems with the last Mitsu we bought, the electronics were too complex for the fitters.

Have a look at my thread in the electrical forum, no issues here with Daikin, but with installers ;)

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Have a look at my thread in the electrical forum, no issues here with Daikin, but with installers ????

Luck of the draw? when you find a good one hang onto them ????  I did ask the Daikin guys what they thought of the install and they said it was good, I had used the same people before and continue to use them for servicing.

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Is that a like for like comparison? The home pro either doesn't state which Condensing Unit they use or it could be a different one,  the teddy air price is comparable to the other suppliers though the teddy air site seems to be down.

I can't find the FTXZ series on the Daikin website, so it could be discontinued or the search just doesn't work that well.

I did a google search on the Daikin site and it came back with a pdf about the FTXZ (urusara) and that was from 2014/15 so good chance it has been discontinued. Give them a call at 1271 they can tell you.

One last comparison to demonstrate the homepro inflated prices. Notice even the below homepro "sale" price is ridiculously higher than the same product found elsewhere. It doesn't matter if it is air conditioners, wood working tools, or anything else. I wouldn't buy from homepro until verifying the price is competitive. Sometimes it is, often it isn't.

hp2.jpg.b27068a6763d0103adbdfad8280332c4.jpg

17 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Does anyone know a good brand

The one a TV member buys. ???? 

Jokes apart my experience, our a/c are all old so any newer types that are out now I would replace with quieter compressors.

That said the 14 year old Samsung 12 btu is still very quiet and would replace the other Singer 9 btu, Mitsubishi 18 btu and last one bought LG 9 btu with another Samsung if the price difference didn't warrant the expense of the newer types.

I would confirm what another poster said because it sounds like you have a very big room to cool, get two air-con 12 btu units instead of one 24 btu unit.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

One last comparison to demonstrate the homepro inflated prices. Notice even the below homepro "sale" price is ridiculously higher than the same product found elsewhere. It doesn't matter if it is air conditioners, wood working tools, or anything else. I wouldn't buy from homepro until verifying the price is competitive. Sometimes it is, often it isn't.

hp2.jpg.b27068a6763d0103adbdfad8280332c4.jpg

That is certainly something worth remembering. Sadly they do have some items that are exclusive to them, though the prices don't seem to be outrageous, an example is 3M VHB tape that is a reasonable price and the Rothenburg water based polyurethanes that are the best I've found up to now.

They don't take up wall space and fitted near the centre of the room blow out in 4 directions so give much better distribution of cooling.

Exactly, and the draw the return air from the top-center of the room.

They pump the condensate out rather than relying only on gravity.

They use a hefty prop-fan rather than a squirrel-cage fan, and the fan is configured such that it stays dry, and much cleaner.

They are more expensive, but they cool the area more effectively and require less maintenance.

It is worth noting how fast the cassette segment of the mini-split market is growing as commercial applications catch on to the benefits.

I think they make for a cleaner, more attractive installation, but that is subjective.

Cost aside, the only real downside is that unless you’re pretty tall, or have low ceilings, you’ll have to stand on something to get the filter out...

26 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How’re they configured?

Sorry you are correct, the parts book tells me that I  have Propeller fan x 1  or Turbo fan (direct drive ) x 1

I was confusing the electrical connectors for the direction vanes and seeing the clean cooling fins as fans about 2 metres overhead.

Archived