Jump to content
BANGKOK 25 May 2019 11:49
MJCM

Aircon unit question (restart ;) )

Recommended Posts

as my topic unfortunately got deleted due to very strange circumstances I will update this thread with what Daikin has found out.

 

In case someone has no idea what this topic was all about here a brief synopsis.

 

=========

I just recently found out that our Aircon installer has connected the wrong indoor units to the right outdoor (compressor) units.

 

it ended up this way:

 

9K BTU INDOOR UNIT -> Connected to -> 12k Compressor Unit

12K BTU INDOOR UNIT -> Connected to -> 9k Compressor Unit

We are now waiting for Daikin to come over and check if any of the compressor Units is damaged (damage is maybe possible with the 9K indoor -> 12k Outdoor Unit (thx@Naam for the clarification)

 

Latest post was that Daikin will show up in about 2 weeks.

========

Thx

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Latest post was that Daikin will show up in about 2 weeks.

Not acceptable.  Have you ordered at Daikin directly?

Or was it all with a installation company, big mall, ... some extra information would do us good.

 

But don't wait two weeks, reach out to them again. Be polite, ask a Thai friend to help.

If still two weeks is the message, post to their facebook page and share that to a office walking suit at Daikin.

 

With this heat, and the wrong installation. They should show up tomorrow and fix their errors.

 

Rgds,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Aircon installer

Contact them ! Not just Daikin, but surely inform Daikin along with proof in picture and possible video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx and sorry if the OP wasn’t complete as a lot has happened to me today, but DAIKIN is not at fault, aircons were installed by an external company who don’t wanna admit their fault.

 

We contacted Daikin after we have found out the installer error to have them come over to check if there is NO damage to the aircons / compressor

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please share a bit more of the findings in the previous thread. How well did your aircons work in the wrong configuration and why would there be damage to the 9K indoor -> 12k Outdoor Unit?

 

I have a similar setup (through my own fault, by re-using and old outdoor unit): 12K indoor -> 18K outdoor unit. Apart from not cooling a whole lot, probably not more than 9K, it has been running 5 years now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will try.


The main aircon we use wasn't that cold, but that is not how I found out that they were switched. How I found out that they were switched because a Gecko was in the Indoor Unit and I wanted to get it out, so I got up on a Ladder and by luck I saw the Sticker which Said the type Number. And then I looked closer and saw it was the 9k Unit. Looked then at the other unit and saw that was the 12k one. Looked at the compressors and knew the installer had switched the indoor units.


Re: Damage, Member Naam could explain it better, but it has something to do (what I can recall from the previous thread) with "Hammer Effect". Maybe there isn't damage but just to be sure we are getting Daikin to come over and check the Aircons and the Compressor and decide what to do after they checked the Units. Maybe it's just an easy fix by swapping the Indoor Units, but maybe it's something more drastic but let's hope for the best.

Edited by MJCM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're gonna wait 2 weeks for Daikin people to come out and tell you that theres no damage? 

 

I just cant understand why you don't just pay some local installers to swap the units around, but instead choose to not use 2 aircons in the hottest part of the year. 

 

12k and 9k BTU aircons are almost the same size, the probability that there is any damage is almost zero. 

 

And if you swap them out, Daikin can still come and see if they are functioning properly - which would likely be nothing more than checking the pressures and putting a thermometer in the air handler and checking the temp. 

 

The way this is going I think you are opening yourself up to being possibly ripped off by the Daikin people when they come, telling you you need a whole new aircon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care of being ripped off by Daikin, I will pay them even extra to swap the Units.

 

The reason I don't want local installers as that we don't live in a big city but in the sticks and the installers don't have a clue.

 

Funny story about a local installer, friend had aircons installed, friend had to buy his own "Gas" (the R32 kind) when the guys did the install and started gassing the unit, the had the nerve to ask my friend if that was enough gas they put in. My Friend responded, "How the .... should I know, I am not an aircon installer, that's your Job".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Funny story about a local installer, friend had aircons installed, friend had to buy his own "Gas" (the R32 kind) when the guys did the install and started gassing the unit, the had the nerve to ask my friend if that was enough gas they put in.

That should not happen. The units come pre-gassed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I got up on a Ladder and by luck I saw the Sticker which Said the type Number.

If the specification stickers are on the indoor unit front covers, I hope you have ruled out a simple mix up of these covers during installation because on some brands they are identical size and fit between the lower capacities. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I don't care of being ripped off by Daikin, I will pay them even extra to swap the Units.

 

The reason I don't want local installers as that we don't live in a big city but in the sticks and the installers don't have a clue.

 

Funny story about a local installer, friend had aircons installed, friend had to buy his own "Gas" (the R32 kind) when the guys did the install and started gassing the unit, the had the nerve to ask my friend if that was enough gas they put in. My Friend responded, "How the .... should I know, I am not an aircon installer, that's your Job".

With that level of skills, your local guy would probably just switch the stickers on the outdoor units and say with a big smile "Now same-same, poblem solved".

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thainesss said:

So you're gonna wait 2 weeks for Daikin people to come out and tell you that theres no damage? 

 

I just cant understand why you don't just pay some local installers to swap the units around, but instead choose to not use 2 aircons in the hottest part of the year. 

 

12k and 9k BTU aircons are almost the same size, the probability that there is any damage is almost zero. 

 

And if you swap them out, Daikin can still come and see if they are functioning properly - which would likely be nothing more than checking the pressures and putting a thermometer in the air handler and checking the temp. 

 

The way this is going I think you are opening yourself up to being possibly ripped off by the Daikin people when they come, telling you you need a whole new aircon. 

I think we can both rule out any damage, but the larger outdoor vs. smaller indoor unit is the worst scenario in terms of efficiency. 5 years going and no damage to my 18K x 12K setup.

 

"Not only are they compatible, but many times recommended. Over a “reasonable” range, larger cooling coils make the refrigeration cycle slightly more efficient. Just don’t go the other way, smaller coil than condensing unit. That would do the opposite."

 

https://www.quora.com/Are-different-cooling-capacities-indoor-unit-and-outdoor-unit-of-split-air-conditioner-compatible

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think we can both rule out any damage, but the larger outdoor vs. smaller indoor unit is the worst scenario in terms of efficiency. 5 years going and no damage to my 18K x 12K setup.

 

"Not only are they compatible, but many times recommended. Over a “reasonable” range, larger cooling coils make the refrigeration cycle slightly more efficient. Just don’t go the other way, smaller coil than condensing unit. That would do the opposite."

 

https://www.quora.com/Are-different-cooling-capacities-indoor-unit-and-outdoor-unit-of-split-air-conditioner-compatible

 

I posted a similar thing in his other thread. I had a 9k compressor and 12k air handler and it worked fine for 2 years before in until I moved. I was renting and the compressor crapped itself. Local aircon offered it to me used from his shop for 3k. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If the specification stickers are on the indoor unit front covers, I hope you have ruled out a simple mix up of these covers during installation because on some brands they are identical size and fit between the lower capacities. 

 

Yes of course I am not that daft. If they want to do that they have to switch the whole housing as the serial number on our Daikins is on the bottom. Plus the spec of the unit is attached to the right side.

 

Edit : will post pictures of one of the units when I get home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

 


Yes of course I am not that daft. If they want to do that they have to switch the whole housing as the serial number on our Daikins is on the bottom. Plus the spec of the unit is attached to the right side.

 

Just making sure you know the rear chassis components match whats on the front cover.  Like I said earlier, some brands have identical front covers that fit onto the rear chassis and the only way to be sure whats behind the front cover is to remove it and check the inside label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...