Aircon unit question (restart ;) )

MJCM

as my topic unfortunately got deleted due to very strange circumstances I will update this thread with what Daikin has found out.

In case someone has no idea what this topic was all about here a brief synopsis.

=========

I just recently found out that our Aircon installer has connected the wrong indoor units to the right outdoor (compressor) units.

it ended up this way:

9K BTU INDOOR UNIT -> Connected to -> 12k Compressor Unit

12K BTU INDOOR UNIT -> Connected to -> 9k Compressor Unit

We are now waiting for Daikin to come over and check if any of the compressor Units is damaged (damage is maybe possible with the 9K indoor -> 12k Outdoor Unit (thx@Naam for the clarification)

Latest post was that Daikin will show up in about 2 weeks.

========

Thx

38 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Latest post was that Daikin will show up in about 2 weeks.

Not acceptable.  Have you ordered at Daikin directly?

Or was it all with a installation company, big mall, ... some extra information would do us good.

But don't wait two weeks, reach out to them again. Be polite, ask a Thai friend to help.

If still two weeks is the message, post to their facebook page and share that to a office walking suit at Daikin.

With this heat, and the wrong installation. They should show up tomorrow and fix their errors.

Rgds,

Thx and sorry if the OP wasn’t complete as a lot has happened to me today, but DAIKIN is not at fault, aircons were installed by an external company who don’t wanna admit their fault.

We contacted Daikin after we have found out the installer error to have them come over to check if there is NO damage to the aircons / compressor

Please share a bit more of the findings in the previous thread. How well did your aircons work in the wrong configuration and why would there be damage to the 9K indoor -> 12k Outdoor Unit?

I have a similar setup (through my own fault, by re-using and old outdoor unit): 12K indoor -> 18K outdoor unit. Apart from not cooling a whole lot, probably not more than 9K, it has been running 5 years now.

I will try.

The main aircon we use wasn't that cold, but that is not how I found out that they were switched. How I found out that they were switched because a Gecko was in the Indoor Unit and I wanted to get it out, so I got up on a Ladder and by luck I saw the Sticker which Said the type Number. And then I looked closer and saw it was the 9k Unit. Looked then at the other unit and saw that was the 12k one. Looked at the compressors and knew the installer had switched the indoor units.

Re: Damage, Member Naam could explain it better, but it has something to do (what I can recall from the previous thread) with "Hammer Effect". Maybe there isn't damage but just to be sure we are getting Daikin to come over and check the Aircons and the Compressor and decide what to do after they checked the Units. Maybe it's just an easy fix by swapping the Indoor Units, but maybe it's something more drastic but let's hope for the best.

So you're gonna wait 2 weeks for Daikin people to come out and tell you that theres no damage? 

I just cant understand why you don't just pay some local installers to swap the units around, but instead choose to not use 2 aircons in the hottest part of the year. 

12k and 9k BTU aircons are almost the same size, the probability that there is any damage is almost zero. 

And if you swap them out, Daikin can still come and see if they are functioning properly - which would likely be nothing more than checking the pressures and putting a thermometer in the air handler and checking the temp. 

The way this is going I think you are opening yourself up to being possibly ripped off by the Daikin people when they come, telling you you need a whole new aircon. 

I don't care of being ripped off by Daikin, I will pay them even extra to swap the Units.

The reason I don't want local installers as that we don't live in a big city but in the sticks and the installers don't have a clue.

Funny story about a local installer, friend had aircons installed, friend had to buy his own "Gas" (the R32 kind) when the guys did the install and started gassing the unit, the had the nerve to ask my friend if that was enough gas they put in. My Friend responded, "How the .... should I know, I am not an aircon installer, that's your Job".

19 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Funny story about a local installer, friend had aircons installed, friend had to buy his own "Gas" (the R32 kind) when the guys did the install and started gassing the unit, the had the nerve to ask my friend if that was enough gas they put in.

That should not happen. The units come pre-gassed.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I got up on a Ladder and by luck I saw the Sticker which Said the type Number.

If the specification stickers are on the indoor unit front covers, I hope you have ruled out a simple mix up of these covers during installation because on some brands they are identical size and fit between the lower capacities. 

32 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I don't care of being ripped off by Daikin, I will pay them even extra to swap the Units.

The reason I don't want local installers as that we don't live in a big city but in the sticks and the installers don't have a clue.

Funny story about a local installer, friend had aircons installed, friend had to buy his own "Gas" (the R32 kind) when the guys did the install and started gassing the unit, the had the nerve to ask my friend if that was enough gas they put in. My Friend responded, "How the .... should I know, I am not an aircon installer, that's your Job".

With that level of skills, your local guy would probably just switch the stickers on the outdoor units and say with a big smile "Now same-same, poblem solved".

1 hour ago, Thainesss said:

So you're gonna wait 2 weeks for Daikin people to come out and tell you that theres no damage? 

I just cant understand why you don't just pay some local installers to swap the units around, but instead choose to not use 2 aircons in the hottest part of the year. 

12k and 9k BTU aircons are almost the same size, the probability that there is any damage is almost zero. 

And if you swap them out, Daikin can still come and see if they are functioning properly - which would likely be nothing more than checking the pressures and putting a thermometer in the air handler and checking the temp. 

The way this is going I think you are opening yourself up to being possibly ripped off by the Daikin people when they come, telling you you need a whole new aircon. 

I think we can both rule out any damage, but the larger outdoor vs. smaller indoor unit is the worst scenario in terms of efficiency. 5 years going and no damage to my 18K x 12K setup.

"Not only are they compatible, but many times recommended. Over a “reasonable” range, larger cooling coils make the refrigeration cycle slightly more efficient. Just don’t go the other way, smaller coil than condensing unit. That would do the opposite."

https://www.quora.com/Are-different-cooling-capacities-indoor-unit-and-outdoor-unit-of-split-air-conditioner-compatible

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think we can both rule out any damage, but the larger outdoor vs. smaller indoor unit is the worst scenario in terms of efficiency. 5 years going and no damage to my 18K x 12K setup.

"Not only are they compatible, but many times recommended. Over a “reasonable” range, larger cooling coils make the refrigeration cycle slightly more efficient. Just don’t go the other way, smaller coil than condensing unit. That would do the opposite."

https://www.quora.com/Are-different-cooling-capacities-indoor-unit-and-outdoor-unit-of-split-air-conditioner-compatible

I posted a similar thing in his other thread. I had a 9k compressor and 12k air handler and it worked fine for 2 years before in until I moved. I was renting and the compressor crapped itself. Local aircon offered it to me used from his shop for 3k. 

If the specification stickers are on the indoor unit front covers, I hope you have ruled out a simple mix up of these covers during installation because on some brands they are identical size and fit between the lower capacities. 

Yes of course I am not that daft. If they want to do that they have to switch the whole housing as the serial number on our Daikins is on the bottom. Plus the spec of the unit is attached to the right side.

Edit : will post pictures of one of the units when I get home

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Yes of course I am not that daft. If they want to do that they have to switch the whole housing as the serial number on our Daikins is on the bottom. Plus the spec of the unit is attached to the right side.

Just making sure you know the rear chassis components match whats on the front cover.  Like I said earlier, some brands have identical front covers that fit onto the rear chassis and the only way to be sure whats behind the front cover is to remove it and check the inside label.

Yes they do, also as I said the serial also match. It was just a simple box switching mistake by the installer, but even that he won’t admit, and just keeps saying if they were mixed they would have stopped working. That explains a-lot his knowledge about aircon [emoji17]

Edit: but as someone has said in the previous thread (forgot who) why Daikin doesn’t check in the ECB if the correct indoor unit is connected to the right compressor?

As promised a picture of one of the indoor units.

Please note where it says Serial number it also has the type number FTKM12 or FTKM09

aircon.JPG.910e9fca0deaeecad44ec72663ce3d4f.JPG

So No it's not just a case of switched covers ! ????

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

Yes they do, also as I said the serial also match. It was just a simple box switching mistake by the installer, but even that he won’t admit, and just keeps saying if they were mixed they would have stopped working. That explains a-lot his knowledge about aircon emoji17.png

Edit: but as someone has said in the previous thread (forgot who) why Daikin doesn’t check in the ECB if the correct indoor unit is connected to the right compressor?

We are only trying to help you out here and make sure you have covered every angle. Installs sometimes include removing front covers. Three screws a few tugs and in less than a minute the front serial number and label are on the deck.

As most installations are done with the front cover attached I am quite sure the fitters have screwed up and swapped indoor units. Daikin will inspect and test behind front covers to confirm.

4 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

We are only trying to help you out here and make sure you have covered every angle. Installs sometimes include removing front covers. Three screws a few tugs and in less than a minute the front serial number and label are on the deck.

As most installations are done with the front cover attached I am quite sure the fitters have screwed up and swapped indoor units. Daikin will inspect and test behind front covers to confirm.

Thx, but look at the picture I have posted. It confirms that they (the installers) just did a mix up !

I will wait for the Daikin guys to show up even it takes two weeks.

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx, but look at the picture I have posted. It confirms that they (the installers) just did a mix up !

I will wait for the Daikin guys to show up even it takes two weeks.

What if we moved that serial and model number to the other room. or am I missing some special indicator

6 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

What if we moved that serial and model number to the other room. or am I missing some special indicator

Can we please wait till Daikin comes and tells if the right aircon indoor unit is in the right place !!

I will report back ! But if this continues I won't ????

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Can we please wait till Daikin comes and tells if the right aircon indoor unit is in the right place !!

I will report back ! But if this continues I won't ????

Yes agreed and they will show you how the cover and rear chassis separate.

Just now, Fruit Trader said:

Yes agreed and they will show you how the cover and rear chassis separate.

And you think a simple installer did that !

I have no problem in admitting when I am wrong and when Daikin comes and tells me that the right indoor unit is with the the right compressor then so be it I am happy as I don't have to PAY them to move them !!

But I sincerely doubt that this installer stripped the whole indoor unit and moved the cover and other parts to another room !! Which is several meters away. But it could be !!

I only dealing with the things I am seeing and I am not stripping the INDOOR units as I have NO idea HOW, to find out if they are wrong ! I am waiting for the Manufacturer to come and tell me !!

If the right indoor unit is with the right compressor then I will report back if not I will report back also !

If It's not that I am NOT asking you to fix it for me ! ????

I want you to become a Daikin expert

Why should I not that that interested to be one. The only thing I am interested in is finding a trustworthy installer of aircons.

Question. So you think our installer did not make a mistake and just switched the covers ?

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Why should I not that that interested to be one ? The only thing I am interested in is finding a trustworthy installer of aircons.

Question. So you think our installer did not make a mistake and just switched the covers ?

I think your installer screwed up but from what I have seen in the past I personally would need to remove the cover and check. 

These units are not cheap and for peace of mind you are doing the right thing calling in Daikin.

I think your installer screwed up but from what I have seen in the past I personally would need to remove the cover and check. 

Oke fair enough, but as I said I am not confident enough to do that (read don’t wanna or too lazy to do it) so I take the easy way out and I am paying someone to do it for me but that someone will come in about 2 weeks.

The aircon is working, but in whole honesty (oke you can say more money then brains) but I am also looking in replacing the aircon, but that is another ball game as I am having real problems in finding a replacement (that’s a whole new thread in the making re: finding a “high end” aircon in Baan Nok), so my wife has convinced me to wait for Daikin.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Oke fair enough, but as I said I am not confident enough to do that (read don’t wanna or too lazy to do it) so I take the easy way out and I am paying someone to do it for me but that someone will come in about 2 weeks.

The aircon is working, but in whole honesty (oke you can say more money then brains) but I am also looking in replacing the aircon, but that is another ball game as I am having real problems in finding a replacement (that’s a whole new thread in the making re: finding a “high end” aircon in Baan Nok), so my wife has convinced me to wait for Daikin.

If these units came from a large store can you not take it up with them?

Archived