24 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

It is good if you own the house, unfortunately only Thai can own a house.

I wanted to give my wife something without jeopardizing my retirement.  I paid her the money I would have paid to rent the house and she has gotten the mortgage and negotiated the interest payments so that it will be paid off in 3 years.  I will continue to pay her rent after the house is paid for and she can use the money to go back to school and get her masters in finance or stop working for the corporation she now works for and open up an office as a broker.  Up to her.  It's nice to give a house to a person I like for a change.  BTW I can own the house but not the land but I don't.  

7 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Correct. The farang can own the house but the Thai owns the land, ie right of entry. Be very polite to the wife.

I'm always polite.  When I yell I go in the bedroom and close the door.  And during the day mostly talk to the dog. 

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I recall when my friend one day got a lawyer letter "out of the blue" from his wife telling him he had 30 days to vacate her house.      He paid for the house  and complied with the demand.

I recall when Jeff Bezos got a "lawyer letter" telling him his wife wanted to be his ex-wife. She'll end up worth about $35 billion. He complied.

Not sure what my post or yours has to do with the this thread. Apparently Marcusarelus has a happy marriage and his wife got a good deal for them both. Not every Thai has some sinister plan at work and not every farang is a pigeon waiting to be plucked.

It's too bad that whenever someone wants to share good news on TV that some people feel compelled to rush forward with their doom and gloom world view.

Other way round for me ..... the bank renegotiated the mortgage with my wife (actually mortgage probably her parents) instead of about 110 years (she was only paying about 250 baht a month more than the interest) we now pay about 900 baht more than the interest ..... only about 25 years then ...... does mean the wife has to think twice about kicking me out, as then she would have to pay it all!

Archived