Don Mueang Airport struck by storm

snoop1130

Don Mueang Airport struck by storm

By THE NATION

29ab4ee6aa21a5e43d2d47d7a4368321.jpeg

AN UNPRECEDENTED storm hit Bangkok’s Don Mueang Airport on Thursday afternoon, affecting more than 18 flights and stranding 3,000 passengers for a short while.

At least one flight was re-directed to the nearby Suvarnabhumi Airport and another to U-Tapao Airport. 

de5069f903fb62b359d7a8eb6d438686.jpeg

Strong winds caused Lion Air’s mobile airstair to hit a Nok Air aircraft parked nearby, after which all 176 passengers on board the Nok Air flight were made to disembark and board another aircraft. Their flight to Nakhon Si Thammarat was rescheduled from 2.05pm to 3.30pm. 

Immigration Bureau’s deputy spokesman Pol Colonel Cherngron Rimpadee said the storm disrupted many flights to and from Don Mueang Airport between 2pm and 4pm. 

a9e528727cf2653f731a6ded72df7d19.jpeg

The Aeronautical Radio of Thailand reported that the storm cleared at about 3.15pm and normal services at the airport resumed soon after. 

During the storm, dozens of planes were parked on tarmac waiting for the right time to take off, while dozens others hovered nearby waiting for the right time to land. 

95a0125e5c11c881fb657fcec1d45151.jpeg

Don Mueang Airport sits in the north of Bangkok, which was hit by heavy winds and hailstorm on Thursday afternoon. 

Pathum Thani was similarly hit by winds so severe that they blew off a section of the Western University’s concrete wall. The falling debris seriously damaged four cars and two motorcycles owned by university staff and lecturers, though nobody was injured. 

Police and relevant officials rushed to the scene after receiving a report on the incident.

02932a0a6e27f2fceeb7098687cf4307.jpeg

The university is located in Pathum Thani’s Lam Luk Ka district. The site has been cordoned off pending inspection of the building and its structure. 

The Meteorological Department has forecast summer and electrical storms in the North, Northeast, East and Central regions, including Bangkok, on Friday  and Saturday. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368381

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-25

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

Bangkok, the hub of novel aircraft.

From the article;

"During the storm, dozens of planes were parked on tarmac waiting for the right time to take off, while dozens others hovered nearby waiting for the right time to land. "

TVF.  Hub of pedantic criticisms.

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

winds so severe that they blew off a section of the Western University’s concrete wall.

Obviously quality construction - any walls I have built aren't going to be damaged by wind!  I see no evidence of any reinforcing steel.  Typical red brick coated in plaster and stucco - I call it cosmetic engineering - no structural strength - but it looks good!  You can put lipstick on a pig but...............

38 minutes ago, soistalker said:

I flew out of there on Monday. There was no.air conditioning and no circulating air. I was profusely sweating. There were 5000 screaming Chinese everywhere. It was like hell.

Welcome to LOS

38 minutes ago, soistalker said:

I flew out of there on Monday. There was no.air conditioning and no circulating air. I was profusely sweating. There were 5000 screaming Chinese everywhere. It was like hell.

Even 5 only is hell.

46 minutes ago, toenail said:

Poor workmanship on building.

Not a fluke. I remember being amazed to see some guys using a six foot level last week on a road construction job. Measuring tools of any sort seem to be an unknown concept. Rebar seems to exist for making furniture, primarily.

I am looking into a prefab house kit....made in China! I will perforce hire a Thai crew for much of the assembly, as my ability for solo house construction is sadly declined, but you can be sure I will keep a close supervisory eye on the job.

Doesn't surprise many of us who have used Don Muang lately. It's a disaster waiting to happen.  Takes eons to get to it via the road works, there's nowhere to park and the immigration lines are back to Suvarnarbhumi airport due to all the Chinese tourists!

That's the typical made of thin concrete pillar filled with piled up bricks. This type of wall is probably strong enough to stand against the average storm, except when it's a 10 meter high wall blocking the exit of what becomes a wind tunnel when a gush goes through the entrance.

I've seen some bad walls made here (think several millimetres off on each brick) but the one in this picture looks decent, it was just not the appropriate one.

13 hours ago, impulse said:

TVF.  Hub of pedantic criticisms.

I agree. When life revolves around the next round of drinks and viewing electronic doses of poison; when life centers around illusions of self importance, the negative and dark forces take over.

18 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Bangkok, the hub of novel aircraft.

From the article;

"During the storm, dozens of planes were parked on tarmac waiting for the right time to take off, while dozens others hovered nearby waiting for the right time to land. "

Well the Thai Airforce did have ''Harriers'' till they broke all of them

12 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Rebar seems to exist for making furniture, primarily.

Not true.  They know it has to go in the concrete but they don't understand (or don't care) how to lay it properly.  Usually it ends up in the dirt and the concrete is poured on top (rather than it being suspended in the air so it ends up inside the slab) so the concrete eventually cracks and chips away, leaving the rebar sitting there on the ground doing nothing.

I will perforce hire a Thai crew for much of the assembly...but you can be sure I will keep a close supervisory eye on the job.

Good luck.  My neighbor tried that for a major addition, was constantly arguing with the crew about doing things the right way as opposed to the easy way.  He had an entire crew walk off the job because he was being "too picky" about how he wanted the work done.  He eventually found another crew but he ended up doing a lot of the work himself.

The wife and I hired a different crew to build us a carport and addition.  If it were up to me I would have fired them twice over before the job was done but the wife kept praising them for getting everything done so fast.  Now she's moaning that it's all falling apart!

14 hours ago, toenail said:

Poor workmanship on building.

Yeah, it looks to me like a thin brick and mortar wall with no re-bar of any type.  At least I don't see any iron in the photos.  Looks like some thin masonry over what basically was a blue board type of thing

Archived