Do you have a "smart watch?"

wpcoe

40 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

They are just another method of allowing ourselves to be tracked and monitored by intelligence services. 

When I’m out looking for my next murder victim I leave mine at home ... alibi.

That is called paranoia.  If you have a phone you can be tracked.  Anyone can track you if they want to.  But why would they? 

9 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Using Amazfit Stratos. Previously Amazfit classic one before giving it away.

Like to be able to customise watchfaces, and getting notifications of messages, emails and calls on the watch, when phone is in pocket or left on the desk. It also shows weather and automatically changes time when traveling around the World as soon as phone connects to Wifi or network. Sends me meeting reminders, and tracks my steps. Annoying me with "you've been sitting too long"... "I KNOW! This flight takes forever!"

Don't use it for sleep monitor because it's too big and would wake me up when screen backlight goes off when turning. But used Mi Band before which was great for that.

So overall I find it useful but prefer always on display of Xiaomi rather than OLED displays that only turn on when you turn your wrist. Battery life of 5-7 days is also a good fit as I would feel stupid for walking around with powerbank charging my watch...

I moved to this from self-winding analog watch that kept on stopping on me as I wore it only a few hours a day on top of not being overly accurate, which became too much of a nuisance.

Amazfit Stratos 5-6000 baht.  Huawei honor4 800 - 900 baht. 

10 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Same here. I have an Apple Watch and use it to track workouts and activity. I like it as I can listen to music when out running without having to take my phone, while also tracking the run I'm doing. 

The problem with the Apple Watch was the battery life too short when doing longer runs. Changed to Garmin and love it, great battery life and tracks all my workouts, runs etc. 

I purchased a Samsung Gear S3 a year ago April and LOVE it! If I receive a phone call while driving I can answer it through the watch. It responds to my phone alarm and I can hit the snooze with the watch - maybe a bad thing? It tracks my heart rate, useful especially at night. And I just love how it looks.

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Just wait until they try to inject a microchip into your arm!

I have a friend whose wife wants one of those chips inserted in his  neck to open the cat flap so  when he crawling home drunk it will let him in the back door. She is  a bit over having to get out of bed  to open it for him.   ????

Ok. On topic. No I will never have  electronic gadgets on my body. Even a simple  digital watch sucks  the  energy out of  you.

17 minutes ago, quandow said:

I purchased a Samsung Gear S3 a year ago April and LOVE it! If I receive a phone call while driving I can answer it through the watch. It responds to my phone alarm and I can hit the snooze with the watch - maybe a bad thing? It tracks my heart rate, useful especially at night. And I just love how it looks.

My Huawai costs a fraction of what yours cost and vibrates with a green phone when I have a call.  So, you press the green phone and it answers the call but ..... you have to take out the phone or be wearing a headset to speak or listen.  I guess if the headset you are wearing does not have a convenient answer button it might make sense.  Of course the exercise band is minimalist looking as opposed to the Gear 3 which is kind of rich looking of course it weights 62 g as opposed to 23 g so its like wearing 3 of mine on your wrist.  

I have the Amazfit, I got it primarily to use when exercise "walking" measures time /distance/steps/heartrate etc.

Can listen to music, notifies of calls or sms. Various other things.

About 4 days per charge.

Does what I need it to do.

Not a cheaper band or an expensive watch, middle of the road I would call it. Useful but not something I wear all day everyday.

14 hours ago, tkramer said:

Nobody needs this stuff, pay attention...

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY: Dr. Gabe Mirkin

Gghttp://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/listen-to-your-body.html

Caution: People who have narrowed arteries leading to the heart can suffer heart attacks when they exercise intensely. All vigorous exercisers must learn when to back off of training because not allowing enough time to recover from hard exercise can damage your heart muscle as well as your skeletal muscles. Check with your doctor before beginning an exercise program or making a sudden change in the intensity of your existing program.

In other words go to your doctor to have him charge you hundreds of dollars to check the same things that your smart watch checks.

I use a Garmin. It more of a fitness tracker/sports watch, but with some smartwatch functionality.

Battery lasts for 5 to 10 days depending on how often I use the GPS. I can use it to track runs, swims (WR to 50m), cycling and a whole range of other activities. It monitors my heart rate and sleep quality. Step counter, altitude, compass, etc etc. When connected to my phone I can get the weather, control my music, find my phone if I misplace it under a cushion, and of course receive message notifications. So personally I find it very useful, and wear it everyday. 

I bought a smart watch on Lazada, Chinese model 2 years ago.  5000 baht I paid.  It was a fancy watch with built-in Wi-fi , spy camera, internet, mail, and Google speech with mic was working fine. 

The only problem was it lasted for 4 months and I had to put it in the trash bin, 

On 4/25/2019 at 9:15 PM, villagefarang said:

and I find it very useful. It tracks all of my physical activity and workouts as well as my sleep. I can even answer

These 'smart' watches are hopelessly inaccurate. I hope you don't rely on the data for anything life threatening. LOL!

apart from the fitness tracking the two key features for me are notifications and smart lock

when out and about I leave my phone in my bag but get notifications on the watch for incoming calls, SMS or Line messages, alarms, etc. and from the details on the watch screen I can handle it on the watch (eg reject call with pre-set message) or get my phone out to respond or leave to handle later

I also have smart lock turned on (android phone) so while the watch is connected to the phone by Bluetooth I don't need to keep entering pin/password to unlock the phone but if I lose the phone then it is locked and pin/password is required for access

I have an Apple Watch and I find it very useful. It tracks all of my physical activity and workouts as well as my sleep. I can even answer phone calls or Line messages when I don’t have my phone with me. 

nonsense. You will need an Apple phone connected to it, impossible to answer phonecalls or even line messages only on your Apple Watch.  It has no sim card, neither a direct connection to the internet. At least you need wifi connection (only on the latests models)

10 minutes ago, tonboy said:

nonsense. You will need an Apple phone connected to it, impossible to answer phonecalls or even line messages only on your Apple Watch.  It has no sim card, neither a direct connection to the internet. At least you need wifi connection (only on the latests models)

Maybe you're not up with the latest tech.  

7 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Maybe you're not up with the latest tech.  

Maybe, but in this case I am right. 
By the way, I also have a smart watch, a ZeTime. That is a real watch (yes, with always visible hands to show the correct time) and, connected to any Apple or Android phone, will also have some special functions others don't have. It runs its own dedicated software, so no WatchOS (Apple ) or WearOS (Google). Connects to both Android and Apple phones. Runs up to 7 days without recharging, the moving hands up to 31 days without recharging. And more important, it looks like a watch, no uggly design like the Apple watch.

20 minutes ago, tonboy said:

Maybe, but in this case I am right. 

Pride comes before a fall, my friend. 

No SIM in the latest Apple Watch as they're SIM-free just like the latest iPhones so you can most definitely make calls from your Apple Watch without pairing to the iPhone.  

I have an Apple Watch and I find it very useful. It tracks all of my physical activity and workouts as well as my sleep. I can even answer phone calls or Line messages when I don’t have my phone with me. 

1 hour ago, tonboy said:

You are quite simply wrong.  For a nominal charge you can use the same number as your cellphone.  I often leave my phone at home and receive calls and messages on my watch while out walking the dog.

18 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Pride comes before a fall, my friend. 

No SIM in the latest Apple Watch as they're SIM-free just like the latest iPhones so you can most definitely make calls from your Apple Watch without pairing to the iPhone.  

Did some research. Apple Watch 4G with eSim this is called. Seems to be available in Thailand from 1 feb 2019 onwards. You are right.
To my defend I did get my info from a Dutch site which doesn't mention this because not available in the Netherlands. 
Sorry about this. 

4 minutes ago, tonboy said:

Did some research. Apple Watch 4G with eSim this is called. Seems to be available in Thailand from 1 feb 2019 onwards. You are right.
To my defend I did get my info from a Dutch site which doesn't mention this because not available in the Netherlands. 
Sorry about this. 

Really not a problem, tonboy, as it's hard to keep up with the latest tech as changes on a daily basis, particularly dependent on how much you're willing to spend.  

I didn't mean to make a goat of you but I was in the know as I purchased an iPhone XS Max last year and also picked up the eSim on EE (UK network) last November and now SIM free.  I keep my Thai SIM in the SIM slot on my iPhone now and don't have to mess about when I arrive in LOS or arrive back to the UK.  

Archived