POLL: God Belief...Yes or No?

Skeptic7

God Belief...Yes or No?   

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate that in earlier times when things we fully understand today were considered truly mystical, that clinging to a religion, gave you a crutch to help you through the bad times. We know today beyond all doubt, that the world, or even the universe, were not created in 7 days, or that the world is just a few thousands of years old. Your intelligence has to be seriously questioned if you still believe otherwise. Other religions have highly questionable doctrines and some less than savoury characters behind some of them.

None make any sense whatsoever, or have a shred of any other proof other than the "faith" their amazing religion requires, despite serious contradictory, solid evidence that what is on offer is just rot.

We are in the 21st Century, and anyone hanging on to what is obviously complete and utter drivel, should question themselves quite closely about reality.

I believed in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas till I slowly worked out it was lies. Religion went the same way not long after, for pretty much the same reasons. While at an early stage with just 4 votes cast in this poll, but thus far a 100% vote for No Deity, it seems others stopped believing in childhood fairy tales some time back also.

30 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

None make any sense whatsoever, or have a shred of any other proof other than the "faith" their amazing religion requires, despite serious contradictory, solid evidence that what is on offer is just rot.

Not pure rot in most cases. The principles of don't kill, steal, rape etc. are some positives, though I do agree, the "you must believe this" of all of them are unsubstantiated tripe.

15 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

" Agnostic " was intentionally omitted

In study and talking with many others from different faiths that's what others and myself consider to be the closest to but sometime think I have a guardian angel for want of better words. ????

As a child I was taught as a child that's what I thought religion was all about but I grew up still knowing what was in my own heart & mind I don't think I could go atheist.

Imagine people would grow up without any religion or superstitious ideas. They would learn about science, history, etc.

And then, when they are grown up and after all that education, imagine someone would tell them about this all powerful god, praying, the guy who died and then made that trip to heaven, ...

How many people would believe in god with these conditions? I am sure very very few.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

In study and talking with many others from different faiths that's what others and myself consider to be the closest to but sometime think I have a guardian angel for want of better words. ????

As a child I was taught as a child that's what I thought religion was all about but I grew up still knowing what was in my own heart & mind I don't think I could go atheist.

And how about those guardian angles for all those people who pray to god all the time and who are "good people"? How many of them die? How many are killed? And then, what is the reaction from other believers: Let's pray. Didn't they notice that praying obviously does not work?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And how about those guardian angles for all those people who pray to god all the time and who are "good people"? How many of them die? How many are killed? And then, what is the reaction from other believers: Let's pray. Didn't they notice that praying obviously does not work?

I'm not referring to or about other people or those who pray I am not one of them.

Go and sort your bike insurance out a lot simpler for you than to see where I am coming from. ????

The poll has a dearth of activity and participation. Can a mod move it to "Featured" where it would surely gain alot more traction and show an accurate representation of TVF members belief or lack thereof. 

22 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The poll has a dearth of activity and participation. Can a mod move it to "Featured" where it would surely gain alot more traction and show an accurate representation of TVF members belief or lack thereof. 

It's an interesting thread, but you worded it to be entirely about the belief in a 'god'.

I suspect that a majority don't believe in a 'god', but some of those are open to the idea of the individual 'spirit' being entirely separate from the body?

I'm an agnostic (and so couldn't vote), but being an agnostic is not a 'cop out' - it's just realising that there is no genuine proof, so better to keep an open mind.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:10 PM, villagefarang said:

I have no interest in gods, magic or superstition of any kind. 

Or polls that replicate other threads currently running on TV.

IME, most of my friends who aren't atheist, declare themselves as agnostic. So leaving agnostic out was the OPs second fail.

Being that we all come from and return to stardust, then I assume that god must be the universe. So many incredible things happen in the universe that I could be persuaded that it's an intelligent entity. I don't believe were meant to worship it; appreciate and wonder at it, yes. Seems to make more sense than a supernatural being in heaven. I suppose I must be a deist.

By the way, has anyone studied the hologramatic universe principle? Saw a documentary on it the other night and it was mind blowing.

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

By the way, has anyone studied the hologramatic universe principle? Saw a documentary on it the other night and it was mind blowing.

If it was on one of those US based "history" channels, forget it. Absolute bunkum. Have you watched the documentary entitled "Aliens Ate My Hamster"? Riveting.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:13 PM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Not pure rot in most cases. The principles of don't kill, steal, rape etc. are some positives, though I do agree, the "you must believe this" of all of them are unsubstantiated tripe.

There principles of don't kill, steal and rape do not come from religion.

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Being that we all come from and return to stardust, then I assume that god must be the universe. So many incredible things happen in the universe that I could be persuaded that it's an intelligent entity. I don't believe were meant to worship it; appreciate and wonder at it, yes. Seems to make more sense than a supernatural being in heaven. I suppose I must be a deist.

Holographic principle? Alternative 'theories' to the present standard model like String and Quantum Gravity theories fueled the holographic ideas. SST, SUSY, M theory, LQG etc are basically at the cutting edge of maths and so in that respect they do advance our 'tool pool' for examining the universe. However, ultimately all theories on the universe must stand the test of reality and observation and that is why, at present, these alternatives fail. The standard models of the universe and quantum physics are regarded by scientists as unfinished since there are questions they don't appear to answer but they are the closest to reality and observation we have to date. If you like this type scientific comparison check out, if you haven't already done so, youtube videos from Fermi Lab, PBS Space Time because they discuss both alternatives and standard models.

Ha, and no, I don't believe in an almighty creator. Many of the Bible stories are considered (scientifically) as stories passed through generations from the ancient Sumerians and early Babylonians. The stories aren't exactly the same but similar. And of course, western religions owe to the Roman Emperor Constantine for the structure of church today...and he an agenda.????

believing or not believing is a personal choice.   I have made a prayer and if it is answered I will say that

I do believe in god.    I will also be a very rich man ......  

It distills into the question of whether one subscribes to intelligent design (some creator or creators at work) and the "universe is a hologram" style of theory (and which, by the way, Elon Musk subscribes to), or a Darwinesque approach, in which a primordial soup was struck by a lightning bolt and evolution got started through a mix of chemicals being "potentised" by such lightning, and sent on its wild and wonderful journey, with "God's ultimate creation", man, being descended from a single-cell organism.

It's a bit of a Hobson's choice.  Darwin's theories are being torn down daily, by eminent scientists.  Back in the day, even his colleague Russell threw in the towel and gave up on the theory.

My personal belief is that the "biblical God" is a strong possibility, but must not be confused with the "Creator", or an unguided Universe.  It would seem to me to be an alien visitation of some kind, equipped with the necessary advanced science and technology to perhaps be able to clone "Adam" (and Lilith).

If the Universe truly is billions of years old, then any kind of life form which existed at the time of the "Big Bang", (until recently, the only "true" origin of the Universe but now debunked) (theoretical physicists declare that they can prove mathematically that the Universe/ Universes started from Zero), would be billions of years more advanced than we are.

If, in the 116 years since the Wright brothers created manned flight, we can now send probes out into distant space, it doesn't take much to believe that some fancy means of propulsion have evolved in several billion years and that we have had alien visitations in the fairly recent past (say 5000 years so).  Surely, any newly-created mortals, or ones which were around at the time, would call these visitors "God"?

Archived