Robbed in Bangkok in Broad Daylight

NightSky

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a start there are no points in the Thai driving license system. You may have been driving for 40 years but clearly not in Thailand .

Why didn't you simply stay in your car and allow the cop to return with your license, fine and receipt?

Hint..... Study the Thai road rules. You broke them. 

You mentioned he was a ' small framed policeman' was this a cue to assert your ' farangness' in to the situation?

24 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

For a start there are no points in the Thai driving license system.

Points It’s coming....... I would have paid the fine possibly ask the officer

to walk back show you the infraction area. If within reason

pay and go. A solid white / yellow line think it as wall and don’t 

cross it. 

12 point system ......

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/new-points-system-for-traffic-violations-comes-into-force-mid-year

1 hour ago, jgarbo said:

Changing lanes without indicators is Bt 500 fine. What's the problem? 

OP used indicators sounds like it may have been a solid line. Possible not clear due to paint faded. Fine could very well be

500 baht OP asked what the fine was and paid it.

Below is what a carpool violation (crossing solid line) will cost you in California. Even if you have enough people to be in the carpool lane you have to enter and exit as disgraced. My rear tire clipped the painted line entering. Fought it and won because the officer didn’t appear in court. 

If the officer wanted to be a be a real prick when he turned on the lights to pull you over and you went back across the line and it wasn’t an exit. 2x they can fine you every time you cross. 

Carpool (HOV) lane ticket = $490.00

OP I’d have done the same as you not worth the hassle and less than the price of a decent steak...

12 hours ago, NightSky said:

m not lying, thanks for your input though

Do you have a dash cam ? It's the only way we can verify your story. The police stopped you for a reason. 

I was also stopped in Bangkok for driving in the bus lane, on the left side. I did not see it until it was too late. I bet something similar happened to you. 

30 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, the thread is very misleadingly titled.

..but look at all the comments 

10 minutes ago, balo said:

Do you have a dash cam ? It's the only way we can verify your story. The police stopped you for a reason. 

I was also stopped in Bangkok for driving in the bus lane, on the left side. I did not see it until it was too late. I bet something similar happened to you. 

hey, I never said I was perfect and i could have been mistaken by all means. The purpose of the post was to ask what others would do if faced with a similar situation, not to ask whether I was guilty of breaking a rule or driving to the very best of my ability or not.

Im quite amazed how popular the bashing thread has been actually and quite entertaining in any case. I'm done here though onto the next thread ????

9 minutes ago, NightSky said:

..but look at all the comments 

hey, I never said I was perfect and i could have been mistaken by all means. The purpose of the post was to ask what others would do if faced with a similar situation, not to ask whether I was guilty of breaking a rule or driving to the very best of my ability or not.

Im quite amazed how popular the bashing thread has been actually and quite entertaining in any case. I'm done here though onto the next thread ????

Well, what others would do, or rather, what I would do, is find out if I was guilty of committing a minor traffic infringement or not. 

Admittedly you were not driving to the best of your ability - you were distracted and in the wrong lane - no biggie there, it happens to us all. Your topic is 'Robbed in Bangkok in Broad Daylight' this... the relevance of whether or not you were guilty is paramount to the topic. 

This is not a bash against you.. Many of us have and do make the same mistakes. Driving around Bangkok (and Thailand in General) its only a matter of time before we make these mistakes given the inconsistent markings. 

And, yes, when there is an inconsistency which catches people out the Police love to camp out there and catch the offenders. 

You have also painted yourself in a somewhat 'over defensive tint' which naturally attracts attention to the presence of bias. 

Show us the specific junction - and we'll know if you were robbed or not. 

As it stands, on the face of it you payed a 500 baht bribe instead of a 400 or 500 baht fine for committing a minor traffic infraction. 

Why did you mention that the police were armed?  Why tf would they not be?

You say to someone he/she is "trying to poke holes in your story"?
This is a troll post.  The topic title you wrote, "Robbed in Bangkok in Broad Daylight", implies that you were robbed, as in mugged.  Then the story tells that you paid a spot fine to traffic cops.  Implying that the cops robbed you.

Then, cue the usual, of course.

4 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

You posted, you didn’t want official points on your licence so you took 500 baht into the police box.

You didn’t want points so you walked in with the sole intention of offering a bribe. They accepted now your claiming you where robbed. If he’d refused the bribe and thrown your ass in jail you’d also be complaining. Be thankful your not locked up or deported. 

4 hours ago, NightSky said:

wrong

No, not wrong, that is how you wrote it, that is how you worded it.

42 minutes ago, myshem said:

500 was the official price, so why not paying only 200 ? you are not very smart.

Thank you for sharing the tip, your wisdom and logical reasoning behind it is astonishing

On 4/25/2019 at 6:40 PM, utalkin2me said:

The best part about these stories is people for some reason deduce it is different in their home countries.

People get pulled over for doing nothing all the time in the US. The problem is, the ticket then goes on your record. You can go to court, which is a complete nightmare. You can pay it, then do traffic school. A virtual endless string of nightmares in the US... and here you are complaining about a 15 dollar, no strings attached stop. 

I thought he paid 500 baht not $15

I didn't have a chance to argue, when I did something similar where I hangout, a Camera got me. ???? However there are more 'interesting' places in the Town, where to me, they'd never have to work an another day of their lives, if the Cameras were inserted at those intersections? An other example was a 500 for one of my 3 Stoplights not working, and the list goes on. ????  "Mai Pen Rai"  I'm just a little concerned that living with them one may get to be as them! ????

15 hours ago, NightSky said:

I was simply asking what others would have done in this situation. 

Well I'd have chalked it up to experience, can never get enough here, then make sure I had a functioning dash cam to show the officer if I doubted his word. Probably would have left it to the Mrs to sort it out as well!

On 4/25/2019 at 11:25 PM, NightSky said:

What would you have done keeping in mind I was in a police box with three armed police who could have accused me of anything they wanted to. 

I would have told them my dash cam front and rear can prove i did nothing wrong.

10 hours ago, balo said:

When stopped at police checkpoints,they see the dash cam and wave me through.

23 hours ago, NightSky said:

If there was a solid white line on the road which my wife just also agreed there wasn’t and I’ve never noticed one in the decade I’ve been driving down that road then it wasn’t visible, although I am 100% sure there isn’t a line there.

Onnut road runs for tens of km from past suvarnabhumi airport to Sukhumvit road with police boxes dotted at many intersections so I’m unsure how you can recognise the same intersection. 

Well, on the inbound to Suk side of Onnut there is only one Police box between Lat Krabang and Suk, so it was easy to figure out. Your statement is incorrect but I do understand the frustration of paying at the Police Box, should have gone to the Police Station. Also, every intersection with a traffic light except Srinakarin and Onnut has this same solid white line. Better luck next time.

Been “fined” a few times, couple of hundred baht, but always I have been guilty of the offense stated. Just because it is the norm for everyone to disregard most of the traffic laws here doesn’t make it legal, so quite happy to pay the discounted price . So no, I wouldn’t have done same as the OP who paid more then the going rate for an offense which he refuses to admit. As an aside, why would/do the bib make up infringements when sat at any junction you can see 10 offenses per minute?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/2/2019 at 8:23 AM, OJAS said:

@AlfHuy - the crucial date in this connection is the "Enter Before" one indicated in your non-OA visa. You should be stamped in for a further 12 months after each subsequent trip to foreign parts provided that you re-enter Thailand before this "Enter Before" date. But, so as to preserve your latest permission to stay in the case of further foreign trips where you will be returning to Thailand after this "Enter Before" date, you will first need to obtain a re-entry permit, either from your local immigration office or at the airport prior to flying out to your foreign destination. Failure to do this will mean that, upon your return, you will be stamped in for the standard visa-exempt 30 days - meaning that you will need to start all over afresh with either (1) a trip to your local immigration office to convert the visa-exempt entry into a single-entry non-O visa, OR (2) a trip to a Royal Thai embassy or consulate in a neighbouring SE Asian country for a single-entry non-O visa, OR (3) even a trip back to Belgium for a fresh non-OA visa.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:14 AM, NightSky said:

I know I didn’t break the law. I’ve been driving here 20 years almost.

also please donot twist my story around, I asked the policeman how much the fine was and he said 500 which was the amount I took with me knowing that would be the most I would want to pay and he didn’t hand me a receipt. 

My question again was, what would you have done if asked to pay a bribe by armed police for doing nothing wrong.

You took 500 with you because this was the most you wanted to pay, lol. How did you know the fine would not be 1000, 2000 or more? You knew you could get away with giving a 500 Baht present, didn't you?

I won't debate on those who break the road law or that road laws are to harsh in that country and not here, as the answer is obvious.

You break the law - you accept the sanction.

What freaks out is the targetting of foreigners and tourists from an unpleasant proportion of corrupt cops in Thailand,  who are just looking to make a fast bribe buck. This, is despicable and ruins the reputation and trust of the country. Simple.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:52 PM, AlexRich said:

You did the right thing. Don't give it a second thought ... the key is to enjoy the good things about Thailand and actively avoid the bad ... but when the bad raises it's ugly head get rid of it as quickly as possible. I'd have done the same.

me too , spot on

Archived