Anzac Day service held in Kanchanaburi

webfact

Anzac Day service held in Kanchanaburi

Breaking News April 25, 2019 19:32

By EPA-EFE

802b1bc1ffab23b60e00aea6019a557c-sld.jpe

// EPA-EFE PHOTO

The Anzac Day ceremony at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery on April 25 marked those who died in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, principally in the Gallipoli landings in Turkey during the First World War and the Allied soldiers who died building the death railway between Thailand and Myanmar.

b59c10724224dc6aaff520f9393539f7.jpeg

// EPA-EFE PHOTO

The railway was built for the Japanese during the Second World War using about 200,000 Asian labourers and more than 60,000 allied prisoners of war, among them thousands of Australians, New Zealanders, Dutch, British, Americans and forced labourers from several Asian countries.

Many thousands died from overwork, violence, starvation and disease without proper medical facilities. Australians and New Zealanders remember their war dead at war sites across the world.

705c7da8473cfcd6f0fcc3edcfa4b067.jpeg

// EPA-EFE PHOTO

83a59e779152281b46d398521d789219.jpeg

// EPA-EFE PHOTO

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368386

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-26

32 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

What has the ill-fated ANZAC expedition at Gallipoli in WW1 to do the Death Railway in WW2? 

Anzac day is a day of remembrance for all those Aussies and Kiwis who died in all wars; not just Gallipoli.

7 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Anzac day is a day of remembrance for all those Aussies and Kiwis who died in all wars; not just Gallipoli.

On Anzac Day 1987 Hellfire Pass was dedicated after being reclaimed from the jungle by returning POW's.

2 hours ago, Phredd said:

On one of the graves the Soldiers Wife had inscribed "One day, my beloved Husband, I may understand."

I'm 74 and still don't.

Mans inhumanity to Man!

I have two relatives buried there and another still unfound.  I'm 73 and i still don't understand either !

Hats off to the Aussie Embassy for doing a great job organizing this every year with support from the Kiwis. Also to CWGC which maintains the cemeteries in Thailand and in the rest of world superbly. I have an uncle who lies in a CWGC grave in Greece - died of wounds as a 23 year-old 2nd lieutenant in the Battle of Leros, cut off from the main force which they didn’t know had already surrendered to the Germans.

Lest we forget.

Archived