Small Caveat About Terminal 21 Food Court Cash Card System

Jingthing

OK, I go there fairly often.

You probably know that they have a food court cash card system and there is no need to cash out the card the same day. I think it lasts 30 days and even then I don't think you lose the money on it, but not sure about that.

Anyway, I had a card from week ago that I remembered had some money on it, enough to buy something anyway. I also had a receipt with it saying it had 65 baht but as it was a week ago I didn't really store the value in my head just remembered some vague idea that there was some money on it. It's not hard proof that it really had 65 baht on it just because it was there in my wallet next to the card. But it is circumstantial evidence because I do have the habit of storing the last receipt next to the card in my wallet.

Anyway I didn't bother to add money to the card as I went to order something for 60 baht, assuming I had 65 baht on the card. Well the guy put the card in and got all flustered. Wouldn't talk to me about what the problem was but there was obviously a problem and then called in for another staff person to help. Then they both seemed flustered. I was thinking well, if for some reason I was wrong and the card didn't have enough money on it to buy the dish, no problem, hand it back to me and I'll add money. I can't imagine that it's all that rare that someone orders something and has a short card. Not rocket science, right?

But instead of just telling me I had a short card, bizarrely they charged 10 baht on the card and claimed it only had 13 baht on it total. Why would they charge 10 baht for a 60 baht item? Why not just hand a short card back and say get more money?

Even weirder, and this is kind of my thing as a baht bus rider, when I do have a card with an amount like 13 baht on it I pretty much always cash it in the same night to get the change for the baht bus. Yes I always like to have exact change for the baht buses and that can be a challenge. If it's a non-change maximizer amount or higher as I thought I had 65, I just keep the card for the next visit. 

So basically I think that maybe or even probably for whatever reason they ate most of the money on that card. Of course I could never prove that so I didn't even try. I'm not accusing anyone of thievery. It seemed more like a glitch. I'm not even 100 percent sure the card wasn't just worth 13 baht. Not likely, but not impossible. Having a receipt from days ago saying 65 means nothing and certainly wouldn't hold up in a court of law or even a court of arguing with a food vendor. 

So after the guys at the stall had a stressed meeting about what to do, one of them walked me to the cash desk where I paid for the item minus 13 baht, 10 they had taken and the 3 left.

Then they cooked my dish. It was delicious. 

I do think that probably the 65 baht card was somehow trashed.

So why am I posting about such a triviality?

Because even though I can't prove it, a weird glitch might have happened, and if it happened to me, it can happen to you, and it could happen to you even if you have a very high value on your card.

So I would consider always cashing in your card the same day. Your memory will be fresh and you will have your very last paper receipt saying the value and you'll be sure it's correct. So any chance of such a glitch as I may have experienced happening in that scenario would be very remote. Even if it did, you'd have grounds to contest it.

Or don't.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I go there fairly often.

You probably know that they have a food court cash card system and there is no need to cash out the card the same day. I think it lasts 30 days and even then I don't think you lose the money on it, but not sure about that.

Anyway, I had a card from week ago that I remembered had some money on it, enough to buy something anyway. I also had a receipt with it saying it had 65 baht but as it was a week ago I didn't really store the value in my head just remembered some vague idea that there was some money on it. It's not hard proof that it really had 65 baht on it just because it was there in my wallet next to the card. But it is circumstantial evidence because I do have the habit of storing the last receipt next to the card in my wallet.

Anyway I didn't bother to add money to the card as I went to order something for 60 baht, assuming I had 65 baht on the card. Well the guy put the card in and got all flustered. Wouldn't talk to me about what the problem was but there was obviously a problem and then called in for another staff person to help. Then they both seemed flustered. I was thinking well, if for some reason I was wrong and the card didn't have enough money on it to buy the dish, no problem, hand it back to me and I'll add money. I can't imagine that it's all that rare that someone orders something and has a short card. Not rocket science, right?

But instead of just telling me I had a short card, bizarrely they charged 10 baht on the card and claimed it only had 13 baht on it total. Why would they charge 10 baht for a 60 baht item? Why not just hand a short card back and say get more money?

Even weirder, and this is kind of my thing as a baht bus rider, when I do have a card with an amount like 13 baht on it I pretty much always cash it in the same night to get the change for the baht bus. Yes I always like to have exact change for the baht buses and that can be a challenge. If it's a non-change maximizer amount or higher as I thought I had 65, I just keep the card for the next visit. 

So basically I think that maybe or even probably for whatever reason they ate most of the money on that card. Of course I could never prove that so I didn't even try. I'm not accusing anyone of thievery. It seemed more like a glitch. I'm not even 100 percent sure the card wasn't just worth 13 baht. Not likely, but not impossible. Having a receipt from days ago saying 65 means nothing and certainly wouldn't hold up in a court of law or even a court of arguing with a food vendor. 

So after the guys at the stall had a stressed meeting about what to do, one of them walked me to the cash desk where I paid for the item minus 13 baht, 10 they had taken and the 3 left.

Then they cooked my dish. It was delicious. 

I do think that probably the 65 baht card was somehow trashed.

So why am I posting about such a triviality?

Because even though I can't prove it, a weird glitch might have happened, and if it happened to me, it can happen to you, and it could happen to you even if you have a very high value on your card.

So I would consider always cashing in your card the same day. Your memory will be fresh and you will have your very last paper receipt saying the value and you'll be sure it's correct. So any chance of such a glitch as I may have experienced happening in that scenario would be very remote. Even if it did, you'd have grounds to contest it.

Or don't.

Excellent story, particularly like the bit about having exact money for baht bus.

Little disappointed there’s no review on the dish you ate.

Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

59 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Yes, me too...found out the hard way that those food court cards have an expiration date...another scam in my opinion...

Yeah but this wasn't a case of having an expired card.

It was something possibly quirkier.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I have never ever heard of 30 days.

It's written in small print on the card. I don't have a current card so I can't verify the specific number of days but I recall it is 30 and I know for a fact they don't expire in 24 hours. Several days later isn't a problem in general, but then I had this glitch happen. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm pretty sure the cards at T21 last 30 days. I've used them several times many days later. Never a problem before. 

Why are you surprised about any of this?

Aren't you the one who claims their are dozens of scams being committed by Thais everyday?

I guess just add this to the list of all the scams you have been victimized by.

But hey, at least you enjoyed your meal.... ????

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Why are you surprised about any of this?

Aren't you the one who claims their are dozens of scams being committed by Thais everyday?

I guess just add this to the list of all the scams you have been victimized by.

But hey, at least you enjoyed your meal.... ????

I actually don't think it was a scam. 

2 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Some people get quite confused in their old age ????

It's not that confusing. Either the card had 65 baht on it or it had 13 baht on it. The probability of the evidence says 65 baht but the whatever happened at the machine says differently. Or the guy made a mistake and was covering it. In any case, the guy seemed flustered, not any kind of thief. Thieves are confident. 

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Most are 24 hours.

Not a scam, just your lack of knowledge..

BS...a food court card expiring in 24 hours is a way to legally scamming the public...does not make it right just because they have been scamming the public for long time.. 

It's not that confusing. Either the card had 65 baht on it or it had 13 baht on it. The probability of the evidence says 65 baht but the whatever happened at the machine says differently. Or the guy made a mistake and was covering it. In any case, the guy seemed flustered, not any kind of thief. Thieves are confident. 

I can’t imagine how he became flustered dealing with a customer like you??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Yes, me too...found out the hard way that those food court cards have an expiration date...another scam in my opinion...

courts I've been to have signs and on card clearly in English that must be cashed in that day. Your opinion it is a scam is only true if you don't know how to read English or Thai or pay attention.

Anyway you don't need to cash out the T21 cards the same day but based on my possible glitch experience I would suggest maybe it's a good idea anyway. I usually do go there at least once a week so I saw it as a convenience to not be required to cash out same day. However I'll never know for sure why the incident happened and whether it was at all related to having an older card or not.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

BS...a food court card expiring in 24 hours is a way to legally scamming the public...does not make it right just because they have been scamming the public for long time.. 
I don't think it's a scam if there is clear signage stating the policy. On the other hand sure they must make a mint on people neglecting to turn in their cards.

Another nerdy point about the incident is a question about how those machines work. Maybe we have some retail people here that understand. So a person orders a 100 baht item with a 50 baht card. Shouldn't the machine just do a complete reject and not take anything off the card not even the 50 baht on it? That relates to the weirdest part of the incident. They claimed my card had only 13 baht on it which I don't fully believe but if that was true and the machine takes away value under the full price why didn't it take the full 13 baht and then tell me to buy a new card for the remainder? The 10 baht take was really odd.

Perhaps there is a realty TV show concept in this?

Judge Pong's Food Court Cash Cards Night Court

Where real life people argue their cases of being wronged by errant food court cash cards countered by food court cash card clerks that only reply by rolling their eyes. Then Judge Pong a 300 pound Thai albino tomboy in a toga makes the final ruling. Everyone celebrates after over moo kata BBQ.

6 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

If it is made clear that the card expires in 24 hours, it cannot be a scam.

If they sell you the card stating it is good for 7 days, yet expires in 24 hours,then that

would be a scam.

Archived