Ombudsman to consider call to nullify March-24 election

webfact

Ombudsman to consider call to nullify March-24 election

Raksakesha.jpg

The Ombudsman’s Office will tomorrow discuss a request by a former party-list candidate of the disbanded Thai Raksa Chart party for the March 24th election to be nullified for breach of the Constitution and the MPs Election Act.

Mr. Raksakecha Chaechai, secretary-general of the Ombudsman’s Office, said today that the ombudsman had scheduled a special meeting tomorrow to discuss the petition which demands that the election be declared null and void, claiming that the calculation of the 150 party-list seats, to be allocated among contesting parties by the Election Commission(EC), is unconstitutional.

If the meeting agrees that Ruangkrai’s request is valid, the case will be referred to the Constitutional Court or the Administrative Court for further consideration.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ombudsman-to-consider-call-to-nullify-march-24-election/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-04-26

10 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I think regarding the EC and their task trying to keep the PM in power, this malapropism would seem more relevant: The thick plottens.

The plot was always thick, we have entered the Twilight Zone.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

March 24th election to be nullified for breach of the Constitution and the MPs Election Act.

The military junta wrote the constitution. I sense Article 44 is about to be given a run around the block; problem solved.

I suppose one's take on this depends on whether you regard the ombudsman as a truly independent arbitration body, or as part of the machinery of government controlled by the present regime.

It is perhaps the case that, unable to achieve the required parliamentary majority to govern effectively, and aware of significant international interest in, and domestic awareness of, some of the manipulations with which they have tried to create a parliamentary majority in the face of rejection at the polls, the ground is being prepared for an annulment.

An annulment, with consequent judicial challenges, constitutional reviews and charter amendments would be worth at least a couple of years...

This petition will fail for the simple fact the EC (although it is running around like a headless chicken trying to work out how to do its' job), has not actually allocated any seats yet, so any ruling would be presumptive of the EC making the wrong choice. 

Now, there is a completely different argument that says the EC is not competent, but that is a different barrel of fish. 

32 minutes ago, JAG said:

I suppose one's take on this depends on whether you regard the ombudsman as a truly independent arbitration body, or as part of the machinery of government controlled by the present regime.

It is perhaps the case that, unable to achieve the required parliamentary majority to govern effectively, and aware of significant international interest in, and domestic awareness of, some of the manipulations with which they have tried to create a parliamentary majority in the face of rejection at the polls, the ground is being prepared for an annulment.

An annulment, with consequent judicial challenges, constitutional reviews and charter amendments would be worth at least a couple of years...

Yes, JAG (above). Either way, the junta will 'win'. If the 'election' is revoked as illegitimate (which every sane individual knows it is), then that will give the junta more and more and more time to delay and delay and delay and delay the next 'election' (they still have the two 'very sad events' cards to play) - and to ensure a more convincing thumping great majority for themselves when that next 'election' comes.

The junta are (at present) in a win win situation.

Everything - and I mean, EVERYTHING - depends on the reaction of the Thai people to these events ....

8 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, JAG (above). Either way, the junta will 'win'. If the 'election' is revoked as illegitimate (which every sane individual knows it is), then that will give the junta more and more and more time to delay and delay and delay and delay the next 'election' (they still have the two 'very sad events' cards to play) - and to ensure a more convincing thumping great majority for themselves when that next 'election' comes.

The junta are (at present) in a win win situation.

Everything - and I mean, EVERYTHING - depends on the reaction of the Thai people to these events ....

...and the reaction was unanimous......

sleeping_thais.thumb.png.92a56cbcfdcb602f925f11458307654e.png

[Game show setting with ombudsman as host]

[Ombudsman Raksakecha turns slightly, looking up] Judges?

pause

[Raksakecha, after a short buzzer sound] Sorry, Reuangkrai! that's not going to work!

And so on to the final round of LET'S PLAY DEMOCRACY!!

(NB: We all know who the judges are)

2 hours ago, JAG said:

I suppose one's take on this depends on whether you regard the ombudsman as a truly independent arbitration body, or as part of the machinery of government controlled by the present regime

The Chief Ombudsman is General Viddhavat Rajatanun......

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Ombudsman’s Office will tomorrow discuss a request by a former party-list candidate of the disbanded Thai Raksa Chart party for the March 24th election to be nullified for breach of the Constitution and the MPs Election Act.

We know what will happen next. Their independence have long been compromised with another General heading the agency. We can all write this off like how they handle Watchgate. 

yep they just dont want to know, some time ago i had what i hoped was an intelligent conversation with a well educated woman,and she covered her ears, just about said it all for me,they just muddle along every day with their heads stuck up their asses.or buried in the sand , still as her position denoted she was probably part of the never ending gravy train.

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

yep they just dont want to know, some time ago i had what i hoped was an intelligent conversation with a well educated woman,and she covered her ears, just about said it all for me,they just muddle along every day with their heads stuck up their asses.or buried in the sand , still as her position denoted she was probably part of the never ending gravy train.

'Well-educated': tragically, it is my experience that some of the most fervent supporters of the System are 'well-educated' (and I am speaking Master's degree and Ph.D. level here)!

The all important image will bend ever so slightly to world scrutiny. In days past, before the internet, much could be hidden, delayed or covered up. Now it can be hidden, delayed and covered up much quicker.

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The military junta wrote the constitution. I sense Article 44 is about to be given a run around the block; problem solved.

For the good of the people and continued peace and order. 

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

We know what will happen next. Their independence have long been compromised with another General heading the agency. We can all write this off like how they handle Watchgate. 

Compromised? The glorious army has no choice but to get its hands everywhere, not only cookie jars but also various positions of power, commissions and independent bodies.  The ordinary people just don't know what is good for them, not voting for the 'good people' in sufficient numbers. All these changes made at gun point where only for a the goodness of the nation. Hail the current free, just and fair position that this country is in. 555

(Yes, sarcasm)

Archived