Scooter safe route from Pattaya to BKK Ratchadamri

Hal65

12 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I am usually asleep on those long highway rides.

Really? And you're still alive to tell the tale? ????

Seriously, I ride all over Thailand but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not:

a). An experienced rider

b). A rider with plenty experience of Thai roads

c). Equipped with 3 pairs of eyes.

12 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Ok then. Can someone advise on a route I can take that is legal and comparatively safe? If other Thais ride scooters along that route it would be safe enough for me.

Tha safest route would be to the bus station in Pattaya and bus to Ekamai in BKK, won't cost more than a few hundred back and forth and it's probably cheaper than the scooter ride, and it's a lot safer than the scooter.

I do admit I chuckled a bit reading all the warnings about how dangerous that ride is. Not disputing you guys. I've been out here 5 years and this is one of those reminders that this country is still quite different in some aspects.

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Hope the PrEP is free considering the trouble you are going to, to get it.

I thought all the research on PrEP had concluded 

Now they have me on 3 month visits for restocking medication, I guess their way of getting more research data. The bus ride and BTS is about 3 to 4 hours one way, kills your whole day round trip.

I once took a taxi when I moved from BKK to pattaya and was surprised to find the trip took only 1:40 door to door. 

So my thoughts are to either save the cash through a bus ride and maybe spend it at a girlie bar as we are short of such things in Pattaya. Or reclaim the day by either renting a car or a taxi.

Renting a car seems desirable if I can find someone to let me rent for 1 day at reasonable cost. Otherwise bus.

20 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

I do admit I chuckled a bit reading all the warnings about how dangerous that ride is. Not disputing you guys. I've been out here 5 years and this is one of those reminders that this country is still quite different in some aspects.

So you find it funny that i warned about how dangerous riding a mc is here.

As i was left paraplegic because of a bloody clown driving a pickup the wrong way, i find your comment disgusting.

OP if you ride the MC get going at day break or earlier if the roads are safe near your starting point. It’s hot and you’ll be fatigued for 

sure if it’s 4 hours of non stop riding.

A friend wanted me to ride to BKK from Udon which is doable but the car is a much better ride so I said no Thanks! The grind of yanking the throttle on a 250 cc for 7-8 hours not a lot of fun. Especially it’s wont be scenic relaxing ride. Eyes wide open watching for anything that might happen ....

In US road 15,000 km in 30 days on my Road King but it had cruise control scenic routes most the way wanted to enjoy the ride not the semi trucks. 

Road Ocala, Fl to Sandusky Ohio for bike show and to get pinstripes done (redone Brother in law dropped bike at the light wet and in the paint) 3400 km round trip was a grind on the street glide only thumb lock which works well on a flat road...

Sorry to get off track if it’s long risky ride which may end up to two days....might consider that bus...

B7FFEC24-16E1-43AC-9D08-CD698A9D4719.jpeg

19 hours ago, papa al said:

Did you notice the signs on motorway 7 forbidding motorcycles?

////////

[There is  a Red Cross operation in SiRacha]

hello, can i know what they do at this Sriracha red cross ? Vaccination ? HIV test ? thanks.

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

How about I re-phrase the question: do you want to die/live a crippled life?   Or maybe it doesn't matter to you, either case good luck on Thai roads, I hope you are never part of the statistics here. 

Dying is nothing. Being handicapped forever is the real problem.

A lot of negative comments, I did ride from Pattaya through Bangkok and to Hua Hin, slept there, then to Surat Thani and another night rest, then to Phuket.  Not a big deal at all, okay, I was on Honda Forza 300cc, but the short run from Pattaya to bkk is nothing...

If you are a experienced rider,  and not a rainy day, can easily do it, stop for a little breaks here and there, and just go on the side lanes of the highways that you are not allowed to go on...

If I were you though,  I stay the night in a cheap hotel and have a few cold beers,  then return the next day. If that's what you like to do, no problem, take extra care and go for it....

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

A lot of negative comments, I did ride from Pattaya through Bangkok and to Hua Hin, slept there, then to Surat Thani and another night rest, then to Phuket.  Not a big deal at all, okay, I was on Honda Forza 300cc, but the short run from Pattaya to bkk is nothing...

If you are a experienced rider,  and not a rainy day, can easily do it, stop for a little breaks here and there, and just go on the side lanes of the highways that you are not allowed to go on...

If I were you though,  I stay the night in a cheap hotel and have a few cold beers,  then return the next day. If that's what you like to do, no problem, take extra care and go for it....

The Forza is about the size of a truck - you should feel at home between them. ???? 

I used to work at a school near Swampy airport and used to take the Frontage Road to Pattaya if there was a three day weekend. I now have permanent damage to my tailbone. Don't do it. I used to consider it a good trip if I ONLY nearly got turned into road kill twice each way.

Amazes me....sooo many people 'live here a long time' or are 'fluent in Thai'. You know who you are.

Getting back on topic.

Doesn't sound as if you're an experienced m/c rider, & you're thinking about  3 hour drive, whilst being ' asleep'?

Doubtful or naive?

i have no idea :shock1: how I did this but I rode my Kawasaki 650 both directions on highway 7. :clap2:

i think the road had just opened? a few years ago. I made really good time.

anyway Op your route looks good. don't forget about needing to stop to rest and rain and or a extremely hot day. 

If your scooter is 125CC or less, you can put the scooter on the train from Pattaya to Bangkok Hua Lampong Station. Friends with big bikes used to travel by train with the bikes for year, but in February 2019 the limit is 125CC.

OP, please do not listen to the sooky boys who are too afraid to live a life.

i have met a lot of people touring around Thailand on scooters, we recently had a couple of young people from Cambodia who were riding to Singapore stay with us, we have a small guesthouse, and they had no problems travelling.

Over the years we have had people from Australia that were riding scoters from singapore to Vietnam stay as well as cyclists from all over the world.

I personally have ridden from well south of Hua Hin to Pattaya easily in a day, once with a drunken Latvian on the back seat.

just plan your route, keep your eyes open and enjoy it while you can.

Read the statistics and interpret them correctly.

there are a lot of motorcycle accidents every day in Thailand But there are a lot more who ride and DO NOT have an accident.

OP, please do not listen to the sooky boys who are too afraid to live a life.
i have met a lot of people touring around Thailand on scooters, we recently had a couple of young people from Cambodia who were riding to Singapore stay with us, we have a small guesthouse, and they had no problems travelling.
Over the years we have had people from Australia that were riding scoters from singapore to Vietnam stay as well as cyclists from all over the world.

I personally have ridden from well south of Hua Hin to Pattaya easily in a day, once with a drunken Latvian on the back seat.

just plan your route, keep your eyes open and enjoy it while you can.

Read the statistics and interpret them correctly.
there are a lot of motorcycle accidents every day in Thailand But there are a lot more who ride and DO NOT have an accident.

Totally agree, everyone wants wrapped up in cotton wool these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, moose7117 said:

once with a drunken Latvian on the back seat

I guess you are proud of your achievement.

What would you have done if she would have fallen down?

Ah, hmm, it was just an accident, not my fault...

And you want to give other people advice how to ride? Yeah, sure ???? 

58 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess you are proud of your achievement.

What would you have done if she would have fallen down?

Ah, hmm, it was just an accident, not my fault...

And you want to give other people advice how to ride? Yeah, sure ???? 

true what was i thinking ?

It is not like he was an American or something that nobody would miss.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:52 AM, Hal65 said:

Ok then. Can someone advise on a route I can take that is legal and comparatively safe? If other Thais ride scooters along that route it would be safe enough for me.

The first leg Pattaya to Chonburi you have 2 options, Sri Ratcha or alongside No 7. I would suggest No 7, less lights and probably easier driving. Unfortunately you cannot go straight out from Pattaya, you need to go in the Sri Ratcha direction and then take the No 36 to the No 7. When you get to the motorway just stay to the left and follow the service(frontage) road which runs alongside the motorway. When you get to the Laem Chabang junction you just need to follow signs for Bangkok. When you get to the Chonburi Junction follow the signs for Chonburi and that will take you on to the Chonburi bypass and just follow the main road, about 4/5 miles and you join Suk coming out of Chonburi, just follow the main road sticking to the service road and it will take you through to Bang Na. Multitude of options from there so best to google it.

An option would be that once across the river after Chonburi, take the 314 to the left and that will take you to Kheha where you can pick up the BTS. That is a fairly straight and easy road.

Archived