Problems With Dog. Please Help.

My dog started bleeding from the mouth. we took her to the vet, she was kept in overnight. we got her back the next day

and she was fine, two nights later, she started bleeding at the mouth again, we took her to a vet nearer home, they used ice, the bleeding stopped. we

took her home, she drank a lot of water, then she started bleeding again, my wife cleaned her up and gave her medicine, this was last night.

Today she is fine again, but my wife says she will probably start bleeding again tonight. she has not lost her appetite and seems fine just now.

Can anybody give me any advice as to what I should do? Thanks.

Any unmotivated bleeding, especially if hard to stop, automatically makes me suspect tick transmitted diseases such as anaplasmosis or ehrlichiosis canis. Did you have her blood chemistry checked? Low platelet count will cause bleeding. Does she have brown/purple spots on her stomach from subcutaneous bleeding?

Sophon

The tick issue is not an overnight fix. It will take a course of treatment to clear up the severety of the problem, then probably on going periodical treatments to keep it under control.

My dogs (live out) get quarterly injections.

28 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Any unmotivated bleeding, especially if hard to stop, automatically makes me suspect tick transmitted diseases such as anaplasmosis or ehrlichiosis canis. Did you have her blood chemistry checked? Low platelet count will cause bleeding. Does she have brown/purple spots on her stomach from subcutaneous bleeding?

What is it about Thailand that makes this so widespread. I recently had a puppy die from ehrlichiosis canis and it took FOREVER the vets to figure out. Finally found a legitimate vet that can do basic bloodwork, and also sends blood to bangkok for testing and confirmation of parasites. 

I have another dog that lives indoors, gets regular grooming and Frontline, never had fleas, and Ive probably only seen a tick two or 3 times, thats had the problem 3 times but I know the symptoms now and catch it early. 

Doxycycline is usually prescribed but if caught too late then its fatal. Bleeding, low platelet, and white gums - very unlikely to survive. 

And its particularly infuriating given how hard it is to put a dog down in Thailand with the vets choosing to let animals suffer rather than catch bad karma. 

OP needs to get the dog to a VET that can do basic blookwork ASAP. 

10 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

And its particularly infuriating given how hard it is to put a dog down in Thailand with the vets choosing to let animals suffer rather than catch bad karma. 

I fully agree with your statement.

I wonder if it would violate TVF rules if pet owners posted the details on vets who are enlightened enough to understand the  need to mercifully euthanize a dying pet?

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Full blood works should be done , could be something as simple as she ate a bone or a sharp objects which is stuck and cutting into some tissue. 

so an X-ray also must be done.

No, it is what the previous posters have said, the vet says it is to do with ticks.

21 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

What is it about Thailand that makes this so widespread. I recently had a puppy die from ehrlichiosis canis and it took FOREVER the vets to figure out. Finally found a legitimate vet that can do basic bloodwork, and also sends blood to bangkok for testing and confirmation of parasites. 

I have another dog that lives indoors, gets regular grooming and Frontline, never had fleas, and Ive probably only seen a tick two or 3 times, thats had the problem 3 times but I know the symptoms now and catch it early. 

Doxycycline is usually prescribed but if caught too late then its fatal. Bleeding, low platelet, and white gums - very unlikely to survive. 

OP needs to get the dog to a VET that can do basic blookwork ASAP. 

The dog has been to the vet and kept in for a day and a night and treated, he probably did Bloodwork.

The vet gave us medicine for her.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

he probably did Bloodwork.

I highly doubt any blood work was done if you were not told about it.  Human doctors hand out pills without blood work.  

What colour is the blood- bright red or brownish?

Does the blood flow out of her mouth, or does it come slowly?

Any cuts in her mouth that you can see?

What tablets were given to her?

Can she eat, is it painful?

our vet gives us a  full report of any blood work done that shows us all the results then explains them to us as well, without this its hard to know exactly what the problem is. You need a vet that does it by the book not by the pocket.

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The dog has been to the vet and kept in for a day and a night and treated, he probably did Bloodwork.

Don't assume that the vet did the blood tests, call and make sure. Also, if they did the tests, make sure that the medicine you got was Doxycycline and that you got enough for at least one month of treatment. It's possible that all you good was some iron supplements. E. canis can be very hard to treat because the blood parasites hide inside the cells.

Seven of our eight dogs tested positive for ehrlichiosis canis (and one for anaplasmosis on top of that) shortly after we moved out to the countryside. The diseases are borne by ticks that live on cows and buffaloes. For one of our dogs we caught it too late, his kidneys were already damaged beyond any chance of survival. Despite the diseases being caught early for the rest (blood test and kidney/liver tests not too bad), two of them still didn't make it, one more died of kidney failure and one of collapse of his blood platelets despite giving him blood transfusions. The outcome is to a certain degree decided by how strong the dogs immune system is, especially older dogs (and puppies) can have a hard time getting rid of the parasites. For our oldest dog, it took six months of Doxy before his blood values were back to normal.

If you want to make sure what is going on, you can ask the vet if they can do a snap test (should be around 700-800 Baht). If they have the snap test, it will show exactly what kind of disease your dog has. However, the treatment will probably be Doxycycline no matter what.

Sophon

Sounds like tick fever. Here on Samui lots of ticks March/April and August/September.

So many ticks now that dog owners are finding them on their own bodies! Most owners do treat their dogs for ticks but it takes a while for the ticks to die. Then the strays come along anyway!

1 minute ago, faraday said:

What colour is the blood- bright red or brownish?

Does the blood flow out of her mouth, or does it come slowly?

Any cuts in her mouth that you can see?

What tablets were given to her?

Can she eat, is it painful?

1 The blood is bright red. 2 very slowly. 3 If there was any cuts I would think the vet would have told us, so I would say no. 4 She was given tablets, but I do not know, my wife takes care of it. 5 Has good appetite, and drank a lot of water, does not appear to be in any distress.

7 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Don't assume that the vet did the blood tests, call and make sure. Also, if they did the tests, make sure that the medicine you got was Doxycycline and that you got enough for at least one month of treatment. It's possible that all you good was some iron supplements. E. canis can be very hard to treat because the blood parasites hide inside the cells.

Seven of our eight dogs tested positive for ehrlichiosis canis (and one for anaplasmosis on top of that) shortly after we moved out to the countryside. The diseases are borne by ticks that live on cows and buffaloes. For one of our dogs we caught it too late, his kidneys were already damaged beyond any chance of survival. Despite the diseases being caught early for the rest (blood test and kidney/liver tests not too bad), two of them still didn't make it, one more died of kidney failure and one of collapse of his blood platelets despite giving him blood transfusions. The outcome is to a certain degree decided by how strong the dogs immune system is, especially older dogs (and puppies) can have a hard time getting rid of the parasites. For our oldest dog, it took six months of Doxy before his blood values were back to normal.

If you want to make sure what is going on, you can ask the vet if they can do a snap test (should be around 700-800 Baht). If they have the snap test, it will show exactly what kind of disease your dog has. However, the treatment will probably be Doxycycline no matter what.

Sophon

Whatever the vet did, we were charged over 1000 Bt and the dog was kept in overnight. The vet was not in when we took her, so his assistant kept her for one night and one full day.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

1 The blood is bright red. 2 very slowly. 3 If there was any cuts I would think the vet would have told us, so I would say no. 4 She was given tablets, but I do not know, my wife takes care of it. 5 Has good appetite, and drank a lot of water, does not appear to be in any distress.

"Has good appetite, and drank a lot of water, does not appear to be in any distress".

If she has ehrlichiosis canis or one of the other tick diseases this means nothing. The dog will act and eat normally until it's too late to do anything. We had a dog who comes to our gate for food acting normally in the morning, in the evening she was bleeding from her nose and we took her to the vet. She died the next day.

Sophon

42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Whatever the vet did, we were charged over 1000 Bt and the dog was kept in overnight. The vet was not in when we took her, so his assistant kept her for one night and one full day.

Just look on the medicine packet they gave to you and see if any of them are “doxy” or “doxycycline”. List the meds here. That will tell us a lot about what they suspect is going on. Usually you get iron supplements too. 

And you need to find out if they did a blood test or not. 

IMO you don’t seem very receptive to the advice you’re being given. 

10 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

Just look on the medicine packet they gave to you and see if any of them are “doxy” or “doxycycline”. List the meds here. That will tell us a lot about what they suspect is going on. Usually you get iron supplements too. 

And you need to find out if they did a blood test or not. 

IMO you don’t seem very receptive to the advice you’re being given. 

I don't understand your last sentence, but the medicine packets are all in Thai. there are 

4 packets altogether. I will describe them. 1. Light blue pills 2. a sort of pinkish brown color 3. small round pills in a sort of flesh color 4. smaller yellow pills.

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I fully agree with your statement.

I wonder if it would violate TVF rules if pet owners posted the details on vets who are enlightened enough to understand the  need to mercifully euthanize a dying pet?

I am in a similar position. Have a crossed poodle with some other breed but is poodle size. Using the 7 to 1 calculation she is now nearly 116 years old, totally blind, totally deaf and it is painful to watch her walking into furniture banging her head. This is a constant activity. She is incontinent and pee's and poo's in the house. For me it is cruel to let her live such a life, my wife who understands the situation says 'we have to wait for her (the dog) to die naturally'.

I say again that it is cruel to allow this to continue.

1 hour ago, faraday said:

My wife told me the vet says it was ticks, but we may try another vet and see what happens. I do know

that the dog had tick problems before. I am trying your links but they are not working.

22 minutes ago, mallee said:

I am in a similar position. Have a crossed poodle with some other breed but is poodle size. Using the 7 to 1 calculation she is now nearly 116 years old, totally blind, totally deaf and it is painful to watch her walking into furniture banging her head. This is a constant activity. She is incontinent and pee's and poo's in the house. For me it is cruel to let her live such a life, my wife who understands the situation says 'we have to wait for her (the dog) to die naturally'.

I say again that it is cruel to allow this to continue.

I agree with you entirely.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:21 AM, CharlieH said:

The tick issue is not an overnight fix. It will take a course of treatment to clear up the severety of the problem, then probably on going periodical treatments to keep it under control.

My dogs (live out) get quarterly injections.

Off topic, but when my dogs had tick-borne blood parasites they were treated with an initial injection (followed by another 10 mins. later to stop the bad side-effects/possibly the other way round), and then another injection a month later - plus tablets.

But this shouldn't be happening anymore as Nexguard Spectra actually works!  My dogs were continually suffering from tick-borne blood parasites - but nothing for a couple of years now since Bravecto and then Nexguard Spectra were introduced.

On 4/26/2019 at 8:46 AM, possum1931 said:

No, it is what the previous posters have said, the vet says it is to do with ticks.

Did Vet run any blood tests to determine it? or just guessing? There are 3 different blood tests for parasites,

Just recently, my old girl stopped to eat, took her to the Vets and it was determined kidney failure with very poor prognosis for the future.

They ran blood tests and parasites were negative.

She stayed 10 days in the hospital, force fed but still did not get better.

For some reason, it hit me to ask Vet to run different parasite test and it came back positive.

I advised Vet to strop treating kidney failure and to start on parasite treatment, which is meds for 30 days.

30 days later, she still did not really get better and was still forced fed, another about 15 days and she fully recovered.

Ran all blood works again and kidney function recovered to 90% which is more than good enough for  13 year old dog.

I have 9 dogs and parasites is NOT new to me, have never seen or heard dog bleeding due to parasites. but parasites may have affected some organ, 

So once again, full blood works with an xray to determine why and where the bleed is from

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Did Vet run any blood tests to determine it? or just guessing? There are 3 different blood tests for parasites,

Just recently, my old girl stopped to eat, took her to the Vets and it was determined kidney failure with very poor prognosis for the future.

They ran blood tests and parasites were negative.

She stayed 10 days in the hospital, force fed but still did not get better.

For some reason, it hit me to ask Vet to run different parasite test and it came back positive.

I advised Vet to strop treating kidney failure and to start on parasite treatment, which is meds for 30 days.

30 days later, she still did not really get better and was still forced fed, another about 15 days and she fully recovered.

Ran all blood works again and kidney function recovered to 90% which is more than good enough for  13 year old dog.

I have 9 dogs and parasites is NOT new to me, have never seen or heard dog bleeding due to parasites. but parasites may have affected some organ, 

So once again, full blood works with an xray to determine why and where the bleed is from

Excellent post thanks, my dog is only half the age of yours, and I'm glad she fully recovered.

Two different vets have told me the blood coming from the dogs mouth is caused by ticks, I have googled this and cannot find any connection with ticks and blood coming from my dogs mouth, there is not a lot, and the dog seems happy, and has not lost it's appetite.

Just thought I'd mention it.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Two different vets have told me the blood coming from the dogs mouth is caused by ticks, I have googled this and cannot find any connection with ticks and blood coming from my dogs mouth, there is not a lot, and the dog seems happy, and has not lost it's appetite.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I don't think it is serious at all really, having googled it, it seems there is not a connection with Ticks.

I'll wager it's a gum problem; but as you say the dog is happy & eating, then I'd wait a little to see what happens.

As it happens while posting this, I can hear our 12 week puppy trying to destroy my CAT sandals - little bugger!:laugh:

Please update this thread if your dog's condition worsens.

2019-04-29 07.26.32.jpg

Archived