BANGKOK 22 May 2019 06:04
possum1931

Problems With Dog. Please Help.

My dog started bleeding from the mouth. we took her to the vet, she was kept in overnight. we got her back the next day

and she was fine, two nights later, she started bleeding at the mouth again, we took her to a vet nearer home, they used ice, the bleeding stopped. we

took her home, she drank a lot of water, then she started bleeding again, my wife cleaned her up and gave her medicine, this was last night.

Today she is fine again, but my wife says she will probably start bleeding again tonight. she has not lost her appetite and seems fine just now.

Can anybody give me any advice as to what I should do? Thanks.

The tick issue is not an overnight fix. It will take a course of treatment to clear up the severety of the problem, then probably on going periodical treatments to keep it under control.

My dogs (live out) get quarterly injections.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Any unmotivated bleeding, especially if hard to stop, automatically makes me suspect tick transmitted diseases such as anaplasmosis or ehrlichiosis canis. Did you have her blood chemistry checked? Low platelet count will cause bleeding. Does she have brown/purple spots on her stomach from subcutaneous bleeding?

What is it about Thailand that makes this so widespread. I recently had a puppy die from ehrlichiosis canis and it took FOREVER the vets to figure out. Finally found a legitimate vet that can do basic bloodwork, and also sends blood to bangkok for testing and confirmation of parasites. 

I have another dog that lives indoors, gets regular grooming and Frontline, never had fleas, and Ive probably only seen a tick two or 3 times, thats had the problem 3 times but I know the symptoms now and catch it early. 

Doxycycline is usually prescribed but if caught too late then its fatal. Bleeding, low platelet, and white gums - very unlikely to survive. 

And its particularly infuriating given how hard it is to put a dog down in Thailand with the vets choosing to let animals suffer rather than catch bad karma. 

OP needs to get the dog to a VET that can do basic blookwork ASAP. 

• Like 1

Full blood works should be done , could be something as simple as she ate a bone or a sharp objects which is stuck and cutting into some tissue. 

so an X-ray also must be done.

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Full blood works should be done , could be something as simple as she ate a bone or a sharp objects which is stuck and cutting into some tissue. 

so an X-ray also must be done.

No, it is what the previous posters have said, the vet says it is to do with ticks.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

What is it about Thailand that makes this so widespread. I recently had a puppy die from ehrlichiosis canis and it took FOREVER the vets to figure out. Finally found a legitimate vet that can do basic bloodwork, and also sends blood to bangkok for testing and confirmation of parasites. 

I have another dog that lives indoors, gets regular grooming and Frontline, never had fleas, and Ive probably only seen a tick two or 3 times, thats had the problem 3 times but I know the symptoms now and catch it early. 

Doxycycline is usually prescribed but if caught too late then its fatal. Bleeding, low platelet, and white gums - very unlikely to survive. 

And its particularly infuriating given how hard it is to put a dog down in Thailand with the vets choosing to let animals suffer rather than catch bad karma. 

OP needs to get the dog to a VET that can do basic blookwork ASAP. 

The dog has been to the vet and kept in for a day and a night and treated, he probably did Bloodwork.

The vet gave us medicine for her.

Edited by possum1931

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

he probably did Bloodwork.

I highly doubt any blood work was done if you were not told about it.  Human doctors hand out pills without blood work.  

• Like 1

What colour is the blood- bright red or brownish?

Does the blood flow out of her mouth, or does it come slowly?

Any cuts in her mouth that you can see?

What tablets were given to her?

Can she eat, is it painful?

our vet gives us a  full report of any blood work done that shows us all the results then explains them to us as well, without this its hard to know exactly what the problem is. You need a vet that does it by the book not by the pocket.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I highly doubt any blood work was done if you were not told about it.  Human doctors hand out pills without blood work.  

PM on it's way.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The dog has been to the vet and kept in for a day and a night and treated, he probably did Bloodwork.

Don't assume that the vet did the blood tests, call and make sure. Also, if they did the tests, make sure that the medicine you got was Doxycycline and that you got enough for at least one month of treatment. It's possible that all you good was some iron supplements. E. canis can be very hard to treat because the blood parasites hide inside the cells.

Seven of our eight dogs tested positive for ehrlichiosis canis (and one for anaplasmosis on top of that) shortly after we moved out to the countryside. The diseases are borne by ticks that live on cows and buffaloes. For one of our dogs we caught it too late, his kidneys were already damaged beyond any chance of survival. Despite the diseases being caught early for the rest (blood test and kidney/liver tests not too bad), two of them still didn't make it, one more died of kidney failure and one of collapse of his blood platelets despite giving him blood transfusions. The outcome is to a certain degree decided by how strong the dogs immune system is, especially older dogs (and puppies) can have a hard time getting rid of the parasites. For our oldest dog, it took six months of Doxy before his blood values were back to normal.

If you want to make sure what is going on, you can ask the vet if they can do a snap test (should be around 700-800 Baht). If they have the snap test, it will show exactly what kind of disease your dog has. However, the treatment will probably be Doxycycline no matter what.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like tick fever. Here on Samui lots of ticks March/April and August/September.

So many ticks now that dog owners are finding them on their own bodies! Most owners do treat their dogs for ticks but it takes a while for the ticks to die. Then the strays come along anyway!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, faraday said:

What colour is the blood- bright red or brownish?

Does the blood flow out of her mouth, or does it come slowly?

Any cuts in her mouth that you can see?

What tablets were given to her?

Can she eat, is it painful?

1 The blood is bright red. 2 very slowly. 3 If there was any cuts I would think the vet would have told us, so I would say no. 4 She was given tablets, but I do not know, my wife takes care of it. 5 Has good appetite, and drank a lot of water, does not appear to be in any distress.