TM30 about to get serious in Bangkok?

10 minutes ago, MrMuddle said:

Asking as I may be required to stay in Bangok for a while, undergoing medical treatment, in June of this year.

Not sure about the TM-28 question, but be aware that some hospitals will report you via a TM-30, assuming you stay overnight, and are not an out-patient.

I haven't seen a lot of TM-28 enforcement issues/reports, but the letter of law says...so it could be tomorrow's hot button?

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following :
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the
Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law
concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the
law concerned.
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason
that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official
of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.
3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty
– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not
located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the
police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival

• Like 1

If it is true that one must report to Immigration after having stayed in a hotel away from your place of residence, I would expect more foreigners and their families to stop staying in hotels, and rather book apartments etc. I find it is more the 4 -5 star hotels that request passport details from me, even though booking is in my wife's name. Imagine if one goes away twice p.m. out of Bangkok - one has to report to Immigration every time - not for me! Cheaper hotels and apartments will be the answer.

Looking more and more likely that I will have to make 3 - 4 trips to CW Immigration in the next few months, as follows: Request letter addressed to Police HQ for police clearance (requirement now on visa extensions for South Africans and other countries Thailand considers dicey - apparently anyone from Africa), address certification for MV license, TM30 check, application for one year extension, return after 1 month to have visa extension stamped in my passport and re entry permit. What a mission!  Lucky that I manage to complete my 90 day reports online.

20 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

...I guess my point was that there is a range for the fine, and there is the potential to increase the fine for repeat offenders from zero, up to a maximum of 2,000 baht.

Yes, there is a range, in section 77, but this applies only to the courts, not to the immigration offices.

21 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

If you think CW is busy now just wait until this TM30 gets going there!

By all accounts, it is already going. Queue numbers into the 200 range, wait times of 2 1/2 hours, Thai landlords with reams of paper reporting all their tenants, foreigners self reporting.

By all accounts, it is already going. Queue numbers into the 200 range, wait times of 2 1/2 hours, Thai landlords with reams of paper reporting all their tenants, foreigners self reporting.

It's still not being enforced for all Extensions. Some of our teachers did their annual Extensions on Wednesday and none of them have ever done a TM30. All were processed without being fined, although they were told to get it before next time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 5/9/2019 at 4:10 AM, impulse said:

Wow.  Guess you've never moved hotels on your journeys.  As pesky as they may be to the dwelling owners, if a foreigner robs a bank, rapes a woman, or drives away from a DUI accident, don't you think it would be handy to know where he's staying?

Gosh wish I was as clever as you ..really. When I put the address of where I’m staying, in 24 hrs I’ll still be there because it’s my home. Any more useless input?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Gosh wish I was as clever as you ..really. When I put the address of where I’m staying, in 24 hrs I’ll still be there because it’s my home. Any more useless input?

That's probably the case for a tiny percentage of the 30-40 million foreigners who fill in a TM6 each year.   Go back to your original statement about TM6 x TM30 - the one I was replying to- and let me know how you'd support it.

Nice insult, BTW.  

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

First post on here - thanks in advance for your help.

I've read through this thread and it appears that legally a landlord/house owner/condo/apartment owner is required to submit a TM-30 form for foreigners that are residing in their residence. Some people are never asked about this when they go to extend/report at immigration and others have been fined. Seems that its up to the immigration officer. I get that. 

For me - I am on an education visa and need to extend at the end of July at CW in Bangkok. I'm staying in a studio apartment building and have a very uncooperative manager/staff here who told me yesterday that they wouldn't be submitting a TM-30 form because they're worried if they do it once, they have to do it all the time. Not a lot I can do about that. I've already paid 2 months rent as a deposit so moving on isn't a very attractive option.

So my question is - what options do I have? Can I submit the TM-30 form myself and see if I get a receipt back? If I take my rental lease agreement/contract to immigration with photos of my place, receipts of paying rent are they likely to let me away with it? I feel like my hands are tied! Any advice/help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:10 AM, impulse said:

Wow.  Guess you've never moved hotels on your journeys.  As pesky as they may be to the dwelling owners, if a foreigner robs a bank, rapes a woman, or drives away from a DUI accident, don't you think it would be handy to know where he's staying?

If a foreigner committing a crime is considerate enough to the police to leave his name, passport number and TM6 form number at the scene of the crime, he will probably also leave them the address where he can be contacted. A foreigner trying to evade justice will likely leave none of these clues for the police, and move away from their current residence (if not out of the country altogether).

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

If a foreigner committing a crime is considerate enough to the police to leave his name, passport number and TM6 form number at the scene of the crime, he will probably also leave them the address where he can be contacted. A foreigner trying to evade justice will likely leave none of these clues for the police, and move away from their current residence (if not out of the country altogether).

I'm recalling a bombing incident in BKK where they tracked down the suspects to where they lived.

Edit:  I don't recall the exact details, but I do remember thinking at the time that they'd have an easier job of it if the TM30 system was actually reliable.

Edited by impulse

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm recalling a bombing incident in BKK where they tracked down the suspects to where they lived.

Edit:  I don't recall the exact details, but I do remember thinking at the time that they'd have an easier job of it if the TM30 system was actually reliable.

but any half switched on terrorist is going to be smarter than letting the authorities know where they can find them.

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

Do you think the possibility of a fine would have convinced the Erawan bombers that they should self report their address to the police? That is apparently the logic for the crackdown where, not hotel owners and those renting to foreigners, but the foreigners themselves are being fined for a failure to report their whereabouts when moving to a new address. Note that foreigners are not always required to do this. For trips in Thailand, most immigration offices do not enforce TM30 reports. So, you will be fined, sometimes, for not reporting your current address to pressure international terrorists into reporting their whereabouts, sometimes.

I know this is a Bangkok thread but living in Samut Prakan this is how it practically works for me.

I come back into the country and at the airport get a new TM6 form/number linked to  my passport and visa.

Visit Samut Prakan immigration the next working day.

Sit there for between 10 minutes and 2 hours depending on workload.

Person looks me up online and asks me if i still live at same address. First time owner came in person since then checked by phone once.

Enters or checks new TM6 number (not certain but seems like in SP at least they can already see the TM6 against passport).

Stamps my receipt of notification todays date  and staples it back in my passport .

Staples a warning  paper that I must report within 90 days.

I take photo of new TM6 number, immigration stamp and notification receipt date.

Send those details via Line to owner who does online reporting.

I have done some hotel stays in Thailand. Immigration said the hotels do online reporting against passport and TM6. If you don't leave the country the TM6 number doesn't change - you don't have to report again when you come home  provided you are staying in the same permanent place and your 90 days have not elapsed.    Whether this is law or Samut Prakan implementation I don't know.

At first we thought just the owner needed to report but they told her I had to get the receipt stamped as well.

Neither I or my owner have ever been fined and i've done six overseas trips and 3 hotel stays since this started.

I know this is a Bangkok thread but living in Samut Prakan this is how it practically works for me.

I come back into the country and at the airport get a new TM6 form/number linked to  my passport and visa.
Visit Samut Prakan immigration the next working day.
Sit there for between 10 minutes and 2 hours depending on workload.
Person looks me up online and asks me if i still live at same address. First time owner came in person since then checked by phone once.
Enters or checks new TM6 number (not certain but seems like in SP at least they can already see the TM6 against passport).
Stamps my receipt of notification todays date  and staples it back in my passport .
Staples a warning  paper that I must report within 90 days.
I take photo of new TM6 number, immigration stamp and notification receipt date.
Send those details via Line to owner who does online reporting.

I have done some hotel stays in Thailand. Immigration said the hotels do online reporting against passport and TM6. If you don't leave the country the TM6 number doesn't change - you don't have to report again when you come home  provided you are staying in the same permanent place and your 90 days have not elapsed.    Whether this is law or Samut Prakan implementation I don't know.

At first we thought just the owner needed to report but they told her I had to get the receipt stamped as well.
Neither I or my owner have ever been fined and i've done six overseas trips and 3 hotel stays since this started.

What a major pain. I truly hope Chaengwattana doesn't go that far.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1