TM30 about to get serious in Bangkok?

44 minutes ago, Too young to be old said:

I have been reading about this TM30 for awhile. I live in the UK, but married to a Thai. When we visit Thailand we, me and two sons stay with her parents for a week or two. Do they have to register us? According to Thai law our two sons are Thai, as one of their parents (mother) is Thai. Do they need to be registered (they only have British passports)?

I imagine Immigration would consider the sons by which passport they enter on, British.

Technically you should be doing TM30 for all foreign passports but if you have no later business with immigration, extending stay etc, not really necessary. They would only know a report hasn't been done if you turned up wanting an extension..

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

I returned from a trip abroad on 20th. June last year and, within 24 hrs., did a TM30 at my local police station, which is 300m away, as opposed to an 80km trip to Khon Kaen. My friendly IO at KK Imm. (and my wife's friend) called that same day and reminded me not to forget to do the TM30. She was told I'd already done it and her reply was 'OK, pop into the office next time you're passing'. When I did so 3 or 4 weeks later, the police station TM30 receipt was checked and KK Imm. (not my friendly IO, btw) issued their own receipt dated the day of the visit. I then had 2 receipts related to that return from abroad. That was it - no hassle, no talk of a fine, no warning not to do it again.

Coming back from a trip to Vietnam in March this year; TM 30 within 24 hours at local police station again then took that to KK Imm. 'when I was passing' 10 days later (no friendly reminder call this time). Exactly as before (different IO again) - checked police TM30 receipt and then issued their own dated that day. Once again, 2 receipts for that return to Thailand - I keep them both in my passport. Once again, no hassle, just chat and smiles.

No doubt I'll get caught out one of these days but, until then, the way I do it works well for me. Maybe KK Imm. is 'special' - ???????? .

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

Perhaps immigration should post big signs in airports and border crossings warning all travellers, tourists and resident aliens that they are responsible for ensuring their location is accurately reported within 24hrs to an immigration office at all times after travelling to a new location or the aliens risk being responsible for a fine.
They actually say the opposite. The TM 6 departure card says"if the alien stays longer than 90 days he/she must notify in writing the nearest immigration office concerning place of stay" Immigration Act 2522.

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

You just can’t comprehend it can you.

They don’t even bloody know mate. 

If you want to make special trips to Immigration and pay them for no reason then go ahead. 

I am actually making it better for everyone by not clogging up the queues at immigration.

Let me tell you a small secret, But shhhh.. There are many eyes watching these forums, and not just foreign eyes NA..

Other than that,  They can be extremely vigilant and perceptive when it comes to extracting fines out of foreigners.

• Like 1

Just now, LongTang said:

Let me tell you a small secret, But shhhh.. There are many eyes watching these forums, and not just foreign eyes NA..

Other than that,  They can be extremely vigilant and perceptive when it comes to extracting fines out of foreigners.

Ohh....you know people....like super important people?

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Incorrect! The hotel SHOULD have looked at and noted your PP details when you checked in, and then reported you as a guest to Immigration - see my #29

Like I said, no marks in your passport and the hotel does all the work. 

Most guests wouldnt even know about they did it.

So the new procedure is as soon as I get back into town and rent (not a hotel but rent) a place then its off to CW, nah?
I wouldn't bother. Wait until you next have cause to visit CW and see what happens. The worst is that you may be fined, but there is still no evidence that everyone is being targeted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just wait until it happens to you.

Never been asked for TM 30 after 10 years in and out of the country. AirBNB in Bangkok, back to Pattaya, more AirBNB in Chiang Mai, back to Pattaya. 

So just wait , will it happen to you? Who knows. 

39 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I wouldn't bother. Wait until you next have cause to visit CW and see what happens. The worst is that you may be fined, but there is still no evidence that everyone is being targeted.

Well my address will be a new one.....

10 hours ago, R123 said:

I know this has been asked many times before but:

If living in Thailand on a retirement visa with re-entry permit (CW office) then I take a trip outside Thailand...on return to Thailand , do I need to go to Immigration to file a TM 30 within 24 hours?

Even though address etc not changed? 

No, you don't have to go to the immigration office. Just mail the TM.30 to them, together with the same document copies that you used to give them on your personal visits.

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Like I said, no marks in your passport and the hotel does all the work. 

Most guests wouldnt even know about they did it.

Agree the guest would never know, but you said "Immigration has no idea"

THAT was the incorrect bit - Immigration does know because the hotel reports the guest but doesn't need to bother the guest with it.

All moot unless and until the guest needs to go to Immigration, ie to extend a visa - as I pointed out above.

40 minutes ago, VBF said:

Agree the guest would never know, but you said "Immigration has no idea"

THAT was the incorrect bit - Immigration does know because the hotel reports the guest but doesn't need to bother the guest with it.

All moot unless and until the guest needs to go to Immigration, ie to extend a visa - as I pointed out above.

I think you missed my point. I actually did it. 

Pattaya Immigration does not know if I stayed in a pHuket hotel or not. How would they know?

I went to immigration. I lied. And they didn’t know. I posted it so other people don’t waste their time. If you don’t believe me no problem, go waste your time and fill in a useless form.

I go on lots of small trips all over Thailand. A lot of the places I go don’t even ask me for my ID. They are not reporting it. Some would.

So if some do, and some don’t, and I don’t bother to report when I come back, then why have I never had an issue. If their system was so good, they would know and fine me. 

But they don’t. Because they can’t.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I think you missed my point. I actually did it. 

Pattaya Immigration does not know if I stayed in a pHuket hotel or not. How would they know?

I went to immigration. I lied. And they didn’t know. I posted it so other people don’t waste their time. If you don’t believe me no problem, go waste your time and fill in a useless form.

I go on lots of small trips all over Thailand. A lot of the places I go don’t even ask me for my ID. They are not reporting it. Some would.

So if some do, and some don’t, and I don’t bother to report when I come back, then why have I never had an issue. If their system was so good, they would know and fine me. 

But they don’t. Because they can’t.

Yes Rob but you're missing my point

Pattaya Immigration does not know if I stayed in a Phuket hotel - agreed

BUT...Pattaya Immigration does know if i stay in a Pattaya hotel so when I go fo my 30 day extension to my SETV they ask for a TM30 OR the printout to which I referred above. (#29)

And like you...I've done it...3 times!

Edited by VBF

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

See if you can register for the online system, its no longer just for hotels, I registered in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago and can now report myself or guests at my condo , online.

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Can you share any details regarding your registration and use of this online system? Have you successfully reported anyone so far? Was the system reliable and easy to use?

What credentials are required to register?

Any specific browser requirements? (Looks to be IE 8.1 and Chrome)

In English? (Looks to be Thai only)

Is it always available (7x24)?

Are you issued a receipt upon completion of a report?

Thanks.

There is a user's guide (in Thai only) Address_manual_1 (1).pdf

And an Excel sheet with detail tabs (form, sample, arrival point, visa type, etc.)

Re: visa type, I assume an ext of stay/ret is code 4?

visa_type.jpg

26 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you share any details regarding your registration and use of this online system? Have you successfully reported anyone so far? Was the system reliable and easy to use?

I haven't reported anyone as yet but it all looks likes it will work. It opens the screen for the data to be entered etc. I am able to make a dummy entry and delete it.

The registration is mostly in Thai/English but a couple of fields and webpage messages in Thai, so you may need someone to help read. The credentials are your details, ID if Thai, passport if foreign, the property details, address, number from blue book, choose from pull down menus etc. You attach a copy of the blue book (some other choices).

Send it off and an email conformation comes back, a week or so later they send you a username and password.

I dont know about the availability or reliability I presume its 24/7 but like 90 day system sometimes maybe not working. Its the hotel system so it is being used everyday.

There must be a print option as its the same system hotels use and they can print out a receipt.

• Like 1

Nobody has reported getting fined in Bangkok so whats your point?

You're wrong. There are numerous reports on the Facebook Thai Visa page and on this Forum, that there seems to have been a policy change at Chaengwattana and people are being sent to the TM30 desk and fined 800 baht.

Whether this is happening to ALL extensions remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Actually there have been several reports this week (seems to have started on  Tue 23/4 or Wed 24/4 in earnest) from Chaeng Watthana of people being halted during the extension process for not having a TM30, they were directed to the new TM30/800 baht tip jar where interns are furiously trying to keep up with demand, then back to get the extension approved.

The big question is: does this affect one's future applications, or should we just plan on paying the 800 baht fine each year?

It's bad enough having to pay the 800 baht fine, but not so bad if they were allowed to finish their Extension. I read that some didn't have their Landlord's ID or Blue book, or copy of their lease, so were sent away to get them.

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's bad enough having to pay the 800 baht fine, but not so bad if they were allowed to finish their Extension. I read that some didn't have their Landlord's ID or Blue book, or copy of their lease, so were sent away to get them.

on Wed 24th I couldn't extend my non-immigrant (retirement) visa at Chaeng Wattana until I'd paid the T M 30 fine. Used a telephone bill to prove my address. 

Can anyone say whether T M 30s can be submitted by post?

• Like 2

on Wed 24th I couldn't extend my non-immigrant (retirement) visa at Chaeng Wattana until I'd paid the T M 30 fine. Used a telephone bill to prove my address. 

Did you also need to submit a TM30 form with your Landlord's ID, Blue book, copy of lease etc? Or just pay fine? If the latter, what did they say about next year?

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

But the reality is, that of the 35 million or so arrivals each year, only a very small percentage of those get hassled about a TM30. I certainly do not see even a small fraction of those attending immigration. Just us long term residents. The TM30 is designed for property owners to register foreigners. If you own your own property, registering you are there is silly. If you rent property out to a foreigner, you should be responsible to do it, or any agent doing it on your behalf. To fine the renter, is an opportunistic money grab. 

If course you have to register yourself if you own your own property.

As for your comment that only a small fraction gets hassled by TM30 I think you are grossly mistaken. Only a small percentage of foreigners are registered on Thai Visa yet that "small percentage" is getting fined as witnessed on this very thread.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aree2 said:

Yes, my wife uses the mail for TM 30 reports of people visiting our home. She sends them to CW.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Did you also need to submit a TM30 form with your Landlord's ID, Blue book, copy of lease etc? Or just pay fine? If the latter, what did they say about next year?

No other docs requested. Used telephone bill to prove my address and just paid the fine. Had copy of lease with me, but didn't use it.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

If course you have to register yourself if you own your own property.

As for your comment that only a small fraction gets hassled by TM30 I think you are grossly mistaken. Only a small percentage of foreigners are registered on Thai Visa yet that "small percentage" is getting fined as witnessed on this very thread.

I disagree, I have never submitted a TM30. Although if it became obligated I would comply, it is just stupid to require it of me when I return to Thailand. Of course I am returning to my own residence, 24 hours to get to immigration and submit a TM30 is unrealistic, and simply a money grab.

I doubt immigration could process 35 million TM30s per year!